Nov 3, 2012
buckhorn ontario
VetteCoins
Car
i'm leaning toward a 383 for the shark when the time comes. i'm thinking about buying an assembled short block from g.m., summit, jeg's, etc and building from there. anybody go this route with a c3 ? the original l48 will be kept intact to receive a reasonably stock refresh later on.

An acquaintance has a 383 in his Chevy II. There is nothing big dollar. Double hump heads, intake, Holley carb,lumpy cam and headers. He ran a Vega torque converter, turbo 350 and performance gears. The car regularly ran mid 12s. He eventually found out that the converter, transmission and mini spool rearend weren't up to the task. It is a pretty good performer without breaking the bank. With the crate engines from GM you do get a warranty and that isn't all bad.

Best place I've found to purchase engines. I would go this route at least as a start when looking for a new engine, otherwise, for any rebuilds, I would only really be comfortable going and seeing Manny.

Engines here! Maybe an LS3 is in my future? http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Performance-Engines-C556.aspx

However, I haven't been on their site for a couple years.....the selection and prices don't seem quite as good as they used to be....Better just go over to Neslon Racing Engines. :D http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/

An acquaintance has a 383 in his Chevy II. There is nothing big dollar. Double hump heads, intake, Holley carb,lumpy cam and headers. He ran a Vega torque converter, turbo 350 and performance gears. The car regularly ran mid 12s. He eventually found out that the converter, transmission and mini spool rearend weren't up to the task. It is a pretty good performer without breaking the bank. With the crate engines from GM you do get a warranty and that isn't all bad.

keith, do you know if it was a purchased pre-assembled short block ? or was it a scratch built machined block ?

Bill does his own stuff other than the machining. He gets pretty good results out of low dollar builds.

thanks keith. another option i may take is to buy a machined and clearanced block from summit, at $700., it's quite reasonable. that along with a rotating assembly, oil pump, pan, etc. and have dean ireland build me a balanced short block. dean has a well deserved reputation as a top engine builder.

last year dean built a killer street/strip engine for a guy i know. a 351w based stroker [ 393 cid ] for his 70 mach 1. best engine builder in this part of the country - he used to build marine stern drive engines for us too.

last year dean built a killer street/strip engine for a guy i know. a 351w based stroker [ 393 cid ] for his 70 mach 1. best engine builder in this part of the country - he used to build marine stern drive engines for us too.

Doug :agree: Dean built me a killer 383 stroker for my old 70 chevelle.That was a few years ago let me tell you that 383 stroker was wicked fast and very strong still today that stroker in the old chevelle makes rude marks on your underwear.:coolgleam:

Kent

yeah kent i think a stroker with a pair of afr 180's and a roller cam would perk the shark right up. dean is only building on his trips home now as he is working the oil patch pulling in good dough. this week his truck was at his shop by his mom's place in selwyn, i may try and catch him before he heads back west. dean was actually one of the previous owners of my car having owned it from 89-91. doug.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread