Casual User
Sep 18, 2017
Amherstview
VetteCoins
Car
2024 Corvette
Province
ON
Going to put my car in storage this winter. Had it home last year in my heated garage and did some work on it over the winter, but this year want my garage back. Where I am taking it the guy wants the battery unhooked for the winter. Will this cause problems in the spring when I hook it back up and go to start it?

Thanks
Rick

Always take my battery out Rixvette. just don't close the hood completely as then you will have to go through the trunk and door. I chrge the battery the day before I go to pick the car up and it fires right up no issues. you will have to re-index the windows and program the radio but that's about it this also saves the battery from ding a deep discharge that I elieve hurts it. MINE IS GOING TO SLEEP SOON :(

Reactions: Shayne and Cruzin
Hi RIX
You are better with the battery removed than leaving it in.
The battery will probably be no good if left connected in the car for more than 3 weeks of no-use.
Remove it and bring it home, and put it in a non freezing environment on a piece of plywood(vs direct concrete).
Spring start-up may have a few computer brain issues. But that will sort itself out after a couple of short runs.
Check elsewhere in this forum for other storage hints, second set of tires, blocks, gas stabilizer, dryer sheets, dehumidifier/ desicant, etc.
Welcome to the Forum and to Corvetting.

Graham

Last edited:
Good advice above. Yes if you can remove the battery and store it fully charged at home. Prior to the spring start up give it a boost charge and you should be good to go. You may have found out already these cars are very sensitive to low battery voltage, they drain the battery as the car just sits. Battery Tender has a slick hook up for the C6 that is magnetic and mounts near your rear license plate. When the car is not in use the tender will keep the voltage stable. If you forget about the plug no problem it will just pop off.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi RIX
You are better with the battery removed than leaving it in.
The battery will probably be no good if left connected in the car for more than 3 weeks of no-use.
Remove it and bring it home, and put it in a non freezing environment on a piece of plywood(vs direct concrete).
Spring start-up may have a few computer brain issues. But that will sort itself out after a couple of short runs.
Check elsewhere in this forum for other storage hints, second set of tires, blocks, gas stabilizer, dryer sheets, dehumidifier/ desiccant, etc.
Welcome to the Forum and to Corvetting.

Graham

Agreed Rix. Get your car all fuel stabilized etc and pull the battery cover the car. In the spring plan on keying your way in through the back and pull the drivers door release cable on the left side. Your C6 manual has all this clearly explained. The steps for installing your battery and reindexing the windows etc is also easy and in your manual.
Put the battery on your tender for the winter as it won't damage it and it will be fresh as rain come spring. Yes as above.... keep it off the concrete directly.
I always park on 1" thick rubber mats as well... no idea if that's required but it makes me feel better. And the descant and dryer sheets in the car are a very good thing to do also.
As my car sits in a quiet garage with no traffic in and out, I put Irish Spring bars under the hood, on the wheels and around the car on the deck (floor) too. Mice can't stand the smell of it. So far never had a mouse get to a corvette.

That's basically my routine. But I get a fresh oil change and leave my car plugged in to the tender as I'm fortunate to have a place that allows it.

There is 1000 threads on this subject on multiple forums if you want to dig deeper. We all have our little things that suit us but the basics are in all of them.

Derek

Pretty much covered all in the previous posts Rix.... Only thing I can add is if you suspect a mouse issue, stuff some steel wool in the tail pipes. Keeps them from building a nest in your mufflers.... Oh... and sorry about this Derek but I put a bar of Irish Spring in my outhouse here on the farm about a year ago... to date they have eaten more than half the bar....lol... no shite.... true story....

Pretty much covered all in the previous posts Rix.... Only thing I can add is if you suspect a mouse issue, stuff some steel wool in the tail pipes. Keeps them from building a nest in your mufflers.... Oh... and sorry about this Derek but I put a bar of Irish Spring in my outhouse here on the farm about a year ago... to date they have eaten more than half the bar....lol... no shite.... true story....

Haha Eric no *hit!? Those are some sophisticated mice on your farm. Mine are city mice. Think they prefer Dove.

So far the life hack with the Irish spring is working for me... but I'm now shook in confidence. May have to chuck out a few moth balls as well.

"Manly yes, but I like it too".... says the mouse

Great advice guys!! Thanks for the responses. I will definitely take the battery out and keep it in the heated garage this winter. I will leave the hood unlatched so I can get in once I put the battery back in. Sucks that we are talking about storage again..... seems like summer never really arrived this year!!

Rick

All good advice, but unfortunately in my old 1990 ZR-1 GM decided (because of lack of space I assume) placed my speed control over the battery. Instead of removing it and putting back in the spring I just attach Battery Tender to it each each winter and generally in May sometime unhook and start right up. Happy motoring for a little while yet guys.

Here is the best Battery Tender. I like it a lot because it has a scrolling readout to tell you what's going on.
Better than some of the tenders that just have "idiot lights" to say very little at all - like it's "on". It comes with
many different attachments so it can be used for many different applications.
My Corvette came with a battery "maintenance" tender and it works just fine as well.
You might find this Schumacher it on Amazon...
Schumacher Electric Digital Battery Extender
3amp Automatic 12v/6v
026666810746.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_6322.JPG

Here's mine at work right now... and in the box. it has idiot lights and that's ok for me as it tells me what I need to know. The car sits alone when I'm at work and in the dark for months through the winter so nobody to grove on the fancy readout. :Biggrin:

IMG_6421.JPG

These are expensive at the dealership and Spence's fancy one was probably cheaper. Mine came with the car as an option or I would have bought a generic one.

Like this one which are really good too. Just make sure it's a tender not a charger but you most likely know that already Mr Cruzin.
IMG_6422.JPG

Winter sucks. :Cryin:

D

Last edited:
Just put the wife's car away last night. :(........but now I have more garage space for my car! :D

I bought a CTEK battery tender almost 10 years ago for my car. I used it the first two years, then moved and have since stored the car where there is no power so the battery comes out anyway. :rofl: Now the tender stays at Taylorsk8's place as he can make use of it. Every couple of months I put the smart charger on the batteries to keep them topped up. I haven't had a problem yet but noticed late this summer that my Optima Red Top is starting to get weak so I'll have to hunt down another one over winter or start looking at other brands. I heard Optima isn't what it used to be but that's based on nothing scientific, just internet posts.

4 tennis balls (dollar store) also work well in the exhaust pipes. I always go to a local marina or RV store in the fall and buy one of the desicant tubs that they sell. Very convenient easy to use. Also a good fuel stabilizer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.