Music

Ontario
Nov 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2003 C5 Convertible
Province
ON
For those of you who drive your vettes in the winter, I would like to hear about the size & compound of tires you run front and rear. I have tried several combinations over the years including studded on the front, but have settled on silica tires slightly narrower than OEM with a slightly higher aspect ratio. With a properly functioning TCS, the car handles quite well on both asphalt and gravel.

Reactions: nascar03
Studs on the rear tear up the road and wear down too fast. Front studs were decent for braking on ice although provided a little too much oversteer, so I have moved over to a deep tread silica snow tire that provides the proper front/rear weight distribution and lass hassles.

With a car that throws no error codes and has a perfectly functioning EBCM, studs aren`t necessary.

I use Michelin Alpin PA4's all around starting in mid-November. They provide excellent traction in snow and slush while being good on ice. I swap the standard 19F/20R wheels to 18/19 for winter use to provide a higher profile and a bit more cushioning on the inevitable potholes. They are a straight swap on a Stingray but require 1.25" spacers on the GS/Z06 to clear the calipers. As a bonus, the Alpin PA4's are quieter on the highway than the run flat summer Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Once my summer tires are done, I intend to replace with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season for a much more practical summer street tire and I can push them into mid-December before swapping out for the Alpin's. The all seasons are strongly recommended by the instructor team at the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School.

The Michelin Pilot Alpins and Toyo Observes are probably the best and most expensive snow tires available.

I have elected to keep costs down by using lower cost brands that are probably not available in your width, but can be found in 225/50 and 255/45 to fit my C5 OE wheels.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread