This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

3,000 km - apparently I need a new engine.

Sep 18, 2023
VetteCoins
Province
BC
I have a 2023 stingray that I picked up last fall and put on the road in April. It has 3,000 km on it now. Driving it two weeks ago I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine bay - I could hear it from inside the car. I researched it a bit and found that it seems to be a fairly common thing that most people put down to fuel injector noise. At the same time however I noticed the check engine light came on. I had Onstar read the code for me as a malfunctioning knock sensor. I brought the car in to the local dealer here in Vancouver and they phoned me back the next day saying the actual problem was that on one side of the engine the valve springs were sticking. Apparently this too is a pretty common problem with these engines and their associated fuel saving 4 cylinder mode.....Anyway, not good news as they said they needed to change those springs and to do that they needed to pull the engine from the car. Not happy about that but no choice so I said go ahead. That was 10 days ago. They contacted me last Wednesday to say the springs had been changed and the car would be ready to go today.

Today they call me to tell me that unfortunately the sound is still there - i.e. there was no problem with the valve springs. They commented that when they did the job the springs and cam etc... all looked perfect - because I guess they were. Anyway they now advise that there is a bigger problem deeper inside the engine and they are going to have to remove the engine again and dismantle it completely. Terrible news. They said that likely they will be putting in a new engine but they must dismantle it to identify the problem, submit the paperwork to GM for the new engine authorization etc... I believe it is a very rare thing - the service writer mentioned that the manager of warranties for GM was going to come and see the car once the engine is apart to see for themselves why this happened. The car was broken in properly, oil checked regularly etc... So quite bad news as we are in prime 'Vette season and I had plans for a nice road trip through the interior of BC next week + loss of use of the car for an estimated 4 weeks! I tried to post a video here of the sound it is making however could not do it. Maybe only allowed to post pictures not videos here? I believe this is a rare problem but that doesn't make it any less of a drag.... OK whine over....

My Escalade V's engine took a little over 2 months to replace. I hope that is not the case with you given the time of year. I'm also hearing ticking noises in my C8 especially when in V4 mode. Our cars were made right next to each other so hopefully not a bad batch of parts or anything. I'm at 3,000kms, too . I'm getting an exhaust put in due to the lack of exhaust noise and only hearing the constant ticking of the motor.

Last edited:
Just upload it to YouTube and post the link here. Easiest way.
Thanks will put on you tube and then post heat.

It is ( the ticking) kind of an interesting characteristic. Yours, mine and many, many others make a ticking noise that is most often said to be the noise from the injectors, but it can also be at least two other serious conditions- faulty valve springs that will eventually damage the engine - or a deeper problem such as I am experiencing. Therefore when you hear that ticking noise you wonder which sound it really is ? I believe whatever problem mine has is rare but hearing a ticking noise can be a bit unnerving until you confirm that it is just the injectors. Having said all that I really don't want to get into all this stuff- I am hoping and expecting that the C8 engine is overall very reliable.

That’s very unfortunate that you are going through this. I hope that it gets resolved quickly and that you’re behind the wheel quickly. Keep us updated with the outcome please.

Ya, ticking can even be an exhaust leak. Hard to diagnose without a stethoscope.

You can post videos on here. Just attach it. Though Youtube is the easiest and it will always be yours to share.

Attachments

Last edited:
It's being done by Dueck Richmond. I can't tell you how good they are or not yet as this whole thing as I'm a ways away from getting the car back but I can certainly post feedback hear when it's fixed.
Hi

Which dealer location is doing the work? I am interested in knowing who has the best Corvette warranty mechanics in the Vancouver area.

Thank you in advance!

The valve spring problem was identified by GM and resolved . It only occurred in LT2 engines produced between June 1 and September 15 2020 , so that wouldn’t be your issue.
https://www.perplexity.ai/search/LT....ai/search/LT-2-engine-amcM3oKiSlGvbxtlp86oCw

Last edited:
Yes well I wish someone had told the dealer that as they took out the engine, replaced the valve springs and out it all back together only to find the sound is still there ...
I hear you. No excuse for that . Hopefully GM refuses to pay them for it given that they should have known. Perhaps they are still on dial up internet or have no idea that search engines exist. Jesus H .

Reactions: Murray20c8
Yes well I wish someone had told the dealer that as they took out the engine, replaced the valve springs and out it all back together only to find the sound is still there ...
Check this out.

Reactions: Bunny Hop