wilyvet

Casual User
Dec 16, 2014
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
TFX International delivered my new Z06/Z07 a few days ago. For those interested in buying a Z06, some impressions I didn't get from reading the magazine road tests: driving in "Tour" mode only so far, the seat and ride are surprisingly comfortable (I should have flown to Toronto and driven it back to Edmonton); the steering is very light and lacks feel (maybe that changes in Sport or Track modes); compared to my 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, the gear shifter is notchy and vague (sometimes difficult to tell what gear you've selected without looking at the dash display). The Z06's radio is audible, unlike the Spyder's. The Z06 is everywhere quieter than the Spyder, but at highway speeds the tire noise is intrusive - that might be solved by mounting tires other than the Michelin SC2s that come with the Z07 package.
Despite being forced to stay below 4000 rpm for break-in, there is a source of entertainment, even in Tour mode. While driving along the quiet paved two lane near our acreage, I noticed a neighbour's black cat at the side of the road ahead (happy season for cats - fledgling birds out of the nests, on the ground before learning to fly) . Slowing, I then accelerated past the cat to time the 3rd gear 3000 rpm bark of the muffler bypass ... jerked the slack out of the cat. What could be more fun than that?

You will find the steering tightens up somewhat when you hit Sport, but considerably in Track. I thoroughly enjoy the stereo but it took a bit of moving the bass and treble to wake it out of its sleep. It is almost like they have it set in a preset mode that is shut off once you try to adjust yourself. Only then does the sound seem to come alive....and does it. If you are a Pink Floyd fan, you will know what I am speaking of but I also have somewhat of a more modern taste and might recommend Hawthorne heights Niki FM..or even some old Genesis or ELO. I don't hear any road noise...music's too loud!

Oh and if you are a techy like I, you will love all the nooks and crannies of this car. From mirror, wheel and seat memory that moves into position when you seat yourself, and then goes back to factory for your exit, to reverse mirrors that lower to allow you to see the curb, to countless other settings you can make, this car is very well laid out.

Now hit the Perimeter and wake her up will ya!

TFX International delivered my new Z06/Z07 a few days ago. For those interested in buying a Z06, some impressions I didn't get from reading the magazine road tests: driving in "Tour" mode only so far, the seat and ride are surprisingly comfortable (I should have flown to Toronto and driven it back to Edmonton); the steering is very light and lacks feel (maybe that changes in Sport or Track modes); compared to my 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, the gear shifter is notchy and vague (sometimes difficult to tell what gear you've selected without looking at the dash display). The Z06's radio is audible, unlike the Spyder's. The Z06 is everywhere quieter than the Spyder, but at highway speeds the tire noise is intrusive - that might be solved by mounting tires other than the Michelin SC2s that come with the Z07 package.
Despite being forced to stay below 4000 rpm for break-in, there is a source of entertainment, even in Tour mode. While driving along the quiet paved two lane near our acreage, I noticed a neighbour's black cat at the side of the road ahead (happy season for cats - fledgling birds out of the nests, on the ground before learning to fly) . Slowing, I then accelerated past the cat to time the 3rd gear 3000 rpm bark of the muffler bypass ... jerked the slack out of the cat. What could be more fun than that?

If you like Pink Floyd, the stereo might really like the Money song.

I find older tunes such as Floyd...especially 'The Final Cut', Genesis...Carpet Crawlers, Squonk, I know What I like...Moody Blues...Nights in White Satin are as great to here as Hawthorne Heights..Nicki FM, Coldplay The Scientist.....sorry went off in a tagent...wife gets worried when I sit in the car listening for hours on end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.