I'm New Here
2 You're 10
Sep 3, 2010
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
87 rag top
Hi to all.

I am not a vet owner yet but looking into becoming one.

I am looking at a 1987 rag top with 106K km on it.
Test drove it last weekend and found a couple problems.

The first one is the one that bothers me the most. When driving in the city at speed limits (no goosing it) the shifts up are jerky and when down shifting coming to a stop between second and first it makes a clucking sound. I

Hi to all.

I am not a vet owner yet but looking into becoming one.

I am looking at a 1987 rag top with 106K km on it.
Test drove it last weekend and found a couple problems.

The first one is the one that bothers me the most. When driving in the city at speed limits (no goosing it) the shifts up are jerky and when down shifting coming to a stop between second and first it makes a clucking sound. I

like others have said. The price is $4 to $5000.00 to high.

If you are looking for a C4 stick to 1990 and up.

1990 had the updated dash, got rid of the bread box & Atari style gages, also added a few HP to the L98 motor.

1991 added the much quicker LT1 motor.

Check out some of the other corvette related web pages in the for sale sections.

You can find a low mileage pristine C4 for well under 10 grand.

As Manny said you can even get into a reasonable C5 for around 15 Grand.

As a previous C4 Vert owner, these are a fun car.
Take your time looking for the right car . We are approaching the time of year when you will see allot of these cars coming up for sale. The prices start to head south as we get into fall.
Don't be afraid to go to the U.S. to get the right car. They have a larger selection and lower pricing.

One thing to remember is when the top goes down the price goes up.

Good luck in your hunt.:canada:

Last edited:
Manny`s advice is very good, I would hesitate to mix friendship with purchasing a car. I happen to like the bar graph in `86, the bread box can be replaced easily. I must be looking at the wrong ads, I do not see any C5`s in that price range, unless one looks at Vette hound and the same car is listed at 40 grand and the other at 19.
Good luck with future hunt,

I would like to thank all of you for your input.

Why original idea was to start looking for a vet next fall, but my buddy had me look at this one.

I was not comfortable with this particular car at all but just wanted to get the opinion from those who know something about these cars and I

like others have said. The price is $4 to $5000.00 to high.

If you are looking for a C4 stick to 1990 and up.

1990 had the updated dash, got rid of the bread box & Atari style gages, also added a few HP to the L98 motor.

1991 added the much quicker LT1 motor.

Check out some of the other corvette related web pages in the for sale sections.

You can find a low mileage pristine C4 for well under 10 grand.

As Manny said you can even get into a reasonable C5 for around 15 Grand.

As a previous C4 Vert owner, these are a fun car.
Take your time looking for the right car . We are approaching the time of year when you will see allot of these cars coming up for sale. The prices start to head south as we get into fall.
Don't be afraid to go to the U.S. to get the right car. They have a larger selection and lower pricing.

One thing to remember is when the top goes down the price goes up.

Good luck in your hunt.:canada:

I own an 87 and personally prefer it to the 90 and later. i find the later body too rounded especially the front marker lights. I also wanted the liquid crystal dash as i find it different from everything else out there. the lt1 does have more horsepower but less foot pounds of tourque than the l98. don't buy a car for horsepower as with a small amount of money manny can give you all the horsepower u need.
i choose the 87 because i wanted an early c4 and the 87 had the engineering improvements i wanted. having said that the others are also beauty. if u can afford a c5 thou i would go that way.

I found mine using Autotrader and it was a fine price. I think people would suggest the usual Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Best advise is to take your time. Buy the car that makes you excited about it. Lots of help here if you need it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.