100Amps

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Casual User
Nov 15, 2022
Ladner, BC
VetteCoins
Car
'79 Corvette L82
Province
BC
This thread will be the home to my '79 Corvette L82 repair and update project. I'll have a ton of questions. I'll appreciate any advice. It's many years since I've worked on cars, ...like when this car was new.

Here's some details about the car. I bought it recently. As far as I could tell the frame is fairly solid, though it's hard to check the birdcage. I did check a few easy to reach spots and it looked fine, but I'll have to dig deeper once spring rolls around. (Someone say spring rolls? I'm getting hungry.) The car is wrapped in my driveway for the winter but I might have pictures kicking around.
  • It's GM Light Blue (aka Frost Blue, though Frost Blue looks a bit darker to me, nicer too). It's covered in a matte black with white racing stripe vinyl wrap currently that will be peeled off.
  • It's got an L82 engine which is correct for the VIN. I don't know if the engine is numbers matching or not. The block pad has some overlapping stamps which look like a bad attempt to modify it. It runs well, as near as I can tell without diving in. The engine bay looks fairly stock, not all chromey, 'cept the Edelbrock air cleaner. I do have the stock dual snorkel.
The problems (biggest to smallest):
  • There's a loud howl coming form the rear-end. Not sure if it's the diff or the u-joints or what, yet. I'll have to fix the next problem first, so I can hear it properly.
  • The exhaust system currently consists of headers, short pipes, and a pair of cherry bomb style mufflers situated before the read end. These gotta go! It's insanely loud. I'll replace all that except the headers with something more normal.
  • An oil leak near the rear of the engine. So, rear seal probably or maybe something else.
  • Steering system leaks. Hoses, control valve... I don't know yet. It's also got a lot of "steering slop" that needs tweaking.
  • It's been lowered and it's not even left to right. Not sure why yet. I checked the leaf spring hang bolts visually, and they look like they're the same length. I'll probably put it back to stock, because it's already too hard to get into the cockpit. But then, the front is lowered too, so it wouldn't match. I might remedy that too.
  • Speaking of that, it's got a non T&T steering column. Bummer. And a '76 4-spoke steering wheel. Bummer.
  • The rear carpet is faded compared to the front carpet, which looks somewhat newer. Maybe a can of dye will fix that.
  • Lots of worn out bushings and other rubber parts, though the PO did replace a bunch of them. I'll have to take an inventory of bad ones when I climb underneath it next.
--Todd (100Amps)

This thread will be the home to my '79 Corvette L82 repair and update project. I'll have a ton of questions. I'll appreciate any advice. It's many years since I've worked on cars, ...like when this car was new.

Here's some details about the car. I bought it recently. As far as I could tell the frame is fairly solid, though it's hard to check the birdcage. I did check a few easy to reach spots and it looked fine, but I'll have to dig deeper once spring rolls around. (Someone say spring rolls? I'm getting hungry.) The car is wrapped in my driveway for the winter but I might have pictures kicking around.
  • It's GM Light Blue (aka Frost Blue, though Frost Blue looks a bit darker to me, nicer too). It's covered in a matte black with white racing stripe vinyl wrap currently that will be peeled off.
  • It's got an L82 engine which is correct for the VIN. I don't know if the engine is numbers matching or not. The block pad has some overlapping stamps which look like a bad attempt to modify it. It runs well, as near as I can tell without diving in. The engine bay looks fairly stock, not all chromey, 'cept the Edelbrock air cleaner. I do have the stock dual snorkel.
The problems (biggest to smallest):
  • There's a loud howl coming form the rear-end. Not sure if it's the diff or the u-joints or what, yet. I'll have to fix the next problem first, so I can hear it properly.
  • The exhaust system currently consists of headers, short pipes, and a pair of cherry bomb style mufflers situated before the read end. These gotta go! It's insanely loud. I'll replace all that except the headers with something more normal.
  • An oil leak near the rear of the engine. So, rear seal probably or maybe something else.
  • Steering system leaks. Hoses, control valve... I don't know yet. It's also got a lot of "steering slop" that needs tweaking.
  • It's been lowered and it's not even left to right. Not sure why yet. I checked the leaf spring hang bolts visually, and they look like they're the same length. I'll probably put it back to stock, because it's already too hard to get into the cockpit. But then, the front is lowered too, so it wouldn't match. I might remedy that too.
  • Speaking of that, it's got a non T&T steering column. Bummer. And a '76 4-spoke steering wheel. Bummer.
  • The rear carpet is faded compared to the front carpet, which looks somewhat newer. Maybe a can of dye will fix that.
  • Lots of worn out bushings and other rubber parts, though the PO did replace a bunch of them. I'll have to take an inventory of bad ones when I climb underneath it next.
--Todd (100Amps)

Yup. Sounds like a project Todd. We will be watching for your updates. :thumbs:

This is the Craigslist ad photo of the car before I bought it. C3s really do get a bad wrap sometimes. Only the front bumper and left fender are showing the Frost Blue paint colour.

00101_dWnprJR3FM6z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Here's a pic of the goal. Just a stock photo from the interwebs...

chevrolet-corvette-sm.jpg

The weather is sunny and [relatively] warm-ish today so I'm grabbing the heat gun and starting to peel today (after I'm adequately coffee'd up).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice growly muffler that isn't too loud? I know, it's kind of subjective, but I trust you (kinda).
Corsa has their 'sport' system that is mildly growly until you put your foot in it. Not sure if they have a setup for a C3 or not. I had them on my C6 and loved them. Zero drone on the highway is one of their claims to fame. Not cheap though.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Corsa has their 'sport' system that is mildly growly until you put your foot in it. Not sure if they have a setup for a C3 or not. I had them on my C6 and loved them. Zero drone on the highway is one of their claims to fame. Not cheap though.
I,ve always liked the sound of magnaflow. Have them on my 97 Put 4inch resonator tips on just to eliminate any drone.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I,ve always liked the sound of magnaflow. Have them on my 97 Put 4inch resonator tips on just to eliminate any drone.
I've been 'researching' the sounds recently and I have to agree, so far Magnaflow mufflers have that sound I like. I really don't like the Flowmaster sound. Thanks for responding.

I spend some quality time with the heat gun on the weekend, peeling vinyl off the rear of the car. I was expecting the rear bumper to be plastic but it's fiberglass. Maybe that's as it should be, or maybe it's been replaced at some point. It needs some body work, it has some waviness along the deck seam. The paint on the body looks fine. The gray stuff in the photo is adhesive from the vinyl wrap. There's a square patch to the right of the gas cap that I scrubbed on with lacquer thinner and it comes off easy enough. It looks like there will be a lot to scrub off. There didn't seem to be any magic amount of applied heat that would let the adhesive peel off with the vinyl. I'm guessing it was cheap Amazon wrap. I wouldn't expect that from 3M, though I know nothing about wrap.

I'm disassembling all the pieces; lights, filler cover, emblems, and I'll take the bumper into the garage for some minor body work. It looks much worse than it really is in terms of condition and structural integrity.

PXL_20221120_230052096.jpg

The patch over the antenna hole is comical. Must have been a drywaller that mudded that up. It is a significant bump. Yes, that's a metal screen embedded in the bondo. It'll be fun to remove. ...yeah.

PXL_20221120_230103537.jpg

..Todd

@100Amps You sir appear to be having so much fun.
Thank you for the updates with,pictures. We all like to follow along on other people ’s work!
My Buddy’s wife in Aldergrove is the original owner of her light-frost-blue ‘79. He comes on here often.
Another buddy here in Langley is totally customizing his ‘79 and has many stock or older parts available. I do know he has a complete exhaust, headers, mufflers, pipes, etc available as he is going with side-pipes on his built.
keep us posted and don’t be afraid to ask questions,
graham
South Langley.

@100Amps You sir appear to be having so much fun.
Thank you for the updates with,pictures. We all like to follow along on other people ’s work!
My Buddy’s wife in Aldergrove is the original owner of her light-frost-blue ‘79. He comes on here often.
Another buddy here in Langley is totally customizing his ‘79 and has many stock or older parts available. I do know he has a complete exhaust, headers, mufflers, pipes, etc available as he is going with side-pipes on his built.
keep us posted and don’t be afraid to ask questions,
graham
South Langley.
Cool. Thanks, Nascar3. Sounds like a good contact to have.

Reactions: nascar03
There were 53,807 Corvettes produced in 1979, the most of any year of Corvette ever built. I do not think rare collector status will ever tag a 79. Do what you want to it, make it your own, have fun along the way. If the time comes around to pass it along, you will get what the future buyer is willing to pay. You might get your invested money back and you might not. Just enjoy the ride...make some awesome friends and enjoy the Corvette culture along the way. Just my 2 cents worth.
Yes, I'm aware of all that. I hope you feel better now having gotten it off your chest.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.