No I don't think so either - having said that it would be nice if someone could upload the ticking sound from their engine to compare.... Certainly it fooled the dealer who literally took apart the back of my car, removed the engine, fixing it and then after who knows how many thousands $$$ to do that found that then realized after putting it all back together that the valve springs were actually OK...:(

On the mechanical side someone suggested it might be a wrist pin noise. I have no idea what that would sound like. If it was an injector gone rogue that would be preferable I would think instead of having to tear down and / or replace the engine. Anyway, I guess we will find out when they take it apart (again) next week. These things can happen I know - although in all the years of owning motorcycles, cars, boats atvs etc... I have never had a mechanical engine problem to the extent that you would need to take it apart - not the least of on a brand new car worth $100K +.

On the mechanical side someone suggested it might be a wrist pin noise. I have no idea what that would sound like. If it was an injector gone rogue that would be preferable I would think instead of having to tear down and / or replace the engine. Anyway, I guess we will find out when they take it apart (again) next week. These things can happen I know - although in all the years of owning motorcycles, cars, boats atvs etc... I have never had a mechanical engine problem to the extent that you would need to take it apart - not the least of on a brand new car worth $100K +.
Ya, it's one in 100,000. I've heard sounds like that on mechanical lifters, but never on hydraulic lifters unless they are clogged. That should never be the case with a new car, but it could be a faulty lifter I suppose. However if a lifter is faulty you'd think you'd get piston slap. The LT2 is a zero interference motor.

Sorry my ignorance, lifter stick same as valve spring issue?
No, but they could be related. If a lifter was clogged or "stuck" the valve spring would not operate properly. Hydraulic lifters need to be full of oil to work properly. If it can't get full it could cause noise as the rocker arm would knock on the valve stem and push rod.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
No, but they could be related. If a lifter was clogged or "stuck" the valve spring would not operate properly. Hydraulic lifters need to be full of oil to work properly. If it can't get full it could cause noise as the rocker arm would knock on the valve stem and push rod.
Got it. Well they did replace the did replace the valve springs so maybe it's the lifter... I kind of doubt that though as they just had the top end off and they remarked how clean/normal everything looked. Anyway all I can do now is get them to expedite the service to find out what is wrong and either fix it or replace the engine. I'm suppossed to be driving it on the twisties in central BC right now instead of having it sit in a dealer's parking lot.....

Reactions: Murray20c8
Got it. Well they did replace the did replace the valve springs so maybe it's the lifter... I kind of doubt that though as they just had the top end off and they remarked how clean/normal everything looked. Anyway all I can do now is get them to expedite the service to find out what is wrong and either fix it or replace the engine. I'm suppossed to be driving it on the twisties in central BC right now instead of having it sit in a dealer's parking lot.....
They don't need to remove the heads to replace the valve springs. They would have to remove the heads to replace a lifter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
Can someone let me know if the link is working. When I try to attach the file from my phone it is not working.
It’s fine . And are you sure that’s not a diesel in there ? Jesus you’re right it sounds like it going to go boom . The ticking sound that a lot of people hear , which in most cases does come from the injector system which operates at about 3,000 psi , isn’t what you are hearing. I feel for you and hope that it’s resolved quickly. At least you have warranty.
I just fired up an engine for the first time in about two years the other day and it was ticking loudly. Stuck lifter . After it ran for a few minutes and got some oil up there it let go and was purring like a pussy cat . 1968 350cid . But highly unlikely that is the cause of this clatter.

Reactions: Murray20c8
It’s fine . And are you sure that’s not a diesel in there ? Jesus you’re right it sounds like it going to go boom . The ticking sound that a lot of people hear , which in most cases does come from the injector system which operates at about 3,000 psi , isn’t what you are hearing. I feel for you and hope that it’s resolved quickly. At least you have warranty.

I just fired up an engine for the first time in about two years the other day and it was ticking loudly. Stuck lifter . After it ran for a few minutes and got some oil up there it let go and was purring like a pussy cat . 1968 350cid . But highly unlikely that is the cause of this clatter.
Thanks. Ya who knows. My main concern is getting it fixed RFN. But if they have to replace the engine they said 4 weeks. F\___!

In spite of what fear-mongers on the internet will tell you, there is no "common problem" with valve springs or the AFM lifters on these cars. There was a problem with a batch of faulty valve springs on C7s, but that was totally unrelated to the AFM system. There are literally millions of small block Chevy's with AFM on the roads in Canada and the US, with billions of combined miles, and failures are very, very rare.

Sorry you're having this problem, but I'm curious as to what made the dealer think valve springs when that clearly wasn't the issue. Valve springs aren't going to make noise unless they're broken.

Reactions: KTJF and DenisC8