Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Well it is not a Corvette but rather a piece of one of their most fierce competitors. This bodywork was found by David Grant and posted on the HAMB. It appears to be the rear aluminum clip off of a Cobra 289 FIA race car from 1963. It may be from a car that was driven by the late great Dave MacDonald. MacDonald was a Chevrolet Corvette racer and Shelby hired him in 1963 to drive the Cobra's in the US and Internationally.

MacDonald lost his life in 1964 driving one of Mickey Thompson's Indy cars. The horrific accident claimed the life of Indy Driver Eddie Sachs as well. The Thompson cars ran on gasoline and it was banned by the speedway after the accident.

The question is now what to do with the bodywork. It could potentially be worth a great deal of money, Cobra restorers are as bad a Corvette restorers. Originality is a really big deal. Prior to obtaining the rear clip there were doors and front fenders for the car but they were purchased by an unknown party. I find it intriguing that these bits and pieces are still out there. You just never know. I thought I would share the photos to see what you think.

The 00 car is a custom Corvette that MacDonald built along with Max Balchowsky the originator of "Old Yeller" a famous road racer in its own right.

IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG
200px-Dave_macdonald_in_corvette_special.jpg
IMG_1236.JPG
300px-Dave_MacDonald_driving_his_Corvette_Special_at_Riverside_1962.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread