This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

3,000 km - apparently I need a new engine.

This sounds like a similar problem I had with my LS7. Bad rocker arm, needle bearings all over the place and in the system, mushroomed the top of the intake valve, and scoring on the inside wall of the cylinder. These things happen, and my experience with GM was positive in the end. Luckily, it sounds like your dealer is taking care of you and you aren't having to fight them through the process.

Reactions: Murray20c8
100% agree

Well they finally started working in my car again yesterday after it sat there for almost 3 weeks. . They took the engine out on Thursday, examined it today and very quickly found the problem: The bearings on the crankshaft for cylinders 7 and 8 are completely gone. They were sending the report and paperwork to GM today. I don't want it to be fixed - if that is even possible. I want a new engine. I missed two calls from the service department this afternoon but they left a message saying that they had already heard back from GM however the message did not specify GM's answer. So I should know how they are going to proceed tomorrow or Monday I guess.

Obviously a very unusual / rare occurrence but it happens. That it happened right in the middle of "Corvette season" is a major drag ...

Reactions: Bunny Hop
Sorry to hear about your engine. Did they offer any reason for the failure? Lack of lubrication, wrong clearance in assembly, overheating? You mentioned this was “unusual/rare”, but has anyone else experienced this? If the bearings are completely gone metal has gone through entire engine. I would want a new replacement as well. Best wishes.

There is little recourse. If the block was scored it would need to be machined and oversized bearing used (if there is such a thing these days) or a new block. For both 7 and 8 to go means something more than just bad bearings. Likely an oiling issue for sure. Can it be repaired? I imagine, but what other damage did it cause. Are they good enough to figure that out? Too many questions. I'd certainly want a new engine also. Lets hope that is what they decide to do.

Must be a hell of a load "ticking" noise to hear over the exhaust? I must listen for it: turn radio off. I replaced OEM exhaust with Paragon Performance , so, may not hear it. Good luck!!!

No they didn't give any opinion on the reason for it at all. I have not spoken to them yet - just the email and phone message they left. I will list here again if any other info becomes available.

Reactions: Murray20c8
You can post videos. Woops late to the party.

Last edited:
I hear you. No excuse for that . Hopefully GM refuses to pay them for it given that they should have known. Perhaps they are still on dial up internet or have no idea that search engines exist. Jesus H .
Most dealers, know less than this forum, about our C8s.

Reactions: 1st Vette
Reactions: 1st Vette
The engine was finally replaced last week and I drove it for the 1st time yesterday. I was relieved to see that there are no scratches on the car at all - it looks just like when I brought it in - I.e.- like new ( because it is)..,. I drove it yesterday and again today and it was perfect. They did not give a conclusive reason for the engine failure. I have been in touch with GM customer service about compensation for loss of use of the car and am waiting on a decision for that. So the nearly two month saga is over and it feels good to be able to drive it again I must say.

Great news!!! Congrats.

Reactions: pnevillebc