BANNED
May 3, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2007 LeMans blue Z06
Province
AB
If anyone has any interest in combining the Mission Old Time Drags the weekend before and the airshow,here’s all you need to know.

The “performers” section will be updated as they add flying acts. Next years show has the US Navy Blue Angels as well as the A-10 warthog doing a demo and not just on static display as previous years. The “Super Hornet” is pretty impressive too. As well as the CAF Snowbirds with an all new show.

Always been a great Saturday over the years. It’s very well organized. Traffic is easy in and easy out,every year. Various ticket options from general admission to the presidents club where you get fed both breakfast and a decent lunch. Myself,I’ve done the “flight club” the last 3 times I’ve gone. It’s pretty good,seats and tables on the showline. This year.they're planning some improvements.

Abbotsford Air Show – Abbotsford Air Show

Way early to be putting this out maybe but,it’s a boring Sunday.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Wow two events for me to go. Mission is 3 minutes from my house. I can hear the cars from my house at the speedway. The Abbotsford airport is also minutes away. Close enough that acts fly around my neighborhood if they get traffic delays. As the airport does not close during the show with commercial traffic. As stated they do an excellent job on traffic here during the airshow weekend. The higher end tickets that are tented and catered, free beer! You get a special route in and out of the airport. If you leave by the last act. There is zero traffic back tracking the route. You also get special parking and lots of room between cars, etc. My dad buys the tickets and I forget what he pays for those.

Great looking airplane, pretty agile for a big prop plane.

Still have the air show in Toronto at the Canadian National Exhibition on Labour day weekend.
Yeah Murray. They strap the JATO tubes on it and it bloody near climbs vertical. (JATO is jet assisted take off). I’ve only seen the BA planes on YouTube and regular TV.

Going to be a good show this coming August. They continue to add performers up until about a month before the show. So far,this 2018 show is looking good. It has been a lean 5 years in regards to airshow budgets but looks like more well known acts are making the trip north. It would be nice to see the thunderbirds again but their schedule doesn’t show them coming to Canada. I’ll be making a pretty good “BC Tourism” vid on this trip,goes without saying.

On another forum got into the jet tubes with Americans. The Navy F18's. They can fold the wings very easy and even get a plane onto Fat Albert if they need too. It does aid in take off when loaded to the max capacity. The Americans said its just for the Blue Angels shows and not a real deal. Well here our largest employer is Cascade Aerospace. They rebuild several aircraft there. C130 is one of the ones they rebuild. Our local university/college has an Aerospace program and are rebuilding a 727 there as well. They too could use rockets for more thrust............. I've gone to Oshkosh but believe Abbotsford is the best plane venue in North America, bar non. Also did the Reno Air Races from 1980 until 1992 and my parents sold our cabin in Lake Tahoe. Even with the latter scenery wise. Flying here is way nicer too. If I was 25 and not 45. I would have been an aircraft mechanic/pilot.

F020C08D-DFD2-4DF4-80FF-A9A9F8FB04BD.jpeg
Purchased 2 “Presidents club” seats this morning. Catered breakfast and lunch,VIP parking and washrooms. Full bar/hosted tables service begins at 10 am,air conditioned area and patio tables with umbrellas. Chalet row also has its own entry off Walmsley road on the east side of the airport property. Vette friendly entrance.

View attachment 15105 Purchased 2 “Presidents club” seats this morning. Catered breakfast and lunch,VIP parking and washrooms. Full bar/hosted tables service begins at 10 am,air conditioned area and patio tables with umbrellas. Chalet row also has its own entry off Walmsley road on the east side of the airport property. Vette friendly entrance.
That is awesome !!! You will have a wonderful time with your Father.

Make those memories while you can.....I miss my Dad so much....you are blessed Mike.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Thanks J. I like the way you and him interact. Kinda cool to sit back and watch.
Well....What's not to like in him ? He is adorable....a more refined version of you. :Biggrin: I like making him smile....that was cool to see his face light up when I gave him all those coins he was hunting for. I find joy in making others happy.

I have 10 siblings but every Father's day it was my dad and I off to the airshow. We both had the passion for airplanes. After my son was born, the three of us would go. Special times for sure!

Bill

Attachments

• Fathers day shots 001.JPG
    Fathers day shots 001.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Fathers day shots 002.JPG
    Fathers day shots 002.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Fathers day shots 011.JPG
    Fathers day shots 011.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Fathers day shots 005.JPG
    Fathers day shots 005.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 12
  • fathers day shots 002.jpg
    fathers day shots 002.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 11
  • fathers day shots 004.jpg
    fathers day shots 004.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
  • fathers day shots 006.jpg
    fathers day shots 006.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12
210C3DA8-F152-461F-A95B-6A8F9BF08CED.jpeg
82AD61C6-B6F3-4C30-9F96-823797D96889.jpeg
56709904-1779-4C47-ADE4-8B750B0350AB.jpeg
Absolutely love the old warbirds. There’s nothing like the sound of a 12 cylinder Merlin firing up in the morning. Goosebumps follow. Excellent pics Bill. Airshows are some of the best times I’ve spent with Dad and the 2 were going to get in this summer within 3 weeks will be very special.

Look at the smile on his face here,,,,he’s first in line for the breakfast back in 2012.

I have 10 siblings but every Father's day it was my dad and I off to the airshow. We both had the passion for airplanes. After my son was born, the three of us would go. Special times for sure!

Bill
Great set of photos....adorable !!!

View attachment 15124 View attachment 15125 View attachment 15126 Absolutely love the old warbirds. There’s nothing like the sound of a 12 cylinder Merlin firing up in the morning. Goosebumps follow. Excellent pics Bill. Airshows are some of the best times I’ve spent with Dad and the 2 were going to get in this summer within 3 weeks will be very special.

Look at the smile on his face here,,,,he’s first in line for the breakfast back in 2012.
He looks like he is in his element :)

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Mason will love airplanes the rest of his life Bill. I got the bug when dad was stationed in Lahr Germany. We used to go to the airport and watch the F-104 Starfighters take off quite often and to this day,I remember the noise.

I had fleeting dreams of being a pilot for a little while... lol. My goal was to be a bush pilot flying Bell 212s in Northern BC. And then it was wanting to fly a Learjet 35-A. Then it was back to Helicopters. A “Rotorhead”.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.