Nov 3, 2012
buckhorn ontario
VetteCoins
Car
stopped in to see a local guy today who has quite a well deserved reputation as a top notch engine builder [ most forum guys around here know dean ireland ]. i wanted to talk to him about building a stroker 383, he said, well doug, have you considered a 406 ? long story short - he has a 1970 four bolt 400 block and brand new rotating assembly for it with forged crank and rods. hmmm.....will have to put some thought into this one !!!

God I thought for a second you meant an old Ford Y-block from the early 60's .:rofl:

My Dad had a 400 in his 70 Impala which is based on the smallblock -- Aren't the cylinder walls quick thin on those? Seemed to be the absolute limit on displacement for the smallblock.
Would it stand up to some racing?

C.

God I thought for a second you meant an old Ford Y-block from the early 60's .:rofl:

My Dad had a 400 in his 70 Impala which is based on the smallblock -- Aren't the cylinder walls quick thin on those? Seemed to be the absolute limit on displacement for the smallblock.

C.

My father had the same motor in his '74 Caprice Classic. Got 14 mpg on a trip to Florida. :rofl:

You have to have steam holes in the heads with those blocks.

C.

they are thinner and have siamese bore [ no water between the centre cylinders each bank ] .030 is about max safe overbore which gives you 406. the 406 ford was actually part of the fe engine series. the 406 chevy is fine for street and mild racing, getting into heavier racing and higher rpm i would use a dart 400 block.

You might just be conservative with those numbers. We put together an 8-1 smogger 454 with a very mild cam, headers, intake and 750 Holley and it was putting down around 310-320 to the wheels. I think a 406 with those heads would be a great street engine and would put more than a few to shame at the strip.

Personally (and this is just my opinion), I would go for a nice 355. Less power loss to friction and the bore to stroke ratio is much stronger. But a good builder will know what he's doing with that 400 block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread