Darryl L

Casual User
Oct 14, 2017
VetteCoins
Hi all! I have a 1990 vette. Has anyone tried to just paint the acrylic roof? I have a scratched one and dont want sunlight baking me all summer! A new painted one cost $1200 I can' afford. Anyone with any suggestions? I' keeping an eye on the carbon fiber thread that' been posted...interesting

Hi Darryl. You may want to grab some 3M 1080 vinyl wrap. it's a temporary fix and they say it lasts a few years. grab a yard from eBay. You can get any color, even carbon fibre lol. about 75 bucks or so american I think it will set you back. An alternative you may want to consider. I'm going wet layup myself with tooling for making more tops.

Another idea would be to spray on a coat of plasti-dip for 25 buck a roos. Peels off and it wont harm surface if your top is in good condition. Thus preventing Hari-Kiri.

That's a great idea too. And plasti-dip comes in a smoke as well so you could lay several coats on and still keep some degree of transparency if you liked. If it's opague enough, just add another coat or two. Plasti-dip is good that way as the more coats you put on, the easier it is to peel off.

Reactions: Darrellg1
That's a great idea too. And plasti-dip comes in a smoke as well so you could lay several coats on and still keep some degree of transparency if you liked. If it's opague enough, just add another coat or two. Plasti-dip is good that way as the more coats you put on, the easier it is to peel off.
Thanks Eric, it's cool stuff I think.

I realize that my reply may not be the exact answer you are looking for, but here goes.
1. You may not need to replace the entire roof; a few years ago I needed a replacement for the transparent roof on my 1995, and after searching for some time found an alternative to total replacement. There is a company in Bristol, PA (I know - very far away) that replaces the bad plastic (I think the official term is "lens") with an GM approved part on your own frame; good news here is it comes back ready to bolt on with no adjustment and the cost is approx $600 USD (that price was about 3 yrs ago for me). I would recommend this company to anyone who would like to keep the car as original as possible. Company is East Coast T-Top & Sunroof, 3950 New Falls Rd, Bistol, PA 19007. eastcoast-top.com.
2. If you replace that roof you will still have to deal with the heat on a hot day. I installed a product from Corvettecentral.com which is a dotmatrix shade that allows a limited amount of sunlight (heat?) to come through.
Enjoy

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.