jonboy99

I'm New Here
Jul 2, 2018
VetteCoins
Hi,
I've never owned a vette before, and considering buying a c6 (2009). The car is pretty much stock but the owner has replaced the headunit to work with android auto etc. It looks a pretty decent unit, but I wasn't sure if this is likely to cause issues.
With modern cars the head units are all tied in to the electronics settings, diagnostics etc. I'm not even sure if you could replace the head unit on my 2018 subaru without losing all kinds of needed functionality.
Is this going to be a problem with a 2009 corvette, or is the headunit pretty much radio and CD only, with other car settings separated off?
Do you loose the ability to change any in-car settings that aren't related to the radio?
Thanks for reading!
Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc_Light
As with any used vehicle purchase, especially a Corvette, a full mechanical inspection by an arm's length professional is well advised. One that can also pull up any codes that are thrown would also be advised. If the head interferes with electrical functionality, I would think that should show up in the codes. JMO

Hi,
I've never owned a vette before, and considering buying a c6 (2009). The car is pretty much stock but the owner has replaced the headunit to work with android auto etc. It looks a pretty decent unit, but I wasn't sure if this is likely to cause issues.
With modern cars the head units are all tied in to the electronics settings, diagnostics etc. I'm not even sure if you could replace the head unit on my 2018 subaru without losing all kinds of needed functionality.
Is this going to be a problem with a 2009 corvette, or is the headunit pretty much radio and CD only, with other car settings separated off?
Do you loose the ability to change any in-car settings that aren't related to the radio?
Thanks for reading!
Jon
Hey Jon,

I replaced the head unit in my '05 this year and had no impact on the car settings whatsoever. They are all managed via the dash display using the controls on the right of the cluster. I will note that my model does not have steering wheel controls for audio so the changeover was very simple. The model you're looking at is newer so it may have a few extra features but I don't believe any of the car settings were integrated to the radio in the C6 line.

It should be noted that you need the wiring interface kit from Aftermarket unit to the OEM harness. Te Pac Audio RP5-GM11 harness will retrofit all functions including Onstar. The RP4-GM11 harness is more specific working with Bose cars but doesn't retain OnStar. Both come with steering wheel controls. I know the RP5 comes with door chime retention, not sure about RP4. Some prefer the RP4 because they find the steering wheel controls to be more easily customizable. If you don't care for OnStar go with the RP4, but just double check to make sure you retain door chime.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.