I was in at my local GM dealer on Friday for an oil change and to get a tire repaired - 2 hr+ wait; so, I spoke a salesman about the ZR1: I could order one - around $170K with the pkg. that incl. the the performance pkg. and the huge wing or without about $155K. However they have you by the "you know what" because if you don't order the perf. pkg. you can't get the MRC option separately. He thought that for resale people would want the perf. pkg. - so, he suggested ordering and when the car is picked up take it to someone to have the huge wing removed and a standard one installed and keep the large wing for resale which adds probably another $5 k all-in, I would think? Be interested in comments from others as I would never be tracking a ZR1 and if I ordered one without that pkg. is that going to diminish it's value to someone else going forward?

Reactions: ddgermann
Your salesman has given you great advice , all I can add is try the big wing for a month or 2 then decide it really makes the car so much more special . good luck btw I got mine in April and have 10k of pure ecstasy

I was in at my local GM dealer on Friday for an oil change and to get a tire repaired - 2 hr+ wait; so, I spoke a salesman about the ZR1: I could order one - around $170K with the pkg. that incl. the the performance pkg. and the huge wing or without about $155K. However they have you by the "you know what" because if you don't order the perf. pkg. you can't get the MRC option separately. He thought that for resale people would want the perf. pkg. - so, he suggested ordering and when the car is picked up take it to someone to have the huge wing removed and a standard one installed and keep the large wing for resale which adds probably another $5 k all-in, I would think? Be interested in comments from others as I would never be tracking a ZR1 and if I ordered one without that pkg. is that going to diminish it's value to someone else going forward?

Interesting idea. The low wing looks great on these cars too. At my dealership in YEG they have a ZR1 customer who had his car in for service the same time as me. We got chatting and he wanted to get his big wing removed and the smaller one installed. Said GM would not sell them; the dealership or him the small wing and the guy was not able to install any different aero on the car that came from GM. Apparently the aero is not available to replace with anything other than original configuration as per GM. The service guys there confirmed this as they were also perplexed by that stand by GM.

2 dealerships 2 completely opposite stories.
I wonder if your dealership actually contracted GM and proposed this.

May not be a big deal though as something will be available through aftermarket soon anyway.

Interesting idea. The low wing looks great on these cars too. At my dealership in YEG they have a ZR1 customer who had his car in for service the same time as me. We got chatting and he wanted to get his big wing removed and the smaller one installed. Said GM would not sell them; the dealership or him the small wing and the guy was not able to install any different aero on the car that came from GM. Apparently the aero is not available to replace with anything other than original configuration as per GM. The service guys there confirmed this as they were also perplexed by that stand by GM.

2 dealerships 2 completely opposite stories.
I wonder if your dealership actually contracted GM and proposed this.

May not be a big deal though as something will be available through aftermarket soon anyway.
I don't know to be sure because he stated that for legal liability reasons he or anyone affiliated with GM would not be able to get involved. I asked him if he would do the research to find out for me and he said NO for the reason just expressed. The concern is tracking the car without the proper wing and something happens? No sure this is legit though because many cars are tracked that are not necessarily outfitted to do. Any lawyers out there to give feedback because this sounds like so much B.S. to me?

Your salesman has given you great advice , all I can add is try the big wing for a month or 2 then decide it really makes the car so much more special . good luck btw I got mine in April and have 10k of pure ecstasy
I want ease of trunk access for golf clubs etc. and for me, it looks weird with the huge wing - I really like the other lower wing that is available. I put money down on a C8 in case I don't order the ZR1 - probably better off at $170K buying the new mid-engine; however, may still get the ZR1 if I can get an answer on installing the smaller wing - couldn't another shop (non GM) order for me and install?

I want ease of trunk access for golf clubs etc. and for me, it looks weird with the huge wing - I really like the other lower wing that is available. I put money down on a C8 in case I don't order the ZR1 - probably better off at $170K buying the new mid-engine; however, may still get the ZR1 if I can get an answer on installing the smaller wing - couldn't another shop (non GM) order for me and install?

Yes that’s exactly the same reason the Customer in YEG stated. Convienence for access; specifically golf clubs.
What I was told is GM will not sell the wing period unless the original wing is proven damaged and it must be returned.

The liability scenario position does make sense though.

So it’s going to be aftermarket or order a different car configuration without the track package.

Soon there will be many choices for us with the C8 coming out. I’m curious to see if golf clubs can even fit in the C8.

I like this car but for anyone that already owns a C7 Z06 with the Z07 package and 8A is it really worth giving it up and forking out the extra $$$ for a ZR1?

0-100kph in 2.85, i thought that it would be quicker than that. Z06 with 8A is doing it in just under 3 secs and with a pulley swap and tune it will surely match or even beat the ZR1.

• Agree
I like this car but for anyone that already owns a C7 Z06 with the Z07 package and 8A is it really worth giving it up and forking out the extra $$$ for a ZR1?

0-100kph in 2.85, i thought that it would be quicker than that. Z06 with 8A is doing it in just under 3 secs and with a pulley swap and tune it will surely match or even beat the ZR1.

I have the Z06 with Z07. The 0-60 time is a joke as so many variables are involved. The main one being the driver.
My car is is manual which is advertised as 0.2 seconds slower than the A8 for 0-60. Guess how much that bothers me? Exactly... not one bit. I got the manual because that’s what I like. Period.
I’ve used launch control a total of 0 times.
For the money currently being raked in for this car... performance wise the C7 ZR1 is a joke. The stock to stock roll comparisons I’ve see between the Z06 and ZR1 are way too close to fork out another 60k. Especially, as you say, a minor amount of work on the Z06 will put it side by side with the ZR1. The styling of the ZR1 is sweet without a doubt but not sweet enough to take the $$ beating. GM marketing of the ZR1 was very good and the limited build was the smart way for them to go as the lots would be full of them otherwise. Oddly though I would have quickly paid 20-30k to move into a ZR1 had they been available for MSRP.
The C8 will change this entire game soon enough though. 😁

You are lucky to get over 110 Km/hr. here in BC unless on the Coq. anyway: 460 HP more than enough for me to pass any car in a big hurry!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread