C5 Ontario You're a Regular You're Celebrated
Sep 6, 2020
Seeley's Bay, ON
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5 Coupe
Province
ON
TL;DR - I buy a 97 C5, find out it has lots of issues, but still love the car anyway

In Sep of 2020 I purchased a 97 C5 coupe with 114,454km. I paid a bit more than what it was probably worth, but the seller was firm on the price and as it did have new brakes, new Michelin run flats and a Borla exhaust it seemed fair. He also told me about the few issues he was aware of (hard shift from 1-2, passenger window seal leak, squeaky drive belt), but as it turned out there were several issues he did NOT tell me about as well as several more that he probably wasn't aware of.

Although I've owned many cars, trucks and SUV's over the years, my main focus has always been motorcycles and had made a living working on them as a Service Tech for many years. My four wheeled vehicles were always sent to local garages to have repairs and regular maintenance done, although I did on occasion do the work myself. So, while I wasn't a crack car mechanic I considered myself knowledgeable enough to know what to look for when I went to take my first look at the C5.

My first impressions were favourable and the car seemed to work well despite the bang shifting, noisy belt, crappy looking targa top and a few noticeable scratches on the bodywork. As it was a 24yr old car I knew there would likely be some more issues to sort out, but figured they could be quickly and easily handled. However, the longer I had the car the more issues I found and I began to question my wisdom of purchasing it. To date, these are the problems I've encountered and have fixed myself or at my trusted local garage;

1) Replace drive belt
2) Replace alternator
3) Vinyl wrap damaged targa roof panel
4) Service transmission (tech discovered 1-2 has been programmed for hard shift)
5) Replace LR and LF TPMS sensors
6) Replace faulty RFA module
7) Remove illegal side window tint
8) Bypass Twilight Sentinel system
9) Clean windshield drain udders
10) Correctly install wiper motor rubber shield to prevent shorting out in the rain
11) Replace warped wiper console tray
12) Replace shattered dash centre console
13) Diagnose bty drain issue (dvr power seat motor failure, fuse pulled as a temp repair)
14) Replace broken temp sensor grille on dash
15) Replace broken dvr door trim plug
16) Install backup camera
17) Paint wiper arms

The following issues are in the process of being corrected as time and money permit;

1) Replace air filter, spark plugs, plug wires
2) Repair loose passenger side window
3) Replace all door and top weatherstripping
4) Adjust hood and trunk closure stops
5) Repair crack in passenger door edge
6) Buff scratches, touch up rock chips in paint
7) Repair loose door pull, dvr's side
8) Replace dvr power seat motor
9) Repair separated leather cover on parking brake
10) Coolant flush

So, yeah, there are a few more issues than I'd suspected. But goddamit, every time I sit in her and fire it up I can't help but smile. I love this car and see no reason at all to get rid of it. Ever.

TL;DR - I buy a 97 C5, find out it has lots of issues, but still love the car anyway

In Sep of 2020 I purchased a 97 C5 coupe with 114,454km. I paid a bit more than what it was probably worth, but the seller was firm on the price and as it did have new brakes, new Michelin run flats and a Borla exhaust it seemed fair. He also told me about the few issues he was aware of (hard shift from 1-2, passenger window seal leak, squeaky drive belt), but as it turned out there were several issues he did NOT tell me about as well as several more that he probably wasn't aware of.

Although I've owned many cars, trucks and SUV's over the years, my main focus has always been motorcycles and had made a living working on them as a Service Tech for many years. My four wheeled vehicles were always sent to local garages to have repairs and regular maintenance done, although I did on occasion do the work myself. So, while I wasn't a crack car mechanic I considered myself knowledgeable enough to know what to look for when I went to take my first look at the C5.

My first impressions were favourable and the car seemed to work well despite the bang shifting, noisy belt, crappy looking targa top and a few noticeable scratches on the bodywork. As it was a 24yr old car I knew there would likely be some more issues to sort out, but figured they could be quickly and easily handled. However, the longer I had the car the more issues I found and I began to question my wisdom of purchasing it. To date, these are the problems I've encountered and have fixed myself or at my trusted local garage;

1) Replace drive belt
2) Replace alternator
3) Vinyl wrap damaged targa roof panel
4) Service transmission (tech discovered 1-2 has been programmed for hard shift)
5) Replace LR and LF TPMS sensors
6) Replace faulty RFA module
7) Remove illegal side window tint
8) Bypass Twilight Sentinel system
9) Clean windshield drain udders
10) Correctly install wiper motor rubber shield to prevent shorting out in the rain
11) Replace warped wiper console tray
12) Replace shattered dash centre console
13) Diagnose bty drain issue (dvr power seat motor failure, fuse pulled as a temp repair)
14) Replace broken temp sensor grille on dash
15) Replace broken dvr door trim plug
16) Install backup camera
17) Paint wiper arms

The following issues are in the process of being corrected as time and money permit;

1) Replace air filter, spark plugs, plug wires
2) Repair loose passenger side window
3) Replace all door and top weatherstripping
4) Adjust hood and trunk closure stops
5) Repair crack in passenger door edge
6) Buff scratches, touch up rock chips in paint
7) Repair loose door pull, dvr's side
8) Replace dvr power seat motor
9) Repair separated leather cover on parking brake
10) Coolant flush

So, yeah, there are a few more issues than I'd suspected. But goddamit, every time I sit in her and fire it up I can't help but smile. I love this car and see no reason at all to get rid of it. Ever.
To be honest, I have the same feelings for my 1974 VW Super Beetle which I owned as my first car brand new and still have it to this day. I have a few offers but I can’t seem to say yes and take it away. Like you, I love the BUG and we’ll be cruising again one of these days. Cheers 🍻 😳😷

Ok, if we're gonna start talking Bugs then, I had a '71 1100 when I was stationed in Germany. Loved it. No heater, no radio and a windshield wiper/washer system run by air pressure off the spare tire, but it was a hoot to drive. Had to leave it there because its build date was just two weeks short of the 10yr timeframe to legally export it to Canada.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I had a 58, a 62 and a 72. Loved every one of them. Put dual webers and headers on the 72 and raced it at Oyster Bed Speedway in PEI. Turned some heads when a bug runs high 16's... lol...
Yes seems like they’ll tun forever. Easy maintenance. Loved my bug.
I had a 58, a 62 and a 72. Loved every one of them. Put dual webers and headers on the 72 and raced it at Oyster Bed Speedway in PEI. Turned some heads when a bug runs high 16's... lol...
Aha! My ‘74 (sun bug) Gold , Curved Windshield, Cranked Sun Roof loaded because of the Bra-Round Fog Lights-Formula V Strips on the sides-Chrome on Rear engine vents. I wasn’t charged for the Block heater. Come to think of it, it didn’t come with a radio. Those we’re the good old days. Still have it to this day.
looking good !!!😳👍🥂😷 cheers

Reactions: 12cents and RockyPM
Bugs and defrost? Don't exist. Ours would push warmish air to the footwells, just enough to melt the snow off yer boots. That melt then froze when you parked and you had to "break ice" from around the clutch and brake levers before you could go again. The gen light would come on, the fix was nail it in 2nd gear till you thought the valves would float then ram it into 3rd... light went out every time. The tires would flat spot. The flats stayed in sync, cathump cathump, then would go out when you turned pocketa pocekta pocketa pocketa. Just keep going, the flatspots usually smoothed out by the time you reached your destination. Unforgettable!

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Bugs and defrost? Don't exist. Ours would push warmish air to the footwells, just enough to melt the snow off yer boots. That melt then froze when you parked and you had to "break ice" from around the clutch and brake levers before you could go again. The gen light would come on, the fix was nail it in 2nd gear till you thought the valves would float then ram it into 3rd... light went out every time. The tires would flat spot. The flats stayed in sync, cathump cathump, then would go out when you turned pocketa pocekta pocketa pocketa. Just keep going, the flatspots usually smoothed out by the time you reached your destination. Unforgettable!
Yes that’s the beauty and the challenge plus the fun of it. Take a deep breath once you reach your destination because you just had another trip of excitement. Mission accomplished. 🥂😷 cheers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.