Power User
Jun 21, 2011
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1970 & 2015 Stingray
Province
AB
Yesterday after taking a nice leisurely drive out in the country for about 4 hours with my mom, I came home, washed and detailed my 15 before putting it away for the day. Upon going to pull it into the garage, I was tired and totally forgot to tuck in the passenger side mirror, dumb ass! :Banghead:

This is what happened. :(

20170904_175529.jpg

Last edited:
I took it first thing this morning upon the recommendation of Ken and Randy to Car Pretty. They were able to get me in immediately for such a small job. With hot steaming water, the old film loosened up easily and was removed. Upon their tech cleaning the remainder of adhesive off and inspection of the mirror, there was absolutely no damage to the paint whatsoever. New Xpel Ultimate PPF was applied and I was ready to go within an hour. They allowed me to watch the process and answered all of my questions. Thank you Car Pretty, I will be back, but hopefully not very soon. Thank goodness for the Xpel film protection, Xpel saved the day! :thumbs:

20170905_113327_1.jpg

Looks good Z. As do those black mirrors. Wish mine had black mirrors.

Thanks Mike, but they are not black, they are carbon flash, as is the rest of trim, stripes and side skirts. When the bright sun hits it, the color pops, it shows multicolor metallic sparkles. In the shade or evening it appears black. The only black items are the a pillers, exhaust bezel and wheels. Pictures do not seem to catch the color effect.

Last edited:
Looking at the extent of Xpel on both my C7s that was done by two different sources, I don't think Xpel would be saving me.
It stops right along the area that was blemished in your mishap. It appears I might not have had the same happy ending.
On my list now is to check out your mirrors next time and note the extent of Xpel that you have ... it's hard to see the
Xpel break-lines on your photos ... which is an awesome thing to (not) see!

I took it first thing this morning upon the recommendation of Ken and Randy to Car Pretty. They were able to get me in immediately for such a small job. With hot steaming water, the old film loosened up easily and was removed. Upon their tech cleaning the remainder of adhesive off and inspection of the mirror, there was absolutely no damage to the paint whatsoever. New Xpel Ultimate PPF was applied and I was ready to go within an hour. They allowed me to watch the process and answered all of my questions. Thank you Car Pretty, I will be back, but hopefully not very soon. Thank goodness for the Xpel film protection, Xpel saved the day! :thumbs:

View attachment 11281

Glad to hear all turned out good Zig...:thumbs:

Reactions: turbozig
I went the extra mile with the Xpel on my new Z. Beyond the standard highway package ... the mirrors, rockers / boards and full coverage of the entire back sides past the doors including the full back quarter panels.
And a few other places on the horizontal that are at risk of scratching.
Actually I am still finding the stuff in places I didn't expect. The extra cost was quite reasonable and the guy who put it on was really confident as to where it should go. So I told him to go at at it.
So far really happy with the results. The edges are virtually invisible. :)

Looking at the extent of Xpel on both my C7s that was done by two different sources, I don't think Xpel would be saving me.
It stops right along the area that was blemished in your mishap. It appears I might not have had the same happy ending.
On my list now is to check out your mirrors next time and note the extent of Xpel that you have ... it's hard to see the
Xpel break-lines on your photos ... which is an awesome thing to (not) see!

My mirrors are completely wrapped except for the bottoms.

Derek, what am I looking at in the first and second picture? Is the car damaged?

No Murray its just reflections and a tad of dust. The car was washed 12 minutes before I took the pictures....so being black and outside it was filthy.
I laugh now as I posted off my phone and now on the PC with the sun directly on the car the lines are clearly visible. Especially the subtle and unusual ones where I know the locations.
Look closely around the carbon fiber top cooling vent and the gas lid in the first pic..... :Banghead:

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Derek, when I looked at the two pictures I thought it had been damaged. Looks like a scratch down the fender and some red marks.

Thankfully then it is just a reflection. Some good news to start the day!!

Amazing stuff, it looked like Ziggy's mirrors were a write off but they look band new. Wow.

I used car pretty some guy wit a beard. (wit means with when used in this context) ya I speak funny

they did a great job and I wished I,would have used them to cut and polish the car before doing the spelling

they have 5 or 6 machines to cut the expel with computer programs much better than the 2 cut and piece bozos in my home town
highly recommend them

Jeff

I have had XPel Ultimate of my car since Jun 15. It is completely covered. On my trip around the US in 2015, we watched a rock spit up off of an 18 wheeler tire and heard it hit the roof. Pulled over and sure enough there was a white spot under the XPel the size of a small button. In speaking to a number of people during that trip, all conceded that the rock caused the paint underneath the XPel to crystallize and there was a ding in the paint that appeared to have white primer of crystals in that spot.

Let's add to that with another incident where I pulled the roof off at the hotel underground parking on Vancouver Island, not realizing that there was a low hanging pipe right where I swung the roof off. That left a 7" mark that was not coming off of the XPel.

Trip ended, I lifted one side of the Xpel on my roof, went around to the other side of the car and ripped the entire roof panel protection film off.... not a mark whatsoever and the roof was like new.... Happy Day.

Last but not least, if you ever go for a really good run with someone who has XPel on the front, check out the front end at the end of the run as you will see marks and dings that won't just wipe off. As XPel is self healing, you won't see them next time you meet up because both sun and water help make that XPel like new again... mark free.

That front end is 49000 km of hard driving in every condition.

IMG_7469.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.