Aug 7, 2015
Belgrave , Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1973 Corvette Coupe
I am thinking about adding side exhaust to my 73 vette and I am just wondering what exactly is involved . I am also wondering what do you do at the back end where the original exhaust comes out .

Lastly anyone know where is the best place to get side exhaust ? I am located an hour from London Ontario .
1-IMG_9656.JPG

Back in '73 ,I helped a buddy covert lakes pipes to rear exhaust...too noisey for his 69 roaster. We had to buy rocker panels after the pipes came off. It wasn't a big job.

Recommend..forget side pipes and put on headers...my '78 has had same pair for over 20 years.

Thanks Roger , I never thought about headers but that sounds like a great idea and a lot less work . It would probably give it a better sound too .

Back in '69, a friend put '69 Corvette side pipes on his COPO Chevelle. Before the summer was out, he had pulled that exhaust and went back to the '69 Chevelle chambered exhaust that was available. On the highway it was just too annoying. Exiting at the back gets you away from a lot of the noise. Personally, I have never been a fan of loud exhaust.

Gotta go with the majority on this one. A nice set of good quality, ceramic coated, long tube headers will really make a huge difference to not only the sound - but the performance of that beauty. If you really are set on side pipes, I'd suggest finding someone at a cruise night and bumming a ride to get a real feel for the sound. As the guys have mentioned, this is a perfect example of "being careful what you wish for". Good luck in your decision, and be sure to post pics of whatever way you decide to go.

To make our '69 L78 Chevelle emissions legal, I went back to manifolds with the smog pump. I didn't feel any seat of the pants performance difference. On the drag strip, you might see the numbers change a little. Headers on these newer LS engines, apparently 35-40 hp improvement is not uncommon. You will feel a little bit more power with that. Seat of the pants is a terrible dyno. Even a loud exhaust has people thinking that their car has more power. A friend who has raced for years, says that no matter how much tuning he has done on the chassis dyno, there is always a little more et to be gained when fine tuning at the track. Just my personal experiences over the years.

I had to modify my A/C compressor bracket...and when I inquired about replacing my headers ...they asked me to bring the old ones in so they could match with the new.

So far the old are holding out.

PS been to Cranbrook when I worked with Ducks Unlimited

Another vote for side exhaust just to add to the mix! :D
My dad had a 365hp 327, 65 Vert with side exhaust when I was growing up. Loved the look, loved the sound. However, either way you go, I think it's a win-win!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.