BADA55

I'm New Here
You're 5
May 18, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
good, on an evening cruises, sitting at a red light and............

Attachments

• 11822289_10153070095620687_280889318834420464_n.jpg
    11822289_10153070095620687_280889318834420464_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
everyone is ok........Its had a complete body off, every bolt replaced and drive train rebuilt and I was just starting the interior. Now my vette guy says the whole rear clip needs to be replaced and the frame is bent. The cost of the repair is probably going to be more than the value of he car. There goes another number matching car?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That really really sucks! If it was a legitimate accident, fine, but how long have people been told to not text and drive!? I hope they squash that other person's license for a while.
Sorry to hear about this, hopefully they can repair your car back to new.

Rear clip + bent frame = write off. Please tell me you had an agreed value policy. Hopefully you find a decent replacement.

I disagree, rear clip can be replaced ( actually every single panel on a c3 can be replaced) and frames can be repaired or even replaced. There is company doing stainless steel frames for the c3 or even a c4 frame for restomods. Lots of possibilities. Don't be so quick to write off.

Not my first rodeo.

Have you got the skill set to strip, remove, prep, re bond, glass, prime and paint this body? Never mind the room and time? Do you have access to a frame jig, the patience to remove the entire body, drive train and suspension? All this is a mute point if there's no insurance money to help in the costs. I estimate the damage at at least $ 10,000 - $15,000 if I was doing the work.

This was why I asked earlier if an agreed value policy was in place. Throughout my restoration, my agreed value has increased every year, just for this very reason. In the event of an accident and 'total loss' as far as Hagerty is concerned; I would at least have a good sum of cash with which to make an educated decision as to whether or not to save her.

Not everyone on here has that skill set, and when tragedy strikes, the insurance money goes pretty fast when you drop off that amount of damage at a reputable shop. He may not have the option to bring it back if he's relying on secondary parties.

Hope this isn't the case, but if that car had an agreed upon value of less than $30,000; then an adjuster will be hard pressed to justify not writing it off.

The other big issue that can arise is the potential resale hit when trying to sell a car that 's been branded as salvage. If the insurance company writes it off, and you buy it back to fix yourself, you carry the 'branded' title with you come resell time.

Last edited:
My '68 AMX was written off and I bought it back from Silver Wheels and had it repaired by a very good shop to better than before the crunch and had a little money left over. The car was not "branded". I tracked down parts for a lot less than the insurance company could find them. They go for convenience. Took me a good six months to find the pieces... but it was through Winter for most of the time anyway. Got the car back at the beginning of April :)
Mine was $14,000 agreed value minus the $2500 buyback.
David

Good for you, love to hear success stories. Most of the ones I've been been involved with over the years haven't been as fortunate. As you say, the insurance company is looking for convenience - very important point. If you don't have the resourcefulness that you did, the outcome can be pretty awful sometimes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.