Dugger

Casual User
May 4, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2019 C7
Province
ON
Good Day , quick question please , does it do harm to leave a window down a bit to allow a battery tender cord to plug in ? Just curious as I wonder if this will affect the Targa top not being tight ? Thank You , Doug...

Dugger, I try to leave my windows open just a crack but for a different reason. I find that with the window putting constant pressure on the weather seal it starts to crack it in the cold. Trying to get the window to just move a crack is another issue however!

Can't see it causing a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
O.T.
Black 03......put this on the weather stripping, and it will last, well, maybe not forever, but, a long long time.
Screenshot_20191101-131409.jpg

I haven't done mine, but if and when I keep a car long enough, I will.
There were many uses for glycerin in production. Whenever an employees' car was being built, it got 'special treatment'. Amongst a ton of extras, all the weather stripping got a nice coating of glycerin. A second application was never necessary.

Sorry for the OT.

Reactions: Cruzin
Thank you all for the reply’s. Very much appreciated. I think I will try and get away with just leaving it open a hair , enough to get the small wire from the Battery Butler and hope for the best. I am thankful for the feedback and I will look into the Glycerin ! Have a great weekend folk’s ! Doug... P.S. Fantastic site...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Good Day , quick question please , does it do harm to leave a window down a bit to allow a battery tender cord to plug in ? Just curious as I wonder if this will affect the Targa top not being tight ? Thank You , Doug...
Just in case you weren't aware, remember that the tender has to be plugged in in the rear hatch recptacle in the C7. The front recptacles aren't live unless the car is running.

Alas, I am much worse.
For over forty years I leave the windows up and just slam the door on the tender cable (no hatch).
Seems leaving the windows up would lessen the likelihood of bugs and vermin.
The seal still seem to pop back after a month in the summer.
And the passenger door latch doesn't seem to care, since it is used less frequently anyway.

Just in case you weren't aware, remember that the tender has to be plugged in in the rear hatch recptacle in the C7. The front recptacles aren't live unless the car is running.
YEP! They told me to plug in the tender when I got the car but the manual says to use the trunk adapter as it is the only one that remains "live" when the car is shut down. Have just shut the truck for the past two winters and no problem with the trunk seal. I do check tire pressure every now and then to make sure everything is up to snuff so I use that plug for the portable air compressor. This lowers the battery a very little bit so it gives the tender a little workout.

I've used Armor All for decades on the rubber seals on all our vehicles, including my 78, 98 and now C7 Vette's. Use it on all the plastic, vinyl & leather surfaces also. Swear by it...works great...do it once a year in the spring when I'm waxing the vehicles, and I've never had any leaking/cracking issues on anything.

With much reluctance I did the deed today. Here's how my cord runs......then 3 flannel bedsheets then cover.

Attachments

• 20191102_172026.jpg
    20191102_172026.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20191102_172052.jpg
    20191102_172052.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20191102_174811.jpg
    20191102_174811.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 37

I'm on Corvette #5 and always leave the driver's window down a crack for the battery tender extension cord. Drop the cord to the floor and put on the cover then plug the cord into the ceiling plug used by the garage door opener making sure that the cord can not come into contact with the opener mechanism. Also connect a bungee to the power cord to relieve any possible strain on the connection at the ceiling outlet. This way I never trip on the cord as I walk around the car during the winter. I also place the battery tender on a ten inch square of diamond plate just in case it ever over heats although it never has.

Thank You all for the great input... Sleeping for the winter. Just ran the cord in the passenger window... Much appreciated , Doug...

Run the cord thru the rear hatch.
The jury is still out on whether to fully close it, or leave it 'semi-shut' (like I do). If you leave it 'semi' closed, you may think the interior light will never go out, but it does within ~5 minutes.

Interestingly this morning, although I haven't been out in my Corvette for weeks due to the persistent crappy weather (wet an cold), I was looking for my battery tender that came with the car with the thought of preparing it for long term storage. Gone are my chances of going out any more because we did get a light snowfall and as such I suspended my insurance coverage this past Friday.

I'm fortunate that I have a heated double car garage so really all I needed to do was connect the battery tender and add fuel stabilizer.

I was struggling with the battery tender cord issue and didn't even think about running the cord out of a partially lowered passenger window, but thanks to AxeZ06, I tried the trick of simply not fully closing the trunk lid and monitor the two trunk lights to see if in fact that they would go out as he stated.

Sure enough he was correct and both lights went out in under (5) minutes as stated.

I know many have said that you can simply run the cord with the hatch closed and although it is mentioned that this can be done with no harmful issues, I kept wondering if the trunk lid would retain a memory of that partial lift and then not fully close in the spring with the corner remaining ever so lightly elevated (paranoia ha ha).

Well thanks AxeZ06.........here's my solution!

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2964.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread