I wanted a louder sound as well, but before I spent a bunch of cash on a new system, I did the OEM muffler modification. This made the mufflers have a better tone, and slightly more volume (approx. 15%).. It's nothing like a Corsa, but I like it as is. We do a lot of road trips, so I wasn't interested in a very loud sound for hours of driving on some days.
This is not for everyone, but it is a simple and cheap mod, using a 3/4 - 1" steel hole saw cutting through the muffler and through the outlet piping about 2" before it exits the muffler into the tail pipe. (see the attached diagram of cut out muffler). The red dot signifies where to drill through the pipe. This can be done from under the muffler. I don't have a pic of the welded cap-painted portion of the finished muffler, but I can get one if some wants to see it.
I went with a 3/4" hole, put a 1/2' electrical panel SS plug to cover the hole just to see if I had enough sound to satisfy me. If not, I would of drilled a 1" hole. I found that I was satisfied with the 3/4 " hole, so I got a 1/2" SS hole plug welded on top of the hole, grinded the weld to make it pretty, and painted that part of the muffler with flat black high heat paint. I've never had any issues passing the yearly vehicle inspections.

Attachments

• inside muffler-hole position.jpg
    inside muffler-hole position.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 24
  • drill bit2.jpg
    drill bit2.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Useful
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
MUFFLER ONLY - QUESTION.
I know this is an old thread from last year but...
I have an 07 Roadster convertible and it needs more sound (stock now).
I can ONLY afford MUFFLERS this year - Long story. - Can't afford Axle/Cat Backs right now.
I don't want the dreaded drone - if I can help it - but am desperate for louder exhaust.
Has anyone changed out JUST THE MUFFLERS on a otherwise stock exhaust and car?
I like low muscle car tones realizing the LS firing order sound is different.
Not too loud - but louder needed! - Need to be able to hear the wife talking while cruising! :)

RECOMMENDATIONS?
1. I'm curious as to what you have done for mufflers only - Brands, model # etc.
2. Advice - BEST muffler shop in Calgary that speaks and knows hot rods & their mufflers??
Thank you in advance!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.