Objects in the mirror just keep getting smaller
Casual User
Jan 15, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2002 C5 Z06
Province
AB
My C5 was purchased with an aftermarket Pioneer stereo/cd player...but looks horrible. Any suggestions for a good looking yet affordable radio/cd setup that will work well with the Bose speakers?

Check out Crutchfield, you can search by car, they have install guides, and also accessories like dash adaptors

Upgrade Guide

Do you just need a basic head unit or do you want additional functionality like Bluetooth, CD DVD, Apply Cary Play, Android Auto?There are a number of double din head units that are relatively clean looking but you'll need to modify the center stack.

My guess is since you already have the Pioneer head unit, the wiring modification has already been done to support the Bose, which probably includes some sort of module to convert the speaker output to line level since the Bose has separate amps. If it was done well you should just be able to disconnect the Pioneer harness from whatever is in there and and wire in the harness for the new head unit.

If I were doing a head unit, I'd seriously consider an Android unit as they are a lot more functional with high res screen and graphics, customizable, and affordable than the car audio brands, but they could be a bit more flaky so might not be ready for prime time for everyone.

Check out Crutchfield, you can search by car, they have install guides, and also accessories like dash adaptors

Upgrade Guide

Do you just need a basic head unit or do you want additional functionality like Bluetooth, CD DVD, Apply Cary Play, Android Auto?There are a number of double din head units that are relatively clean looking but you'll need to modify the center stack.

My guess is since you already have the Pioneer head unit, the wiring modification has already been done to support the Bose, which probably includes some sort of module to convert the speaker output to line level since the Bose has separate amps. If it was done well you should just be able to disconnect the Pioneer harness from whatever is in there and and wire in the harness for the new head unit.

If I were doing a head unit, I'd seriously consider an Android unit as they are a lot more functional with high res screen and graphics, customizable, and affordable than the car audio brands, but they could be a bit more flaky so might not be ready for prime time for everyone.
Much appreciated Creedence85.

That is a terific help. The Pioneer system I have is DEH-X6810BT . The amp and sub is well wired in the trunk and I didn't have a chance to remove the carpeting to access what brand and model it is. Either way, I will be upgrading the Pioneer. I did notice that the radio does not pick up any signal from even the strong frequencies in my area. I suspect that either the antenna cable must have dislodged from the back of the stereo or perhaps from the rear antenna with is an upgraded 8 inch one.

Do you happen to know how to access the antenna connection? Is it as easy as removing a signal light cover or do I have to start removing the rear carpet? :Confused5:

Cheers...

I'm not very familiar with the C5 setup, and I don't know where the antenna connection is besides behind the head unit. GM cars often use their own antenna connector to the head unit, and need an adaptor to go aftermarket, so the adaptor could have unplugged or may never have been connected, in addition to unplugging from the head unit as you suggested. I'm not sure if the C5s have an amplified antenna so if they do would want to check the amplifier and the fuse.

Reactions: Rescuerob
C5's are like the C6. the antenna is small and when switching to aftermarket radio you have to use an adapter to go form the largeantenna male end to the smaller aftermarket male end. If this wasn't installed or has worked its way out you won't get radio reception.
1611181930816.png

I'm not very familiar with the C5 setup, and I don't know where the antenna connection is besides behind the head unit. GM cars often use their own antenna connector to the head unit, and need an adaptor to go aftermarket, so the adaptor could have unplugged or may never have been connected, in addition to unplugging from the head unit as you suggested. I'm not sure if the C5s have an amplified antenna so if they do would want to check the amplifier and the fuse.
Thank you Creedence85. I will check and see if its an amplified antenna and check out the fuse. Fingers crossed.

C5's are like the C6. the antenna is small and when switching to aftermarket radio you have to use an adapter to go form the largeantenna male end to the smaller aftermarket male end. If this wasn't installed or has worked its way out you won't get radio reception.
View attachment 76669
Hmmm... I will have to check out the antenna end and see whats happening there. Unfortunately I have no idea if the radio worked before I purchased the Z. I put in a CD and it played back, but then it isn't the am/fm reception. Hopefully it really is just a loose connection...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.