Dec 23, 2013
Winnipeg
VetteCoins
Car
1976/2014 Coupes
Question for "ojamali" took my Z51 in for an oil change yesterday and it was over filled taking it back today to get corrected. I've heard that the manual has the wrong spec in it, did GM put out something in writing as to what the new amount of oil is to be added.

Thanks in advance.......(they did use Mobil 1) so they got something right....

Hi sneakytoot,

According to the 2015 Owners Manual the Z51 and Z06 is supposed to get about 0.5 Litre additional oil so it should be a little higher than the max oil limit as per the dip stick.

The Base stingrays are allowed "upto" 7.6L of ACDelco Dexos whereas the Z51 and Z06 are allowed "upto" 10 litres of Mobil 1.

Wow, it's not what they say at other forums, Z51 up to 9.3 quarts = 8.801 litres. Definitely not 10 way to much that will couse problems. Best idea is to get 8.5 litres and get the extra 0.5 litre with you and add on till you in the middle of oil stick. Not to argue about it but trust me 10 is to much.

My 2014 owners manual says 9.3 liter / 9.8 quarts for Z51.

That was a reduction from earlier cars when they said 10.3 quarts in the owners manual.

If they are now saying more oil than 9.3 liter, I haven't heard that. First it was rumored that they reduced oil capacity because Z51s were puking oil back into the intake through the fresh air draw. Then GM said the puking issue was caused by silicone in the break in oil causing foaming or some such and told people to change their oil after 500 miles.

I've owned GM all my life but have never seen such a debacle. GM needs to get it together on this.

The LOF program states "UPTO" 10 litres for Z51, Z06 and the Camaro Z28.

The correct level is as per the specific manual for your Z51 or Z06. The LOF program guidelines are more general to cover a large number of vehicles/engines.

As per the manual for 2015 Z51 the oil level is supposed to be half litre above the max oil level for optimal performance.

As per the manual for 2015 Z51 the oil level is supposed to be half litre above the max oil level for optimal performance.

So the max is not actually the max, and GM is saying run above the max in the 2015, but ok if you run in the cross hatch area in the 2014. Wow ...

Last edited:
Oil above max is a NO NO

The LOF program states "UPTO" 10 litres for Z51, Z06 and the Camaro Z28.

The correct level is as per the specific manual for your Z51 or Z06. The LOF program guidelines are more general to cover a large number of vehicles/engines.

If you run above the max oil level by half litre all you are going to do is get that oil vapour into your air intake, because a dry sump engine works on a vacuum system, coming off the dry sump tank is a air line to your intake so by overfilling under aggressive driving your getting oil into your intake. The best oil level when checked properly is to have the level when hot at the hot mark on the dipstick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.