I like the lines it has. That much of it I like. As for a mid engine Corvette in reality. Ahhh,not my thing. This opens the door for a whole new type of "fan" "enthusiast" whatever you want to call em though. So,in that respect. Yeah build it. The only mid engines I like come from Italy.

anticipation .... and pure tease.
we have a whole season of hibernation still to wait out on this one
if they start releasing it mid 2018 as a 2019.
Hope it's not a dabble of specimens in Canada like the Camaro ZL1 release this year.

I'm sitting firmly on the fence. While it's inevitable the cars are to progress and evolve it may eventually take the Corvette to a place where most guys just can't afford to get in one for years until there is enough used ones around. It's possible the dream may be out of reach for many. While the pricing has not been announced it's been strongly said they will be starting around 150K with possibly 4 levels of performance and trim. I'm not convinced of this as this really isolates more than 50% of new Corvette buyers...if not more. The C7 with a good 3LT load at 80K with the Z06 3LZ at 120 is already a mouthful for most of us. The C8 will have to come out with decent options and trim for close to the same price as the C7 Stingray or I see this legendary car dropping off as unattainable for way too many customers. Especially in Canada where the market is smaller and the season is so short in most places.
I'm trying to figure out the logic of keeping the C7 in production for a couple more model years. It suggests this is to give the guys who have been saving for the dream new Corvette a chance to buy one up before they become unattainable due to C8 price? What they are doing is going to greatly reduce the trade in value of the 17s and possible the 18 C7s.
Perhaps GM is playing the market to see how the C8 will be accepted before shutting down the C7. If the mid engine C8 is not selling wildly they can move it into an exotic market like the Ford GT and keep the front engine C7 Corvette for the majority of the loyal diehards. Although there has been no hint of a damn lottery or application process to own a C8 like the Ford GT currently has going on.

Very interesting times ahead for the Corvette and it devoted owners. Lets see if GM hits a homerun with loyal Corvette customers or totally whacks a foul ball.

Reactions: Riley P
anticipation .... and pure tease.
we have a whole season of hibernation still to wait out on this one
if they start releasing it mid 2018 as a 2019.
Hope it's not a dabble of specimens in Canada like the Camaro ZL1 release this year.

There is no doubt whatsoever Spence that the mid-engine Corvette release will be a "dabble of specimens in Canada". The rumoured figure for Z06 Corvettes that were allocated to Canada in their inaugural 2015 release year was 28 units.... 28 out of 8,200 built.... Given the increased popularity of the Corvette and the Z06 model in Canada, I expect the mid engine allocation might be up a little higher.... maybe as many as 30....:Ack2:

Reactions: Riley P
C7= Chevrolet Corvette...possibly C8 design in near future.
Front engine
Base, Z06, ZR1
RWD/AWD
$75 - $150K

MId-engine = Cadillac
RWD/AWD
$150K +

Discuss!

Graham

Graham are you suggesting there will be an AWD C7?
I'm rolling around with pure joy just imagining that. Think of the insane launch and cornering!
I had the RWD ZR1 pegged at about 150K. They are pretty quiet about this car but do you really think they could have kept AWD a secret. I hear (read) rumors of AWD with electric motor boosters possible for the front wheels of the C8, but nothing like that for the ZR1 C7. There was a concern about weight last I read.

Cadillac... mehh... Maybe set a new record for instant depreciation. Would be insane and fun going for groceries but for me never nowhere near as cool as a Corvette.

This one is going to be fun. Good job
Derek

C7= Chevrolet Corvette...possibly C8 design in near future.
Front engine
Base, Z06, ZR1
RWD/AWD
$75 - $150K

MId-engine = Cadillac
RWD/AWD
$150K +

Discuss!

Graham

Interesting Graham...this should bring some discussion to the table for sure.... My three cents worth :

I don't see a C7 AWD on the horizon... That's a major design change and the C7 won't be around long enough to justify. The C7 will celebrate it's fifth birthday next year (2018), and will likely be headed for pasture in 2020 or 2021. They will definitely debut the C7 ZR1 in the upcoming months though and I think the price point will be at $135K Cdn for the 1LZ Base. The optioned out model will touch close to150K Cdn.

Now.... the mid-engine Zora (and I don't think anyone doubts the name)... I think we can finally accept that it is definitely coming very soon.There is no doubt whatsoever it will be AWD. GM has to go that route for a mid engine to compete. Whether it debuts as a C8 in the 2019 year while there is still a C7 production as well... to sort of ease us into the concept... test the market...etc. etc. etc..... we will see...

I'm forecasting that whether 2019 or 2020 is the Zora's debut, the mid engine model will have engine options much like we have now.... A base model smaller engine that will start at... Ok...here we go..... $140K Cdn and then for the big spenders, it will run right up to $180K Cdn for the optioned up ZR1 (or whatever they call it, but I'm guessing ZR1)...

The only unknown in my head at this time (no jokes please...lol), is whether GM will continue with a RWD C8 after 2020 .... I think it will depend greatly on sales popularity of the Zora, and market share continuing for the RWD.... and of course the financial logistics of building them both... After all, mid engine and electric is the wave of our future in automotive.... just how quickly that wave is going to overtake us is the ultimate question.....

I have no comment on the Cadillac ... Other than if you have one, I've heard laser surgery can help you see clearly again... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now. As Graham eloquently penned......

Discuss!

Interesting Graham...this should bring some discussion to the table for sure.... My three cents worth :

I don't see a C7 AWD on the horizon... That's a major design change and the C7 won't be around long enough to justify. The C7 will celebrate it's fifth birthday next year (2018), and will likely be headed for pasture in 2020 or 2021. They will definitely debut the C7 ZR1 in the upcoming months though and I think the price point will be at $135K Cdn for the 1LZ Base. The optioned out model will touch close to150K Cdn.

Now.... the mid-engine Zora (and I don't think anyone doubts the name)... I think we can finally accept that it is definitely coming very soon.There is no doubt whatsoever it will be AWD. GM has to go that route for a mid engine to compete. Whether it debuts as a C8 in the 2019 year while there is still a C7 production as well... to sort of ease us into the concept... test the market...etc. etc. etc..... we will see...

I'm forecasting that whether 2019 or 2020 is the Zora's debut, the mid engine model will have engine options much like we have now.... A base model smaller engine that will start at... Ok...here we go..... $140K Cdn and then for the big spenders, it will run right up to $180K Cdn for the optioned up ZR1 (or whatever they call it, but I'm guessing ZR1)...

The only unknown in my head at this time (no jokes please...lol), is whether GM will continue with a RWD C8 after 2020 .... I think it will depend greatly on sales popularity of the Zora, and market share continuing for the RWD.... and of course the financial logistics of building them both... After all, mid engine and electric is the wave of our future in automotive.... just how quickly that wave is going to overtake us is the ultimate question.....

I have no comment on the Cadillac ... Other than if you have one, I've heard laser surgery can help you see clearly again... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now. As Graham eloquently penned......

Discuss!

I do agree after thinking it over that you are almost certainly correct that there will be no redesign of the C7 to accommodate the electric front drive. Not sure there would be much of the C7 design left trying to fit all that in.
Clearly yes change is on the horizon.
The prices of the C8 still is the sticking point with me. Once the C7 is over with the prices we are expecting for the C8 base (Zora, Tora, Laura, Stingray...whatever they call it); we may see a base model 500-600 HP RWD car with a sticker price almost double the price of a loaded C7 Stingray. I believe many customers are going to be very unhappy with that.
I would expect GM has a plan to keep these cars within the realm of the current customers with pricing vs trim.
What strikes me odd is the way they are going about this. Why not bring the C8 out as an exotic supercar with a different name and leave the beloved Corvette as a stand alone model. Always known as the working mans dream car. Then years later make the transition once the bugs are out of the supercar and the technology is cheaper. I guess you can argue that is what they are doing and that's fine if the prices and trims end up comparable to the C7 of today, however it kind of feels like GM is transferring the risk to it loyal customers.

I am eagerly waiting for the announcement of the C7 ZR1 and the C8 Zora. Might be a tough decision.

Would you guys pay the C7 ZR1 price for a C8 RWD Zora with a less optioned trim and less HP?

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Time will tell I guess Derek....But I think double a C7 loaded cost (+/-$150K) will buy you a mid engine Zora AWD, 500+ HP with options... $ 180K will buy you the 900 HP ZR1 option... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Time will tell I guess Derek....But I think double a C7 loaded cost (+/-$150K) will but you a mid engine Zora AWD, 500+ HP with options... $ 180K will buy you the 900 HP ZR1 option... :D

This still puts new owners in a base model C8 car for far more dough than a loaded C7. Is Corvette going supercar for the elite now? I just can't see it. Blue collar dudes made the Corvette as successful as it is.
I have to believe we will see pricing that makes it a fair choice....not an imposed decision based on price on the C7 or C8 for the next few years. As if not in the end the C8 (the fun ones) will be almost double the price of a C7 3LZ Z06.
Really curious to learn what trim packages are going to be offered.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I hope you are right Derek......I hope GM respects the 30,000 to 40,000 or so corvettes per year that they have been selling since the C7 came out. If the C8 mid engine becomes the stand alone Corvette, well.... not sure what will happen...

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.