YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Could not find a thread specifically dedicated Winter Fuel Stabilizer.
I do see it blended here and there in winter storage threads. So here will be a quick the quick reference thread. With comments added as we live long and prosper when preparing for our Corvette hibernating ways

I'm very good when it comes to Winterizing my Boat. Real simple ...
My cars have always been run during the Winter especially when I get a Calgary Chinook Opportunity.
This year is a real early Winter for the Corvettes and mine has been sitting since the beginning of August.
We ran the Wife's after 6000km in June-July with mine. Mine has been for it's seasonal oil change and back ... oh it was awesome :joyful:

I have Marine Fuel Stabilizer for my Boat (2015 fuel injected 250hp Marine Merc) and I see alternates everywhere without the Marine designation.
Is this just as simple as grabbing something on sale at Canadian Tire for the Corvettes?
Lots of talk about doing this and it doesn't seem to have a Brand following of any sort ...
I see Sta-bil on sale this week for about the same price as MotorMaster ... then there's Marine versus something price higher in the Sta-bil Brand ...
There is also appears to be 300 litre and 75 litre applications ... the more the better? or just best to save $2 ...
What really matters?
... confused greenhorn ... :Shrug2:

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Cruzin and jonsim
Spence I have always used Sta-Bil brand in my Corvette, lawn equipment and the Big Block Donzi. Never had an issue with it. Just remember not to got crazy on the throttle with the stabilizer in the gas or old gas in the spring with stabilizer in the tank.

One member here had some issues with putting the car on a dyno with the additive in the tank.

Thanks for the heads up on it being on sale, I need some.

I have also always used Sta-Bil for cars that park for any period of time. Just follow the ratio directions on the bottle and drive the car for a bit after adding it to mix the fuel up. I general try to add it before filling the gas tank. With the C7 you might need to use the GM supplied funnel that came with the car to add the Sta-Bil.

I use sta-bil as well. The motormaster product is the same formula. I add mine to a full tank and then drive around the yard for 5 minutes. If you add it first, then fill the tank, you probably don't have to drive around much. Take it to the gas station if you do that though. Don't put it in at home and then drive to fill up... And I wouldn't recommend exceeding the recommended mixture by much either. JMO

Another vote for Sta-Bil as well here. I have used it for the last 10 years on my 1988 Celica Convertible, lawnmower and snowblower and plan on using this year on my Vette.
Full tank add the Sta-bil and wait patiently for signs of spring

sta bil as well BUT

thought the manual and the internet says to be at 1/8 one eighth or less otherwise the fuel sensing unit can be affected over the years, not sure on the Camaro but same engine,.
will look for the source of that info but my internet skills are not great,

so be careful on filling the tank full until we check, I am not usually wrong on purpose

I use the Sta-Bil as well prior to fill up (the tank was only 1/4 empty), oil change etc, clean car, then disconnect battery it won't start up again till spring. I use enough Sta-Bil for 18 gal. no more. Every spring connect battery and good for another season.

Ok here is the truth as known to me
Paul Koerner works at a gm dealership in ct USA and is well known to the folks at GM

He has said publicly that you should keep the fuel level at less than 1/4 of a tank in order to keep the fuel. I.e. sulphuric from gumming up the fuel sensors

This is a known problem with gm although it affects less than 2% of corvettes,

Here is the real kicker

the whole rear drivetrain needs to come out or let down in order to drop the fuel tanks in order to remove the fuel sender

So now you know,

also I am going to use some gm techron in both the corvette and camaro this year, shortly in order to protect the fuel sensors,

a friend in the USA had them fix the sensor by dropping the tanks but this was under warranty and perhaps a couple of bottles of techron may have fixed it cheaper

YMMV. And not YYSSW. Just kidding my first foray into multiple alphabetical quotes

your welcome I never forget anything and this was from 2014

your humble at times servant. Jeffy

Could not find a thread specifically dedicated Winter Fuel Stabilizer.
I do see it blended here and there in winter storage threads. So here will be a quick reference.

I'm very good when it comes to Winterizing my Boat. Real simple ...
My cars have always been run during the Winter especially when I get a Calgary Chinook Opportunity.
This year is a real early Winter for the Corvettes and mine has been sitting since the beginning of August.
We ran the Wife's after 6000km in June-July with mine. Mine has been for it's seasonal oil change and back ... oh it was awesome :joyful:

I have Marine Fuel Stabilizer for my Boat (2015 fuel injected 250hp Marine Merc) and I see alternates everywhere without the Marine designation.
Is this just as simple as grabbing something on sale at Canadian Tire for the Corvettes?
Lots of talk about doing this and it doesn't seem to have a Brand following of any sort ...
I see Sta-bil on sale this week for about the same price as MotorMaster ... then there's Marine versus something price higher in the Sta-bil Brand ...
There is also appears to be 300 litre and 75 litre applications ... the more the better? or just best to save $2 ...
What really matters?
... confused greenhorn ... :Shrug2:

Spence the truth is sta-bil is for fuels that are mixed with ethanol. I am guessing you use high octane fuel that contains no ethanol or additives that creates corrosion and so forth. Here is a description of what it does and what it protects from NOTE ethanol, unless you feel a need I have never used it on anything unless it contains ethanol additives that create corrosion.

This stabilizes all types of gasoline, provides metal corrosion protection from ethanol sulfate salts in today's fuel and provides advanced metal protection for future E15fuel. The alcohol-free formula is touted to lock in fuel potency and help prevent fuel oxidation, phase separation and gum and varnish buildup.

For quite a few years now, I fill my cars with Shell premium, do an oil change and take them for a drive to get them up to full running temperature, then put them away and don't touch them until spring. I've had zero fuel related problems in literally decades. Lucky perhaps but it seems to work for me. The stabilizers won't hurt anything and are probably an extra layer of protection. Still a lot cheaper than repairs.

Reactions: YFCvii
Another vote for Sta-Bil. We use it in all fuel that will not be consumed within a month. I keep a rolling 40 litres to run the generator in case of power outage. All the power equipment gets Sta-Bil in the tank before storage but for small pieces of equipment the tank/carb is emptied by running it dry. I have had several vintage cars with original steel tanks and have not experienced any fuel issues following winter storage when using Sta-Bil. Ethanol is crap - it destroys fuel systems in vintage cars. It can't be good for new cars in storage either. If you can find a source of guaranteed 91 octane without ethanol then it is likely safe for storage.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.