Hi all, was thinking of changing out the stock sway bars on my 99 vert, to ZO6 style, and was wondering if anyone has done this, and will I notice a difference in handling? I do not race the car, so would it be worth it? I am assuming that I do not have the Z51 package, and if I do how can i tell....JSH
I have a 2003 and the options are listed on the glove compartment door. Check yours. Even if you do have the Z51 Package, my Black Book says they upgraded the Z51 package in 2000 with larger front and rear stabilizer bars and revised shock absorber valving. So you may find larger sway bars out there, even if you have the package on yours.

i own a 2000 coupe , 6 speed, lowered it +/- 25mm all around (stock) gave me better handling but the best improvement was when i installed a set of Johnny O front/rear sway bar ( comes with adjustable drop links ) ,
i could set camber less aggressive ( tire wear last longer ) . toe and caster are at factory spec. corner weight at 50.06%, with 29psi all around michelin tires.
FYI : the rear Jhonny O sway bar is twice bigger than factory (30mm versus 16mm ).as well as front.

so, to answer your questions: if you like getting in or out highways with great corner/sweep speed , bigger sway bar is the way to go at cheap $$ and easy labor. (still need alignment and tire pressure at the right spot).

pat

Attachments

• 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 67
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 72
  • jhonny o'.jpg
    jhonny o'.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 70
i also do have F45 shock setup, my shocks are working pretty Well, not expecting To change them at all , , i would keep F45 shocks. but if they are shot bilsteins are the best, you Will have To bypass F45 sensors Tho, if you do not your car Will get stock at 80 km/h .

Have no leaks in the shocks so far, and it all feels good, about how many miles would you say they are good for? or just run them till they go. This is my first C5, have had older vets my hole life, so all this knew technology is definitely new to me. Not easy learning all this new stuff at my age LOL , thanks for the info ….James.

i cannot tell you exactly how long they gonna last , but i have seen C5 and C6 with these shocks with over 150 000km , mine have 114000km and they all good ,i think the key is To use all three settings as much as you need.

if they are not leaking or squeeking cause by valving failure (this is why you to use all three settings regular) keep it since only corvette and Ferrari have this kind of suspension setup, makes this car spécial IMO.

Reactions: Bixter44
i paid 1700$ for sway bar kit , NOT stage 1.
stage 1 includes shocks which if you have magnétic suspension (F45) you need To add simulator kit (450$).
corvetteplus in Montréal, they installed it and did alignment/cornerweight in place.

Well, I am really late to the party on this one. Good upgrades for our C5's is also to look at installing the C6 Z51 sway bars and metal end links. This is the cheapest option and is usually paired with also purchasing the C6 Z06 shocks. They are not as good as the JOC bars, but close. I put the C6 Z06 shocks on my car a couple summers ago when I lowered it around .75 to 1 inch. It firmed up the ride and kept the rear end from bouncing off the bump stops. Later I plan on doing the sways but have not completed this upgrade yet. No F45 for me as my car is a Z51 so that is why I upgraded the shocks. Another way to tell if your car has the Z51 is by the seats and power steering cooler in front of the harmonic balancer.

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
l just install C6 Z51 .. the rear one they are available l buy it new from myGMparts Canada part number 10339124. 130$ but the front one it's impossible to find it because they are discontinue .. there is only one sealer he sell OEM used one it from ebay and l buy it from him and they are great 119 $ Canadian dollar included fee and shipping very cheap. ...you need to buy it soon as possible .... Before they sold out .. unless if you go with aftermarket and they are very expensive

Last edited:
Have received the front C6 Z51 sways on E-bay, and ordered the rears from a GM parts dealer. Does anyone know where I can order online the 2013 updated metal end links at a decent price and receive them relatively quickly. I had ordered the rear C6 Z51 bar from a GM parts dealer in Ottawa, through Jim Tubman. And the communication is terrible. Seems I can only text them if I want information on my order, that has been close to 2 weeks now. I called GM dealer parts departments around my area, and the price per end link was about $90.00 each. Where as if I order them on line I would save quite a bit. Don't quite understand that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread