Featured Thread
Apr 27, 2019
Washington DC
VetteCoins
Just got my first project Corvette and excited to get started on it. Thankfully it is in running condition but has a lot of cosmetic attention needing done. Welcome and appreciate any thoughts or advice on weatherstripping kit, fiberglass repair, bucket seat foam and upholstery, door panels and anything else you see wrong. Thanks!

John

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2773884094.jpg
    iOS Image - 2773884094.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 28
  • iOS Image - 2420793464.jpg
    iOS Image - 2420793464.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 27
  • iOS Image - 989433754.jpg
    iOS Image - 989433754.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 26
  • iOS Image - 3448217811.jpg
    iOS Image - 3448217811.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 27
Hi jwendell413! Looking at pics of your Vette...obviously requires a lot of TLC! Hope you got a really great deal on it, as it will cost a fortune to repair and replace most components on this car. First, grab a clipboard and do a serious walk-a-round assessment of this vehicle, mark down everything that is "wrong". Go online and check out Eckler's, Zip, Corvette America, and Corvette Depot (Canada) to get the pricing on what is required to repair or replace on your car. When you tally up the "dollars", you then have to make a serious judgement call, as to whether it is worth it to go through the trouble and huge expense of time and money, understanding that there is a ceiling as to what this car is worth, what it's average return would be if you sold it, and about how long would you keep this vehicle in your possession. Last summer I bought but then swapped a 93 6-speed 40th anniversary coupe with proven pedigree for an 86 Vette in fairly great condition. While this was a mechanically sound vehicle, it would have cost well over $10000 to repair all the cosmetic problems, not worth it to me as an investment, based on it's market value. However, I figure I came out ahead, as I now own a vehicle worth double what I paid for the '93. Don't let this become a money pit, these Vettes are expensive toys, but they are loads of fun, just keep a clear perspective on things.

Just got my first project Corvette and excited to get started on it. Thankfully it is in running condition but has a lot of cosmetic attention needing done. Welcome and appreciate any thoughts or advice on weatherstripping kit, fiberglass repair, bucket seat foam and upholstery, door panels and anything else you see wrong. Thanks!

John

Welcome to the forum John. Yes.Your car needs some TLC for sure but we watch members re-build cars from the asphalt up here quite often. Vette93 is correct that you should do an inventory on what your car needs for parts and pieces and the costs. Have a real good look at it structurally and mechanically as well. Look and ask around Virginia and neighbouring states for used Vette parts. You're in a great area for searching out Corvette wrecker yards etc. You'll be surprised what you can find. It sounds like you are capable of doing a lot of the work yourself which will certainly help in the cost department. Outside labour costs are a killer. If you're building the car to sell or trade, yes, you need to look at what the end value will be also. But if you're looking to build this car for yourself, to drive it and be proud of your restoration, that's worth extra for sure.

You might want to do a little intro in the New Users section of the forum as well. You'll get lots of welcomes and likely some more ideas and opinions. :happy:

Reactions: jwendell413
Hi jwendell413! Looking at pics of your Vette...obviously requires a lot of TLC! Hope you got a really great deal on it, as it will cost a fortune to repair and replace most components on this car. First, grab a clipboard and do a serious walk-a-round assessment of this vehicle, mark down everything that is "wrong". Go online and check out Eckler's, Zip, Corvette America, and Corvette Depot (Canada) to get the pricing on what is required to repair or replace on your car. When you tally up the "dollars", you then have to make a serious judgement call, as to whether it is worth it to go through the trouble and huge expense of time and money, understanding that there is a ceiling as to what this car is worth, what it's average return would be if you sold it, and about how long would you keep this vehicle in your possession. Last summer I bought but then swapped a 93 6-speed 40th anniversary coupe with proven pedigree for an 86 Vette in fairly great condition. While this was a mechanically sound vehicle, it would have cost well over $10000 to repair all the cosmetic problems, not worth it to me as an investment, based on it's market value. However, I figure I came out ahead, as I now own a vehicle worth double what I paid for the '93. Don't let this become a money pit, these Vettes are expensive toys, but they are loads of fun, just keep a clear perspective on things.

Thanks for the extensive advice and remind me to be grounded in my expectations. Fortunately I went into this purchase ($2,600 USD) with the hope of having a fun car to learn on mechanically and get long tenured joy out of. I have no intent of getting showroom quality or flipping for a profit, but am hopeful to learn new skills and a craft I’ve always wanted to, and to revive the beauty this car once had and to keep it on the road. So far I’m estimating an easy $4-5k into all of the aesthetic, minor mechanical things I’m aware of, let alone what will come up along the way. I expect to spread this out over a few years. Maybe I’m an idiot 😆

Thanks for the extensive advice and remind me to be grounded in my expectations. Fortunately I went into this purchase ($2,600 USD) with the hope of having a fun car to learn on mechanically and get long tenured joy out of. I have no intent of getting showroom quality or flipping for a profit, but am hopeful to learn new skills and a craft I’ve always wanted to, and to revive the beauty this car once had and to keep it on the road. So far I’m estimating an easy $4-5k into all of the aesthetic, minor mechanical things I’m aware of, let alone what will come up along the way. I expect to spread this out over a few years. Maybe I’m an idiot 😆

No you are certainly not an idiot. If the frame, engine and driveline are reasonable and do not need anything major, you are going to have a great time and polish up this car to be totally enjoyable to drive. It’s totally up to you how you want it cosmetically and how much you want to throw into it. I would get the mechanical side buffed up and reliable and enjoy the hell out of it. You can add improvements as you go along.
Good for you man. Taking a corvette and bringing it back to being enjoyed as it is meant to be. 👍👍👍👍

Based on what you paid for this Vette, you got a reasonable good start. If you can watch for a good discount promotion from one of the Vette restoration guys I mentioned earlier, order up a bunch of stuff all at the same time, such as a new top, complete rubber weatherstrip kit, complete interior parts, new seat foams and covers, carpet package, whatever. Obviously based on what you can afford, but it reduces the overall cost and saves a heap of shipping costs. Then with all in hand, you can redo stuff at your leisure, having everything available at your fingertips.ddgermann & Rruuff Day are correct...before you jump on the cosmetics...check out all the mechanics diligently. Don't put a dime into it unless it's mechanically sound! REMEMBER!! Lipstick on a pig is still a pig!

If in no rush it helps to wait for the certain times of year that the dealers have sales on parts......black friday, Xmas etc. Watch kijiji or ebay also as you never know what pops up there at a good deal......a guy could of bought a upholstery kit but totaled the car off before he installed it and no longer needs it so is dumping it...things like that to watch for. Go to any auto swap meets hunting. Paint and body are the big ticket items but from the pic I see yours just needs some polishing to make more presentable , so that is a saving for now. Enjoy your project.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread