Jun 4, 2017
Martensville, SK
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette, 2023, Z51
Province
SK
Hey all, I got my hands on a supercharger from a 2017 Z06 and I was going to install it on my 2014 Z51. Since it's OEM, I figured it would be pretty much bolt on, but the guys in the local club said there were other modifications made to the LT1 compared to the LT4. Any ideas on what the modifications were and whether it's even a concern? From what I understand as long as you run it at reasonable boost, the LT1 will take the extra HP without much of an issue.

Last edited:
Got this off of a post: Compact Powerhouse: Inside Corvette Z06’s LT4 Engine

Fuel system –The direct injection system features a specific fuel pump and fuel rail assembly consisting of:
  • A higher-flow, 2,900-psi (20 MPa) fuel pump. The LT1 pump is rated at 2,175 psi (15 MPa)
  • Higher-flow, 25cc/second fuel injectors (LT1 is 20cc/second), with a unique spray cone for optimized combustion under boost
  • Higher capacity rail designed for the flow capacity of the new pump and injectors.
Cylinder heads / valvetrain – The LT4 features the same combustion system design as the LT1, but uses Rotocast A356-T6 aluminum cylinder heads, because they’re stronger and handle heat better than conventionally cast aluminum heads. The manufacturing process involves rotating the mold during casting to eliminate porosity and ensure a denser, more accurate component. Additional unique features include:
  • Larger, 65.47cc combustion chambers, compared to the LT1’s 59.02cc chambers
  • Lightweight 54mm solid titanium intake valves designed for great strength at high rpm and exception heat resistance. The LT1 uses 54mm hollow intake valves
  • The 40.4mm sodium-filled exhaust valves are the same as the LT1
  • High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection
  • A camshaft with longer exhaust duration – 189/223 crank angle degrees (intake/exhaust) at 0.050-in. tappet lift vs. 200/207 degrees for the LT1 – holds the valves open longer to process the greater volume of airflow enabled by the supercharger’s boosted air charge
  • Stainless steel exhaust manifolds that offer greater structure at higher temperatures.
Rotating assembly – Each component of the rotating assembly is unique to the LT4 to support the cylinder pressures the boosted engine is capable of generating, as well as the unique requirements for a lower compression ratio. Elements include:
  • A 1528MV forged steel crankshaft with tungsten balancing inserts, ground pin collars and intermediate pin drills for rods 1-6
  • A lightweight, forged 6061 aluminum damper with a T6 anodized hub and an iron inertia ring (the LT1 uses an iron damper)
  • Lightweight, high-strength powder-metal steel connecting rod design for reduced reciprocating mass and quicker rev capability. It has the same balance mass as the LT1 rod, but a higher load capability, with features including machined lightening slots and additional lightening features, as well as a “stepped”/wide pin end with a premium bushing
  • Forged aluminum pistons with flat top crown that supports the 10.1 compression ratio and internal ribs for strength (similar to the LS9 piston design). A premium ring pack includes a PVD-coated top ring, chrome-coated second compression ring and a nitrided oil control ring – all for exceptional wear resistance and durability under high cylinder pressure. The bottom ring land also features eight oil drains
  • Floating piston wrist pins with a durable diamond-like coating for durability and low friction.
Oiling system – Similar to the LT1, the new LT4 uses an engine lubrication system featuring a dual-pressure-control and variable-displacement vane pump. Variable displacement enables the pump to efficiently deliver oil pump flow as demanded. Dual-pressure-control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm coordinated with the Active Fuel Management and operation at a higher pressure at higher engine speeds, providing a more robust lube system with aggressive engine operation.

I'm not about to rip the entire engine apart to replace all of the items to make things identical, but I am curious as to which items would seem prudent.

Hey all, I got my hands on a supercharger from a 2017 Z06 and I was going to install it on my 2014 Z51. Since it's OEM, I figured it would be pretty much bolt on, but the guys in the local club said there were other modifications made to the LT1 compared to the LT4. Any ideas on what the modifications were and whether it's even a concern? From what I understand as long as you run it at reasonable boost, the LT1 will take the extra HP without much of an issue.

It's a little more involved but it is 'bolt on' based on what I've witnessed.

Here's what you'll need (I know a guy):

Z06 balancer
Z06 tensioners

LT4 S/C
LT4 Heat Exchanger, Water pump and Reservoir
LT1 to LT4 adapter plates

Tuning
Z06 intake
New plugs
New MAP sensor
New harness for new MAP sensor
new serpentine belt
New relays wiring for i/c pump
Modified valley plate

And last but not least you will run out of fuel so you will need Z06 injectors and a Z06 pump.

And if you want to reduce risk of spinning a bearing or something you will want a bigger pulley to reduce boost a bit.

There are of course differences between the LT1 and LT4 as per above post mostly around making it more resilient to boost carnage so your mileage will vary.

Reactions: ddgermann
Ok, I need to run this by the guy here in Martensville. He's boosted a lot of vehicles and he's the guy who I got the supercharger from. He bolted on a Procharger to his brand new Z06. He mentioned I needed a few things and I have three boxes full of parts, so I'll have to review what I need from what he gave me. Thanks for the input!

Rick9456 is supercharging his Z51 today... literally.

Maybe talk to him as he is going aftermarket but its a package deal with warranty. Might be cheaper and more reliable in the long run.

or.... trade her in for a nice red Z06.

Reactions: Nik
Rick9456 is supercharging his Z51 today... literally.

Maybe talk to him as he is going aftermarket but its a package deal with warranty. Might be cheaper and more reliable in the long run.

or.... trade her in for a nice red Z06.

Yeah, that's a fair point, the only benefits I see of going with the Z06 s/c are stock like fitment and price. Warranty situation is obviously no in that equation. If price difference is negligible I'd definitely pick one of the 'packages' with some warranty at the very least.

I could do that, but I already have a brand new OEM supercharger and most of the bits to install it. Unless the aftermarket kit actually changes the internals, it's not going to be much of a difference is it? The warranty would be nice. I got a damn good price for the unit, though once I add in some of the other parts it might come up a bit in price.

Essentially, anything the Procharger changed as part of the kit on the car from the LT4 supercharger, I now have.

Then it sounds like you're set down that route. Bonus if you got it for a song. Look at the list above (it's by no means comprehensive), there are bits and pieces missing for sure. Run it by a shop that's done this before, they should know what to expect. And don't forget fuel fuel fuel, don't run crappy boost a pump contraptions (speaking from much experience) they fail often and with usually disastrous consequences. I think you can probably use the same pump as the new CTS-V as well as a Z06 or get a custom fuel solution.

I could do that, but I already have a brand new OEM supercharger and most of the bits to install it. Unless the aftermarket kit actually changes the internals, it's not going to be much of a difference is it? The warranty would be nice. I got a damn good price for the unit, though once I add in some of the other parts it might come up a bit in price.

Frankly it's a matter of what you are comfortable with and doing. If you got that good of a deal and know what you are doing..sure why not go factory. Just remember if you are taking it to a shop who is not involved in installing their own supercharging kits be wary of them doing the complete job and knowing the mapping etc. Being a "prototype" for a shop is sometimes nerve wracking.
Rick is rolling out with pretty much Z06 HP with his conversion.

Did you get the heat exchangers and manifolds as well? (you will likely need a new hood too so grab that if you can)

I think it is a very doable project but these little bit can add up quick.

Interesting topic as I've actually never heard of anyone installing a factory Z06 supercharger on the LT1.

Steve has boosted a lot of vehicles and I've only heard good things from those he's worked with. I trust him to do good work, all of his personal vehicles have been kitted. Now I just have to figure out if I have any warranty work I need done and whether to wait another year to boost the car...

Ha! Trust me to need $5000 in parts to get something to work after getting such a good deal on the supercharger. Man... I hope I don't need a new hood... that would suck.

Steve has boosted a lot of vehicles and I've only heard good things from those he's worked with. I trust him to do good work, all of his personal vehicles have been kitted. Now I just have to figure out if I have any warranty work I need done and whether to wait another year to boost the car...

Sounds like you're all set then. I missed the part where you had a reputable technician in a good experienced shop already selected.

There will a large audience here excited to follow along with you on this.

Will it be done by MITM? And where are you meeting us coming through? :Biggrin:

I'm by no means a mechanic, but from what I know about superchargers, there is quite a bit of internals that have to be swapped and / or adjusted to make the engine work correctly, including compression. The LT4 is a different engine from the LT1 and has been made specifically for that super charger. In my humble opinion, buying the correct kit for the LT1 would be the prudent way to go. Maybe sell the super charger you have to someone with a Z06 looking for another super charger. An lot of work and parts to be changed. If you have the time and knowledge, best of luck. Just my 2 cents.

It's a little more involved but it is 'bolt on' based on what I've witnessed.

Here's what you'll need (I know a guy):

Z06 balancer
Z06 tensioners

LT4 S/C
LT4 Heat Exchanger, Water pump and Reservoir
LT1 to LT4 adapter plates

Tuning
Z06 intake
New plugs
New MAP sensor
New harness for new MAP sensor
new serpentine belt
New relays wiring for i/c pump
Modified valley plate

And last but not least you will run out of fuel so you will need Z06 injectors and a Z06 pump.

And if you want to reduce risk of spinning a bearing or something you will want a bigger pulley to reduce boost a bit.

There are of course differences between the LT1 and LT4 as per above post mostly around making it more resilient to boost carnage so your mileage will vary.

that is what I was told when a buddy tried to sell me one in spruce grove 2 years ago and he was a mechanic and now a surgeon Jeff

same occupation just the motor is always running when you work on the car

Ha! Trust me to need $5000 in parts to get something to work after getting such a good deal on the supercharger. Man... I hope I don't need a new hood... that would suck.

Well at least you got the 2017 version of the supercharger. The heat sink problem is solved on this system with the larger intercooler and a few other tweaks.

Yes the hood will have to be changed. The heat extractor vents will not line up so the duct will have to modded or changed out to the Z06 version. The Z06 hood is considerably taller to accommodate the intercooler brick. Even bigger lift on the 17 and 18 with the larger brick.

upload_2018-2-5_8-58-15.png

upload_2018-2-5_9-0-32.png

post the answer up I thought a guy in the USA said it would clear but no track time as not enough airflow it was tight but not rubbing, let us know Jeff mmmmmmmmmm davenport

As you can see I'm sitting with time on my hands this morning...

Check these out. You may be ok with the hood. (He has the 15/16 brick in) Lot of nonsense but give some information on what's required for the swap. Starts at 5:38 with Matts conversion.

Here is a series showing the parts involved and installation. (well some of it)
The guy is a bit casual and clearly has no clue but it does show the parts which you can price out and main steps in the instal. If nothing else you should get a good laugh. His shop is a nightmare..

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I'm by no means a mechanic and from what I saw yesterday, I'd strongly recommend jobbing the install out. There's boxes of parts, full of who knows what. Nik, I think you probably nailed it. The aftermarket SC that I went with requires no hood modifications. That sold me right there.
One thing you may want to consider is exhaust. For that true ZO6 experience your stock system will need to be changed.
My Z51 stock exhaust is coming out, headers, and x pipe is going in for that extra 50 hp for 670 total.
I'm laying out about 18k for everything and most of that is labour.
Get yourself a quote and if it's below 18 k it's good deal going with the OEM SC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.