....2days technology is designed and calibrated to tell the computer to do a certain thing. You change something and it can confuse the brains thinking . No secret I'm old school lots of carburators more fuel and air no computer just a screw driver to tune it. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in your car as far as performance, but I can tell you what can happen running filters like K&N. What do they do ? , they let in more air as the engine breaths, but by doing so they also let in more dirt because the filtration is not there........less restriction to air flow is all that filter does, there is no magic. I have seen a few engines taken apart that had K & N filters and the intake manifold was full of oily dirt stuck to the runners. If you drive in clean air conditions meaning no dusty roads etc, then maybe less chance of sucking dirt, but I would not use them on a car that I think the General designed pretty good already as far as fuel mileage for the horsepower it has. ....my 2 cents...

....2days technology is designed and calibrated to tell the computer to do a certain thing. You change something and it can confuse the brains thinking . No secret I'm old school lots of carburators more fuel and air no computer just a screw driver to tune it. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in your car as far as performance, but I can tell you what can happen running filters like K&N. What do they do ? , they let in more air as the engine breaths, but by doing so they also let in more dirt because the filtration is not there........less restriction to air flow is all that filter does, there is no magic. I have seen a few engines taken apart that had K & N filters and the intake manifold was full of oily dirt stuck to the runners. If you drive in clean air conditions meaning no dusty roads etc, then maybe less chance of sucking dirt, but I would not use them on a car that I think the General designed pretty good already as far as fuel mileage for the horsepower it has. ....my 2 cents...
Unfortunately I have to agree with some of this. The CAI tube in my truck had a fine dust in it behind a K&N that I swore by in all my vehicles, 2 wheel and 4. My Trailblazer on the other hand, was fine with a K&N. I switched the truck to an AFE filter. So far it is ok. So for now, my C5 has an AFE CAI. Having said that, I recently read an article that said that the stock air filter element in any vehicle that isn't highly modified for racing, does not ingest enough air to overpower the stock filter element. Meaning, the stock element will pass all the air needed without impeding performance.

Reactions: ddgermann
I have a K&N dual filter system and honestly I have no idea if it makes a difference in power or fuel mileage, but everyone keeps telling me K&N is junk and I should go to Vararam???

I have a K&N dual filter system and honestly I have no idea if it makes a difference in power or fuel mileage, but everyone keeps telling me K&N is junk and I should go to Vararam???
Lot of views on CAI's Dub. If it filters to a decent level for an adequate length of time and is well made, I wouldn't call any of them "junk". I bought a Vram Snake Charmer for my 09 but sold the car before I installed it. Don't believe the hype on the Vararam website but the thought of rammed air does merit some expectation of increased power. My jury is out on the value of CAI but that's only my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.