Nov 24, 2022
VetteCoins
Car
C3 1979
Province
QC
Hey guys!

New to the Corvette world, so please be gentle,,,
I am looking at buying a 1979 with an L-48 which appears to be in great shape, at least from the pictures available.
From the searching I have done, I see the L-48 has a lower market value due to its less powerful engine of course.
So my question is: assuming this C3 has the original matching numbers engine and tranny, should I keep the stock engine or swap it for a more powerful combo from a market value perspective?
I already own a 2000 Porsche Carrera convertible, so the performance of the C3 is not critical to me. The Porsche goes enough!
But this all black T-Top C3 is just drop-dead gorgeous!!! I just wish it has the L-82...
So, swap it or not?

Hey guys!

New to the Corvette world, so please be gentle,,,
I am looking at buying a 1979 with an L-48 which appears to be in great shape, at least from the pictures available.
From the searching I have done, I see the L-48 has a lower market value due to its less powerful engine of course.
So my question is: assuming this C3 has the original matching numbers engine and tranny, should I keep the stock engine or swap it for a more powerful combo from a market value perspective?
I already own a 2000 Porsche Carrera convertible, so the performance of the C3 is not critical to me. The Porsche goes enough!
But this all black T-Top C3 is just drop-dead gorgeous!!! I just wish it has the L-82...
So, swap it or not?
Matching numbers don't mean a lot anymore to most buyers but the other side of that is you would be swapping engines for only a 30 hp gain if you went with a same year L82 engine. If your L48 works well and you won't miss having the get up and go performance and just drive it for the nice car it is, leave it. The L48 is a tough build to get much more out of it with engine mods as well. If you will miss the power, drop an LS2 or LS3 in it instead of the L82. As the 79 isn't rare or overly special, market value for an LS2 or 3 upgrade would increase resale for the driver who wants that performance but likely not enough to pay for the mod either. That's totally just my opinion.
And welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Thanks a lot Rruff Day! And very good advice!
I was not thinking of swapping with an L-82, 25 ponies ain't worth it! I was thinking more of a suitable crate engine. But not to the level of LS2 or 3, something less costly. But the idea of keeping it as is, allows me to enjoy it anyway AND keep enough budget to complete the Porsche project...sorry to be talking about my other dream car! Sure you can understand.
And I can just decide to swap later if an opportunity comes along.
On a more technical note, did I actually read that the L-48 has more torque than the L-82? I have read 270 ft-lbs for the L-82 (@3600 rpm) and 285 ft-lbs (@3200 rpm) for the L-48! So accelleration can't be that bad, can it?

Thanks a lot Rruff Day! And very good advice!
I was not thinking of swapping with an L-82, 25 ponies ain't worth it! I was thinking more of a suitable crate engine. But not to the level of LS2 or 3, something less costly. But the idea of keeping it as is, allows me to enjoy it anyway AND keep enough budget to complete the Porsche project...sorry to be talking about my other dream car! Sure you can understand.
And I can just decide to swap later if an opportunity comes along.
On a more technical note, did I actually read that the L-48 has more torque than the L-82? I have read 270 ft-lbs for the L-82 (@3600 rpm) and 285 ft-lbs (@3200 rpm) for the L-48! So accelleration can't be that bad, can it?
All depends on your perspective Claude. 195 horses will get you where you need to go but if you need that instant punch throttle response to get a smile....well.... And no worries talking about your Porsche...We are car people here and although we sometimes make jokes about non corvettes, that's just our warped sense of humour... lol.... All good.

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
@Claude Welcome to a bit of our World. We do like them Porsche cars too.
The L48 is somewhat wanting for power. If all you wish is a nice Touring car that looks great than just enjoy the car with the L48. If more power is needed(?) then a crate engine like you mentioned is a perfect replacement. And put your L48 aside for future.
I installed a crate ZZ4 engine in our ‘75 coupe in 1998. It totally woke the car up. The original engine is STORED away for if I ever entertain the possibility of vintage/collector plates in the future.
621E26AC-A6B9-4808-A4E9-5BA3012C8855.jpeg
509F7978-AEA1-46B3-9AD6-5D9F57976C0B.jpeg

enjoy the ride.

graham
Langley, BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread