image_47285_58b7290c312a4ff297ccf8b5736f5e2c084202bf.jpg

Reactions: vinny's vette
Even if true, the quote states it's a "MAXIMUM" and it may be GM trying to ensure it has an abundance of components to make the Z06 and won't run out. I doubt Z06 production will be that high. Most dealers I talk to expect they'll get a lower number especially in the first year of Z06 production. And as Murray points out, there's still ++ demand for the Stingray. Not everyone will be able to afford the Z06 and GM will want to fill Stingray orders to satisfy the majority of its Corvette customer base. Thanks for the post Denis.

Another thing I thought of is how many engine builders there are.
They would need 60 engineers building 1 engine each per day.
It's likely doable, but I wouldn't want to stretch it.
I read that they have 30 engine builders. I think each builder can easily build 2-3 engines per day

Reactions: Zedder
I read that they have 30 engine builders. I think each builder can easily build 2-3 engines per day
Easily? Does that include the testing etc.? I can see maybe 2, but I'm assuming everything on the engine. Including alternator etc. Do pistons arrive to the engineer with the rings on them? etc. etc.

Easily? Does that include the testing etc.? I can see maybe 2, but I'm assuming everything on the engine. Including alternator etc. Do pistons arrive to the engineer with the rings on them? etc. etc.
I don't think builders are the ones testing the engines

4 guys build 2 engines in 17ish minutes...30 guys should be able to build 15 engines in 20 minutes easy...thus in an 8 hour shift = 45/hour x 7 hr shift (giving time for lunch and a couple pee breaks) = 315/shift conservatively. Thats 255 more engines than cars built....No Sweat.

4 guys build 2 engines in 17ish minutes...30 guys should be able to build 15 engines in 20 minutes easy...thus in an 8 hour shift = 45/hour x 7 hr shift (giving time for lunch and a couple pee breaks) = 315/shift conservatively. Thats 255 more engines than cars built....No Sweat.

The heads are already assembled! Yes, I can put 4 parts together in 15 minutes. If that is what engine building is then who cares whether they are hand assembled. lol

Do hand built engines in 2022 differ from hand built engines from the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc?
Were engines built by something other than hands, up until now?
GM charges hefty money for an option, and gets the buyer to do the assembly work!
That's flippin' genius.

What’s the maximum number of Corvettes (of any kind) that can be built in one day? According to Murray’s posts it seems to be just shy of 190. So will Stingray numbers drop comparably to the Z06 production numbers?

Correct. I don't believe we have heard GM saying they will increase production.

What’s the maximum number of Corvettes (of any kind) that can be built in one day? According to Murray’s posts it seems to be just shy of 190. So will Stingray numbers drop comparably to the Z06 production numbers?
Yes, Stingray production will drop. I'm not sure if I'll get numbers separately or not, but time will tell.
Tact time was 11.5 cars per hour in a perfect day. I doubt the Z06 will take any longer to build, but that's just my guess. So if they produce 60 Z06's per (perfect) day then they can only build 124 Stingrays. That is why GM wants dealers to keep one list. I'm sure GM is expecting demand for the Z06 to be relatively high, but who knows. I don't.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread