Regular
Dec 26, 2012
St. Albert, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2023 HTC
Province
AB
I found this interesting and thought it deserves sharing.

If you store your C5, C6 or C7 Corvettes for the winter or longer, you should watch this video from Paul Koerner, a GM World Class Technician who can be found wrenching on Corvettes at Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown, CT.

In his latest facebook video, Paul highlights Chevrolet engineering’s recommendations for storing C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes with only a quarter tank of gas. And to demonstrate why, Paul is showing a fuel system out of a 2014 Corvette with the emphasis on the fuel level module that includes the float, fuel sending unit, and fuel pump.
When you store your later model Corvette with a full tank of fuel, Paul shows how the sending unit sensor card contact point on the float would actually be submerged in fuel. That’s not an issue with normal driving because the sending unit float moving up and down helps keep the contacts clean. However, should it remain submerged over long storage periods, sulfur contaminants in the fuel can change the resistance of the sending card, causing issues with the fuel system.
The reason why most people were taught to fill up their tanks before a long-term storage would be to keep moisture out of the fuel tank. Paul then shows how the Corvette fuel system is a closed system designed to keep moisture out and that’s why you can store your Corvette with just a quarter tank of fuel.
Sulfur contaminated fuel level sensors due to storing Corvette with a full tank can happen and create huge expense, so do NOT STORE c5/c6/c7 with more than a 1/4 tank of fuel.
d this and thought it deserves sharing.

If you store your C5, C6 or C7 Corvettes for the winter or longer, you should watch this video from Paul Koerner, a GM World Class Technician who can be found wrenching on Corvettes at Jackson Chevrolet in Middletown, CT.

In his latest facebook video, Paul highlights Chevrolet engineering’s recommendations for storing C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes with only a quarter tank of gas. And to demonstrate why, Paul is showing a fuel system out of a 2014 Corvette with the emphasis on the fuel level module that includes the float, fuel sending unit, and fuel pump.
When you store your later model Corvette with a full tank of fuel, Paul shows how the sending unit sensor card contact point on the float would actually be submerged in fuel. That’s not an issue with normal driving because the sending unit float moving up and down helps keep the contacts clean. However, should it remain submerged over long storage periods, sulfur contaminants in the fuel can change the resistance of the sending card, causing issues with the fuel system.
The reason why most people were taught to fill up their tanks before a long-term storage would be to keep moisture out of the fuel tank. Paul then shows how the Corvette fuel system is a closed system designed to keep moisture out and that’s why you can store your Corvette with just a quarter tank of fuel.
Sulfur contaminated fuel level sensors due to storing Corvette with a full tank can happen and create huge expense, so do NOT STORE c5/c6/c7 with more than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Thanks for the tip. This has come up a few times over the years but never hurts to refresh memories and share again. :thumbs:

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann

Too late....lol....

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
I guess I will do it next year. I have always filled the tank and used the fuel Stabilizer since 2010 no problems in the spring. However new ideas come along with NEW developments so next year. The vid was very informative.

Reactions: Riley P
-13 at my place last night. 10cm of the white stuff on my driveway....would love to comply.
It will be gone by Tuesday Al... Accu weather says 16 days of +7 and greater between now and mid November... Pleanty of time to burn off a tank... And for those of us on the gravel, the dust level is lower too....lol...

• Agree
Reactions: Cariboocreek
Glad to hear a tip with some good reasoning behind it. I think I am at a 1/8th or 16th of a tank. It always stressed me out not having a full tank of fuel when storing my car, but now I can relax and know I can store it with a lower fuel level so when Spring comes, I can fill it with fresh gas and go!

Reactions: OL Yeller
My thought has been to start the spring with a fresh tank of fuel. I do add stabilizer to my 1/8 - 1/4 tank of fuel that remains.
OK. now can we drive our cars?? Is it spring yet??

I paid storage till 15 of March so that 's when spring officially starts for me. Hopefully no more snow storms after that and I don't want to pay storage till the 15th of April. As for fuel I have no idea what the previous owner put in it or if it's full or not, I'm not too worried I bought many old trucks with old gasoline in them. One of them was left in a back yard for 3 years or so. I will however burn off most of it before I refill.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Too late....lol....

Me too...🤣 But I knew about this video before I stored the car and just didn't have time to burn off the fuel before catching a flight. Think it's sitting with about half but it's stab dosed as always. Maybe next time Spence checks it he can let me know as the POS Chevy app won't connect to your car if it's not started every 10 days or so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread