Casual User
Ontario You're Celebrated
Aug 21, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2011 corvette
Province
ON
What are you guys putting under tires for winter storage. They say to put rubber under tires to avoid flat spots in Spring others say inflate tires to max. Have never done either but got new tires this year and don’t want any issues come spring.

Haha! It’s that time of the year again.

Good question and the link below will help you with all the winter storage tips.

Yes most of us put the tires on something to let them sink in a bit and get them off the concrete. Flat spots? No real definitive proof it’s necessary but why not. I use thick rubber mats and others have lots of clever ideas in their garages too.

Post 61 gives you a pretty thorough run down on long term storage.
The big variable in winter storage is heated or unheated garage vs your locations general ambient humidity.

Enjoy

Reactions: LE BARON
I was in the tire business. Just stack them flat on top of each other not standing up whether mounted on rims or not. Place in plastic tire bags if possible, or if on concrete place a large cardboard sheet under tires. No need to over inflate. Just inflate to proper amount when you re-install. That's it. Not rocket science or need for over thinking.

I was in the tire business. Just stack them flat on top of each other not standing up whether mounted on rims or not. Place in plastic tire bags if possible, or if on concrete place a large cardboard sheet under tires. No need to over inflate. Just inflate to proper amount when you re-install. That's it. Not rocket science or need for over thinking.

Good information. But what if they are on the car like he indicated?

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
Sorry. Misunderstood question as title said winter tire storage not winter car storage... (tire question).
Anyway, no need to do anything extra.
You could over inflate to 40-50psi or so if you wish to stop flat spotting (max psi is stamped on sidewall), or place on tire pads that are sold by companies such as Race Ramps.
Again no need to do anything unless you want to. Just make sure to check and inflate to Chev specs in the spring.

This is what I did with mine last year. Bought 4 of those 2x2 foot wood floor panel things (can’t remember proper term). Bought an 8x2 piece of foam insulation. Cut 2 foot pieces,lag bolted them to the wood and presto......all said I believe it was just under $50.00

With 4 pieces of 1.5 foot X 1/2” plywood to act as a ramps,My car sat a couple of inches off the concrete. I didn’t overfill my tires at all. I just checked the pressure on the first of each month over the winter. My right rear lost a few lbs between each check and I topped it off twice.

For poops and giggles,I noted the corresponding tires to see how much they settled into the foam.

D9B0C9FE-18DE-4557-9D05-663A686CD808.jpeg
4E651484-0BCE-4350-9A15-B2B165FCC520.jpeg
EB208B2B-5E9C-435B-9181-3148E25C8EFF.jpeg

I have stored my cars on cement for decades with no flat spotting problems. A non issue for me.

Yes exactly.. it’s a piece of mind thing. Putting the car away with something cheap and cushy under these expensive tires gives me a little bit of reassurance I’ve done what I can do to protect them in an unheated garage.
Is your garage heated Keith?

Michelin site says to keep upright, not laid flat and stacked one on the other.
If they are on the car well that part is solved. I did buy new tires last winter and store them upright awaiting installation.
Personally I check the air pressure to keep as recommended on the plaque.
Bought a big, and heavy, mat, 3/4" thick, that farmers use for their cows and cut out four approx. 2' X 2' squares that I drive up on to when hibernating. So the tires are not on the concrete and there is some "give" to the rubber mat. Check the tire pressure a couple of times during the winter. Never had a problem, three winters, and don't really anticipate any as the storage facility, my basement, is heated.

Wrong. Ever been to an actual tire warehouse? They're stored flat on pallets.
Michelin site says to keep upright, not laid flat and stacked one on the other.
If they are on the car well that part is solved. I did buy new tires last winter and store them upright awaiting installation.
Personally I check the air pressure to keep as recommended on the plaque.
Bought a big, and heavy, mat, 3/4" thick, that farmers use for their cows and cut out four approx. 2' X 2' squares that I drive up on to when hibernating. So the tires are not on the concrete and there is some "give" to the rubber mat. Check the tire pressure a couple of times during the winter. Never had a problem, three winters, and don't really anticipate any as the storage facility, my basement, is heated.

• Wow
Reactions: ddgermann
Wrong. Ever been to an actual tire warehouse? They're stored flat on pallets.
That is what the manufacturer says.
The way they are stored could be for convenience as well. Does not necessarily make it right.
See the pictogram on the Michelin website.

I am just going by what Michelin says. I figure they know a hell of a lot more than I do about tires.

Not trying to pick a fight. Been to Michelin/Firestone warehouses, many others and was GM at a large one. All tires (not mounted) are stored flat. Check out your local Costco even. Stored flat on bare concrete. Just sayen.

I store winter and all-season tire sets flat on wheels out of the sun. I rotate these sets twice per year (sometime in the Spring and sometime in the Fall) ... Keeping It Simple & Stupid (KISS)
My boat trailer tires stay on the trailer and look like hell while stored in direct sunlight but they are hanging in there quite well along with a good cleaning once in a while.

Corvette Rubber stored on the cars inside on plywood squares similar to @MikeysZ06 above (between them and the concrete) and not moved at all when below freezing.
The fourth year coming up in a few months and so far so good. Keeping it as Simple & Stupid as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.