XFIRE82

Power User
Oct 24, 2014
VetteCoins
Province
SK
.....question for you experts. I just bought a 82 with the Gymkanna suspension. Yes it has the forged aluminum strut rods. One wheel was tilted alot and the other abit, and seeing the marks on the cam washer it just looks like they plain moved on their own I'm guessing. I have read about this problem that the cam bolts move thus the camber changes not to mention how funny it looks with a tilted wheel. Anyways I see a jobber adjustable strut rod that eliminates this cam style setup and should prevent any camber changes happening. Have any of you done this swap ? I would think it is better than the stock rod. Only thing I lose the look of the aluminum Gymkanna strut which I kinda like under there. Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• IM009060.JPG
    IM009060.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 20
the adjustable struts won't show any improvment in daily driving, they are however much easier to set the camber with. i'll be using them on my shark when i start rebuilding the rear suspension. welcome to the forum, looks like you have some beatiful rides there.

Go for the heim jointed rods. STAY AWAY from the poly crap - especially in this particular application. You'll need a pipe cap (pick up at Home Depot/Rona) to knock out the lower shock/strut mount. These are specific to each side of the car, so do one side at a time so you don't mix them up.

I read up on the heim joints and dealer says not recommended for street use as they are very rough ride. This thing is rough as it is so not sure I want it rougher. I would think that the bushing absorbs some shock so might be more suitable with a adjustable rod and no cam bolt ?? I'm taking the car out for a ride to Saskatoon today to look at a set a guy has 4sale so will see what they look like .

Your rough ride is coming from the fact you have a steel spring instead of fibreglass, due to the Gymkhana setup. Adjusting a C3 ride to be firm but not abrupt involves many components. Changing to a fibreglass spring will help immensely; along with that to counteract the new spring rate, you will need good shocks like a Bilstein HD. The strut rods move in a three dimensional plane - hence why they were originally made of rubber. Heim joints allow for this range of motion without any give, but more importantly, without any binding. Unless you plan on tracking this car you're gonna find the original suspension, even if all new, to be a very harsh ride. Adding poly bushings to this equation, anywhere on the car, will just add to the rough ride. Obviously, your car, your choice.....but my camber adjustment hasn't changed in five seasons, and with a 330lb mono spring, Bilstein HD's and all new rubber bushings, my ride is firm and compliant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.