Regular
You're 5
Nov 27, 2017
Surrey BC
VetteCoins
Car
1987 Corvette coupe,
Hi all,
My window motor in the passenger side has taken a dirt nap while the window is all the way to the bottom. I've read optimal position for window is half way up when removing the window, to work on motor/regulator assy.. Cant do it seeing the window wont go up...... Ive been thinking is it possible to take the whole regulator WITH window still attached?

Any insight would be awesome
Thanks
Darrell

Hi,
I switched motor and switch. Got the passenger window rolled up, went for a drive. Rolled the window down, now it wont go up, stalled the engine once, engine runs like caca and now back where I started. Could this be the battery? I had to recharge it and its not a full charge.

From what I’ve found allot of the electronics are ground switched in these cars. Id be looking at grounds myself and I’d also be testing the old motor to see if it was dead in the first place. Hope you find the issue

Im stumped as to where to even start to find the window ground locations. Any pointers? All fuses are ok, the temperature readout for the climate control flicker, and you hear a thumping from speakers and lights dim bad when up or down is clicked.

Im stumped as to where to even start to find the window ground locations. Any pointers? All fuses are ok, the temperature readout for the climate control flicker, and you hear a thumping from speakers and lights dim bad when up or down is clicked.

Darrell as Seppi mentioned above, it really sounds like you have ground issues. I have a C7 that I checked on today...with no current issues thank goodness. I saw your posts and had some time today so I looked around a bit for you.

Don't panic as these cars are famous for this very problem and all the things you are mentioning including your engine problem. There is a ton of information all over the internet. Just google away and your problems will likely be solved. I cannot post specific links to some treads due to Niks rules ;) but you will find them quickly.

Here is a sample of what's out there for you.

Derek

upload_2017-12-11_16-11-52.png

upload_2017-12-11_16-17-27.png

upload_2017-12-11_16-19-26.png

upload_2017-12-11_16-21-0.png

Hi. I replaced switch and motor and it went up and down 2 times. I went for a drive and now it won't go up. Im sure its a bad ground as it dims lights when i try use window switch for affected side, drivers ok for now lol. I tried cleaning up c100 contact point behind battery but still no go. Is there a ground i may have messed with when i pulled up console for switch replacement? Ligbter didnt work now it does after i put it back together. Makes sense just unsre of groind points to attack next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lol make that ground points. outta control Auto correct.

Search some threads on the other forum as they have many with the problems and the ground point listed. Bet you find your answer.

I did a bit more digging here today. Here is another illustration of the ground points and what's associated with them. Good luck. Hope you sort these grounds out.

Derek

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 17.05.10.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-23-54.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-24-40.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-25-21.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-25-55.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-26-32.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-27-6.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-27-39.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-37-58.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-44-42.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-48-17.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-48-49.png

upload_2017-12-13_17-49-20.png

@ Seppi, yes and it was indeed bad....I DID find a very good quick video about the ground on left side of bell housing by the oil filter tho. I plan on getting under the car in the next few days, its starting to rain here again so Imm atleast happy its under tree shelter :)
Heres the video if anyone is interested in g104

Reactions: seppi and ddgermann
@ Seppi, yes and it was indeed bad....I DID find a very good quick video about the ground on left side of bell housing by the oil filter tho. I plan on getting under the car in the next few days, its starting to rain here again so Imm atleast happy its under tree shelter :)
Heres the video if anyone is interested in g104

Sounds like the main engine ground. Best of luck.

Reactions: Darrellg1
well....i got it fixed ! It turned out it was the extra length wire i got with he adapter to hook up to the door motor. it got wedged in between the regulator, got cut and grounded out on the frame of regulator. i figured go to where i was last, when it was working. happy guy.

Glad you found the problem. If your engine is running rough these ground issues could very well be the cause of that too.
You want to be enjoying that machine in April... not wrenching on it. :thumbs:

Reactions: Darrellg1
Thanks again, and I actually threw a day plate on it today, and just came back from driving it to Vancouver from Surrey and back!! :). I was intending on cycling the motor with my battery and finding the ground out afterwards, but it was staring me in the face after I inspected it. (After pulling it from between the frame and motor in regulator assembly.) Clean cut into the insulation. I heat shrunk it and zap strapped it on the other side of the door stiffener and under the plate the door pull attaches to. I got to treat it to a car wash too. Good thing....rains are coming big time and it would been bad news.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.