Sep 29, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2021 HTC
Province
NS
Getting my C8 HTC prepped for winter storage this weekend. Just had the oil and filter changed and trans filter changed. I will be disconnecting the battery cable and pumping up tires to their max inflation pressure.

Does anyone know if the windshield washer that comes in a new C8 is for winter temps (I have never put any windshield washer in this vehicle so it still has whatever came from the factory)? I do heat the back section of my garage to 50 degrees F (where the C8 and a couple other vehicles are stored), but the heat pump does not always come back on after a power failure and we may not always be around to turn it back on.

Thanks.

Wade

Do you guys over inflate the tires for storage? I use to set them at 50 PSI on my Camaro, but don't know if it still recommended?
That's a good question. Run flats must have a stiffer sidewalls so you'd think they'd be less susceptible to memory. I can't see over inflating hurting, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience with run flats

Reactions: Maximus74
The run-flats on the C8 are my first experience with those type of tires. However based upon comments from others who park their Vettes for the Winter, I over-inflate my tires to close to their maximum and like OL Yeller, let excess air out in the Spring before driving it again. It also gives me some piece of mind since there's less chance of a slow air leak over the Winter months, bringing the tire down to where it could damage it. So unlike 12cents I don't check my tire pressure however I do periodically look at the bottoms of my tires that are exposed below the car cover, to see if they're still holding air. No problems so far but I've only gone one Winter/Spring with the C8.

I do the same routine with my "regular" cars (not run-flat tires) and have had no issues.

Thanks for all the replies, so I will continue to over-inflate my tires. Today I cleaned and waxed my C8 for storage... I will miss all the thrill it gave me every time I would go for a drive...

Attachments

• 20211107_162853.jpg
    20211107_162853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: OL Yeller
Thanks for all the replies, so I will continue to over-inflate my tires. Today I cleaned and waxed my C8 for storage... I will miss all the thrill it gave me every time I would go for a drive...
Like you, I'm still suffering from "C8 withdrawal" since I'm now driving my Mercedes "Winter-beater" and hope to soon stop looking for its non-existent heads-up display but even after that goes away, I doubt I'll get over its lack of "spirited" acceleration, steering and braking...

For me, I don`t disconnect battery, (if you do take it out and put in house, charge a few times) but use a battery maintainer instead, inflate to 35 psi and chk the engine antifreeze quality, cover and let sit (no stirring) till Apr30.

corvette sleeping.jpg

Reactions: Vetteboy21
Another question, for you guys, if possible, do you start your C8 once a month during its storage period?

I ask because on my 2017 Camaro SS, the first startup after storage was very rough idle on the engine and I had a check engine light. So I went the dealer to investigate... they said it was caused by too many misfire. Eventually the engine was running fine after 5-10 minutes. So the technician told me to start my car once a month for 15 minutes. I did so the following years and never had issues since... so I am wondering if I should do the same with my C8.

I never start my vehicles during their hibernation. Having said that, when I fired up my Mercedes this month after it sat for 7 months, it ran rough for the first 30 minutes with the "check engine" light on, and that's the first time I've had that happen with any parked vehicle. It's run AOK since and I didn't take it in for any servicing. I assume it's because the fuel wasn't right even though I put in the proper amount of fuel stabilizer and mixed it (ran the engine for 10 minutes) before parking the vehicle. There may be other issues with starting/running the vehicle once/month...such as condensation although I say that as speculation but perhaps it's something you should look into. Good luck!

Another question, for you guys, if possible, do you start your C8 once a month during its storage period?

I ask because on my 2017 Camaro SS, the first startup after storage was very rough idle on the engine and I had a check engine light. So I went the dealer to investigate... they said it was caused by too many misfire. Eventually the engine was running fine after 5-10 minutes. So the technician told me to start my car once a month for 15 minutes. I did so the following years and never had issues since... so I am wondering if I should do the same with my C8.
No, never! You must get the oil very hot to burn off the moisture. Just starting and idling doesn't get the oil hot enough.
Your Camaro idled rough because the computer had to relearn everything. Same with all new, OBD, cars.

The run-flats on the C8 are my first experience with those type of tires. However based upon comments from others who park their Vettes for the Winter, I over-inflate my tires to close to their maximum and like OL Yeller, let excess air out in the Spring before driving it again. It also gives me some piece of mind since there's less chance of a slow air leak over the Winter months, bringing the tire down to where it could damage it. So unlike 12cents I don't check my tire pressure however I do periodically look at the bottoms of my tires that are exposed below the car cover, to see if they're still holding air. No problems so far but I've only gone one Winter/Spring with the C8.

I do the same routine with my "regular" cars (not run-flat tires) and have had no issues.
Big heads up for you guys with run flats. Here's the scoop that no-one tells you. Sure you can run with zero pressure (that's what the Z stands for in the ZR - zero pressure Radial - on the side of the tire) at about 80 km/h for 80 kilometres, BUT you will be buying a new tire for around $500 each. I know better, but a couple of years back I had a nail in my tire and decided to pull it out in the driveway. Of course it is now flat, so I drove for about 3 kilometres at 30 km/h to my buddy who owns a tire shop. When Gary pulled my tire off the rim and inspected it he said I was lucky because if I had driven for another 3 kilometres he would be selling me a new tire!!!!!. Unless you can drive a VERY short distance to a tire shop when you get a flat it is best to just call a flat bed and pay the tow cost and the "fix the flat" cost which should be considerably less than the cost of replacing the tire. I have had Corvettes with run flats for 10 years and only had two instances of flat tires. I think next time I replace tires on my run flat car I will use non run flats - quite a bit cheaper and use the tow truck if necessary.
Regarding tire pressure when in storage I put just a little over standard pressure, say 35 psi over 33 psi. I have done this for every winter since 2012. My Pace Car sat for 18 months on its wheels during Covid and I never even checked the pressure until I brought it out of its hibernation. Pressure had dropped to 28 in all four tires and there was no noticeable flat spotting of the tires that I could feel when first driving.

I park my run flats on 2" thick styrofoam SM insulation mats built into a oversized 2 x 2 framework of 2 x 2" with a beveled 6" ramp on the leading edges to drive up on. No extra air and tires only lose maybe 2 psi over the winter. Have never had a flat spot in 10 years of Corvette. That is in a heated shop. Might be different if left in the cold. Never start my Vette in the winter (but will have to this winter when my 4 post lift arrives). Not sure of the moisture claims if started. Just playing it safe so will make sure my running temp is good and hot before I park it again.

I park my run flats on 2" thick styrofoam SM insulation mats built into a oversized 2 x 2 framework of 2 x 2" with a beveled 6" ramp on the leading edges to drive up on. No extra air and tires only lose maybe 2 psi over the winter. Have never had a flat spot in 10 years of Corvette. That is in a heated shop. Might be different if left in the cold. Never start my Vette in the winter (but will have to this winter when my 4 post lift arrives). Not sure of the moisture claims if started. Just playing it safe so will make sure my running temp is good and hot before I park it again.
If your taking it out, its just as well to do some snow donuts and slalom while you are in the seat...just keep it between the ditches.:snowplough::ohoh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread