Bill_gantree

I'm New Here
2 You're 10
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
None
Hey Everyone, I am new here and was looking for some expert opinions. I do not currently own a vette but I've been infatuated with them since I was a boy. I really want to do a custom restore on one and I was leaning heavily toward a 1976 corvette 2 door coupe. I love this year as the back window is not sloped and it has that aggressive C3 look. Are there any concerns I should be aware of? I plan on building a 383 stroker for the car and maybe some other performance upgrades, obviously I am not restoring it to it's original spec. The plan is to make it more of a street rod. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Bill

Welcome Bill! There are quite a few people on here with C3 Vettes so hopefully they will speak up as they know that generation much better than I. A 383 Stroker sounds fun. Are you looking for a 4-speed car, or automatic? Is the restoration going to be body off or on frame? Let us know how you make out with the project from looking at cars to starting the restoration. It sounds like it will be fun!!!

Sounds like a sweet plan. I think a naturally aspirated 383 stroker should haul that car around very nicely.
A word of caution on selecting the '76 to start with. The better the car to start, the quicker and cheaper the restoring process. It's certainly alot cheaper to find a nice one, part with more cash up front than to buy a less expensive car needing more repairs (been there and done that more times than I care to mention).
Also, I have heard that the frames on this year can be an issue with rusting through.
Enjoy the challenges of your project. Keep us posted!

You guys rock!!! I am very excited about this! I love the fact that this is a Canuck forum. I think it will probably take me a while to find the perfect base car to start my resto. I plan on doing a full body off restoration and I am leaning heavily towards a 4 speed transmission. I'm not a big fan of automatics in street rods. I like to be in control of the 383 LOL not the other way around. How can I make sure the frame on my investment isn't rotten?

Thanks Guys!!!!

i researched the c3's when i was first shopping. my understanding was that the places to check were the frame where it elbows in front of the rear tires. also the rad support which u can sometimes tell by waviness betweent he pop up lights. also the window pillars which you can sometimes detect if the t-tops dont sit flush.

I would also start with as good a car as possible right from the start. We're here if you have any questions!

:agree:
All the little things (moldings, interior parts, etc) add up very fast so watch our for that as well. You may want to start looking at cars selling around the $20 000 range to get your bearings on the quality of car you are getting. Get yourself a Mid America catalog and start looking at the cost of parts, from there you should be able to get a general idea of what it will cost and what the shape of the car should be in when you purchase it.

You are doing what I want to do some day.

Hey Fire22, havent heard from you for awhile, hope all has been good!

As far as the Frame off goes I hope you get to do it the way you have always dreamed of, there is nothing better than making a dream a reality!

My advice would be not to do it untill you can do it right.

Brent

Hey Fire22, havent heard from you for awhile, hope all has been good!

As far as the Frame off goes I hope you get to do it the way you have always dreamed of, there is nothing better than making a dream a reality!

My advice would be not to do it untill you can do it right.

Brent

Its all good, just have been busy with house renovations. I have to finish off the renovations before summer roles around so that I can buy my next toy (I believe its called compromise when your married)

You hit the nail on the head about waiting until it can be done right.

Welcome Bill! Just to throw in my 2 cents. I would also watch for rust behind the kick panels. This is a another problem area in many C3's. I agree with starting with a "good" car. It will be much more worth it in the end. I have been told before, when you are planning a renovation or restoration take what you think it will cost and how long you think it will take then double them both! It is true more times than not. Hope you find what you are looking for! Good Luck

T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.