SockGuy

Casual User
Jun 5, 2018
Brussels Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2018 GS Rag Top 3LT
Getting ready for 3rd winter storage. Have stored once with fuel tank full, once at 1/4 tank, both times with stabilizer.
I know there have been discussions on this in the past but can’t find now.
What is the proper way?

I have not run into a message/thread yet that has someone in the shop
in the spring with a huge repair bill as a result of a "bad storage" diagnosis.
If there is one here on CCF , perhaps someone can post a link to it.

The only thing I don't play around with is that the battery stays charged/maintained
as a frozen/dead battery pretty much means a new one. The fuel/stabilizer
is done by many regardless of the fuel level. I doubt you will have an issue
either way. I am just under 7/8ths myself unless I can get another run in.

My added thing (LOL) is that I park one C7 nose away from the garage door and
the nose of the other towards the garage door ... but this would be for the thread
called "how should you store two corvettes" with a long-winded meaningless
OCD (obsessive corvette disorder) explanation ... LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cariboocreek
I havent seen any bulletins by GM regarding this. If it was an issue, and as most of our cars have remaining warranty or extended warranty, that cost the mothership money then GM would have come out with something.

Normally I fill mine up, but forgot to stop at the gas station on the last drive, so she is going to sleep with a half tank. Its in a heated garage so condensation is minimal.

1/4 or less or expensive repairs should the __________ fuel sensor or some such part corrodes and screws up, you need to drop the tanks to fix I think

I discussed this a couple of years ago and my memory fades

1/4 tank or 1800 bucks to fix your choice

Mine gets stored with 1/2 tank and Stabil added to the tank. Over the past few years, I have stored Porsche 911, Jaguar XK, 68 Fastback, Baby Thunderbird all with 1/2 tank of gas with Stabil added to the fuel. I do run the engine for abt 5 mins to let the Stabil work its way into the lines..... not sure if this is good or bad but so far no issues have surfaced with any of the above makes.

Last edited:
1/4 or less or expensive repairs should the __________ fuel sensor or some such part corrodes and screws up, you need to drop the tanks to fix I think
I discussed this a couple of years ago and my memory fades
1/4 tank or 1800 bucks to fix your choice

I remember that thread response from a while back too ...
but nobody supported the claim back then for knowing that
more than one person experienced the repair and that is was
due to a winter storage issue.
Fortunately nobody I know has had the problem on CCF (I think / k.o.w.)

Last edited:
Quick CCF poll. Who has this happened too?
in the USA about 2 per dealership that sells over 5 units a year, had the stat from 3 years ago cannot find it now

hope it happens to you then you then you can relate the 1800 beans you shell out for not taking the time to only have 1/4 tank in,your car

question for you oh wise one——— who is it hurting to do this. simple answer no one

who benefits———everyone who does this

bingo. winner winner chicken dinner

just like the folks who say my car in a auto does not have the shudder. burying your head in the snow just freezes the brain

When the C5 first came out there was an issue with faulty fuel level readings. I experienced it once myself on the way back from a Bowling Green trip with my son. Fuel gauge went from 1/2 to zero in the middle of Montana. Found fuel but it only took half a tank and readings returned to normal again. Cheap cure was to run a can of "Techron" through every month or so and the problem seemed to go away without changing the fuel sender. It was also a very big job in the C5.

in the USA about 2 per dealership that sells over 5 units a year, had the stat from 3 years ago cannot find it now

hope it happens to you then you then you can relate the 1800 beans you shell out for not taking the time to only have 1/4 tank in,your car

question for you oh wise one——— who is it hurting to do this. simple answer no one

who benefits———everyone who does this

bingo. winner winner chicken dinner

just like the folks who say my car in a auto does not have the shudder. burying your head in the snow just freezes the brain
Why do you care what I do? You do your thing, I will do mine. I hope yours works out and costs you nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
This is the 7th winter I'm storing my C7. Always with a fresh full tank of gas, octane 94 and stabilizer. I also let the engine run for about 5 minutes to distribute the stabilizer. Never had an issue starting in the spring. Oil change and a battery tender hooked up and asleep it goes.

I just spoke with the service manager of a GM dealership that sells and services lots of Corvettes, when there for my first free C8 oil/filter change today. He also spoke with 2 senior technicians of 25+ years. They've NEVER had any vehicles needing gas tank repairs for sulphur contaminated fuel level sensors. They typically suggest a full gas tank when parking a vehicle for the Winter, with stabilizer mixed in with it. So in other words, they don't accept the theory of storing a vehicle with a quarter tank of gas. Having said that, if your garage is heated they're not even worried about a less than full tank experiencing condensation. If the car is in the cold or subject to cold/hot fluctuations, then condensation can occur. Finally, they're more worried about "bad winter gas" which is why they recommend the stabilizer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.