Aug 1, 2013
alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2022 rapid blue
Province
AB
looking at a Z 06 at some point but just hard to know if there is much power difference,

rode in Derek’s and it was nice but since it was a manual and we were just going for a short cruise it was not a case of wot

Is there much actual difference when in an automatic and spirited driving?

Jeff

Reactions: ddgermann
looking at a Z 06 at some point but just hard to know if there is much power difference,

rode in Derek’s and it was nice but since it was a manual and we were just going for a short cruise it was not a case of wot

Jeff

lol...Naw.... Jeff... that extra 40% increase in ponies is barely noticeable... until you take your mind off your driving and find yourself facing a different direction... and not always a good direction... and the full second faster in the 0 to 100... (if you're able to keep it from going sideways when it shifts) isn't a lot either...

Ok... I am just kidding with you Jeff. I haven't driven the Z06 Vette but I have driven the ZL1 Camaro... yup. It's a noticeable difference.... You will love it.... But keep the "nannies" turned on....

Jeff
I’ve scared myself silly in my car at the top of 3rd gear and into most of fourth. 505 hamsters and a little extra is more than enough for my spirited driving. And Derek has another 150 or so more than mine so,do the math on that. I’ve yet to shut off anything in the electronics on the street and don’t intend to anytime soon. In traction control I trust !!

But unlike you Jeff,I’ve never driven an A8 with paddles so I have similar questions.

Jeff, why don' you go all the way and pick up the ZR1. With 755hp your bound to find a difference.
I' trying to decide if I'll super charge my Z51 or pick up a ZR1.
interesting question

off to have supper the wifey is cooking she just paged me

wait until you see my next question it is a dosey

Jeff
I’ve scared myself silly in my car at the top of 3rd gear and into most of fourth. 505 hamsters and a little extra is more than enough for my spirited driving. And Derek has another 150 or so more than mine so,do the math on that. I’ve yet to shut off anything in the electronics on the street and don’t intend to anytime soon. In traction control I trust !!

But unlike you Jeff,I’ve never driven an A8 with paddles so I have similar questions.

glad to see I am not the only one thinking about this

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff you and I had a good little ride but yes you are correct... we didn't go all in on on the lower 3 gears. Next time....we can put some plastic on the seat and you drive. I will wait with Ziggy, Mike and the boys. :Biggrin:
I did drive an 18 A8 Stingray with the paddles for a week last year and get what you are saying in the difference with the M vs A. It was quick but I didn't work the car as it was a courtesy loaner from the dealer. But for sure the go pedal went down further than the Z06 for a spirited acceleration in the higher gears.

My 13 Z06 was a very quick car MIke. I understand exactly what you say. The torque from that N/A 7L in 3rd and 4th is fantastic. It really pulls hard and the car is on the edge. I never took the nannies off either as I'm pretty sure judging by the 2 335mm black strips being left behind it would be a very bad idea. The traction control on the C6 Z06 is really good and I believe closer to the edge than the C7 Z06.... Judging by what's left behind pulling up through the gears. :thumbs:

Jeff, why don' you go all the way and pick up the ZR1. With 755hp your bound to find a difference.
I' trying to decide if I'll super charge my Z51 or pick up a ZR1.

You could sure put a big a** supercharger on the Z51 for the price difference Rick. Your car can be reliably brought up to the 700+ HP range with no real stretch in drivability.

Either way your going to be taking Jeff for a ride...you know that right. :D

Last edited:
The best way to describe the driving of a Z06, and I have many times before, is 'instant on'. Don't take this for granted. It is instant power which is not common whatsoever and there are plenty of videos that show the danger on YouTube. You have new drivers, guys crashing on test drives and even car lots driving through their front windows or rolling it when they take the car for tint. You also have valets causing damage. It is ALOT of power if you aren't used to that.

When I first got mine I let a relative take it for a cruise and then he tried launch control. This is a car guy who builds high performance cars and has raced street and track. The first time he used launch control, he said "Holy F$%^!" He couldn't believe it and it caught him off guard. I am going to go out there and state that, if you haven't driven a C7 Z06, it is hard to imagine. Where people have become so used to mashing the peddle to get up to speed, that puts you in a dangerous situation in a Z06 as sometimes traction control just can't keep up with that spin.

I even remember posts from a guy or two on another forum stating that they sold the car because they felt it was just too much.

Last but not least, I have an A8 and got it because I believed having a manual would just be too much in a 650HP car. Manual lovers will argue up and down over this ... but it just is... There is just too much going on when you are negotiating say... Snake Run 421 mountains at a healthy speed or any enthusiast road really. Manual is great when you are going in a straight line for a number but that's about it in this car. We even have a guy here in Niagara who got rid of his manual Z06 for an auto...and is happy as can be. Hope this helps...

I think Rick and Derek has the right thought of just adding the supercharger to a Z51 ... or maybe even any Ray - save the $$$.
Handling would be different when in turns for Z51 vs Z06 (so I am told).
If just to go in a straight line .... YYSSW .... go ahead with the Z06.
I have to say that the use of A8 paddles might be for the Owner's use only (unless dialed in a safe mode)(or unless your car doesn't matter) ...
I was blessed, while in my passenger-lap, having an instructor introduce me to the A8 paddles at Spring Mountain ...
and then I gave them a go during my next piloting session as there was one important factor ... I was not piloting my own Z51.
If dialed, the computer doesn't let you screw-up shifting and I didn't think to ask/try to find if a there was another particular driving mode to disengage that.
... and now I am back in my own Z51 ... only US$1k poorer (when comparing to add-on mods) and with a satisfaction of "been there done it".

Last edited:

Jeff

Jeff, I suggest you start stocking up on the depends now, you are going to need them. :Woohoo:

Lookout Derek, I foresee some friendly competition in the future. :Pistolsmiley:

I think Rick and Derek has the right thought of just adding the supercharger to a Z51 ... or maybe even any Ray - save the $$$.
Handling would be different when in turns for Z51 vs Z06 (so I am told).
If just to go in a straight line .... YYSSW .... go ahead with the Z06.
I have to say that the use of A8 paddles might be for the Owner's use only (unless dialed in a safe mode)(or unless your car doesn't matter) ...
I was blessed, while in my passenger-lap, having an instructor introduce me to the A8 paddles at Spring Mountain ...
and then I gave them a go during my next piloting session as there was one important factor ... I was not piloting my own Z51.
If dialed, the computer doesn't let you screw-up shifting and I didn't think to ask/try to find if a there was another particular driving mode to disengage that.
... and now I am back in my own Z51 ... only US$1k poorer (when comparing to add-on mods) and with a satisfaction of "been there done it".

I love my corvette, but it lacks the get up and go that my CTS - V had.
The numbers are very close but off the line the caddy was faster.
560 hp vs 460hp.
Although I really have no need to go faster I would like more power hence the super charger. I have to find out if I add one will it void my warrant.

560 hp vs 460hp.
Although I really have no need to go faster I would like more power hence the super charger. I have to find out if I add one will it void my warrant.
... it's trade-in or super charger add-on when the warranty expires if for one of "mine" (and likely not hers?) ... I will be enjoying what I have ...
I understand the CTS-V as the ATS-V was our other consideration (4 seats) ...
but there's a reason why we did not jump off that cliff to Cadillac (yet) ... my Mom has one I can ask to use.

Last edited:
... it's trade-in or super charger add-on when the warranty expires for one of "mine" (likely not hers?) ... I will be enjoying what I have until then.
I understand the CTS-V as the ATS-V was our other consideration (4 seats) ... but there's a reason why we did not jump off that cliff to Cadillac (yet)

I was conidering a trade in too but I like my car and really don't want to get rid of it. Kathy would probably say no anyway so it will be much easier to add on. My caddy was a nice car... sporty but still real comfortable and the 4 doors came in real handy.

560 hp vs 460hp.

Tha callaway setup done at Sherwood Park chev does not void your warranty Rick.
I checked into it with the 17.

That CALLAWAY performance work is done at the CALLAWAY shop, not the dealer.
CALLAWAY is an approved GM shop.
Sherwood Park Chev or any other dealer is not approved for that work.
They can repair it but probably not install it.
Derek..did the dealer say they can do warranty approved installs for super chargers?

Graham

Graham they have Callaway techs at Sherwood Park and install them there. I met one the techs when they were trying to sell
the setup on my new car. There was another one just like mine with an A8 getting a Calloway kit installed while I was there.

So they do them in-house there. No need to transport the car.

Derek

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.