Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
Bought one of these for the garage to replace a 40 year old one I have in the barn. It's WIFI enabled so one can tell if the door is open or open / close it when desired with your smart phone. They have an add on you can buy to add to your newer garage door opener.
Amazon product
Amazon product

Bought one of these for the garage to replace a 40 year old one I have in the barn. It's WIFI enabled so one can tell if the door is open or open / close it when desired with your smart phone. They have an add on you can buy to add to your newer garage door opener.
Amazon product
Amazon product

I can tell by looking at my garage doors whether they are open or not. If I forget to close them well.... I'd be a dummy... lol...

... hmmm ... never knew of this latest door opener feature ...
In an urban setting ... I have seen so many people leave their driveway as
their overhead door is closing. Driving away not even realizing that the
door reversed. It can happen for many reasons like when a wheel in the door track
gets compromised or misaligned. So I do not see this being a bad option at all especially
when the car that remains exposed is a .... you know what !
I am one not to leave without seeing the seal on the bottom of the overhead door
hit the concrete ... sadly I am not the only one doing it though.

It would also be handy with operation via the smartphone. Much more secure as
other vehicles on the driveway can have remotes removed/disabled as thieves
will break into vehicles just to push the door opener button.

Last edited:
I can't leave my garage door open or Raccoons will steal my car! Or worse hang out in the rafters and poop on them.
The garage doors in the barn are at the back and I can't see them from the house. If the raccoons hack into the opener all heck could break loose.

If you have to replace your opener I highly recommend a LiftMaster direct drive. You'll wonder why you ever had a traditional opener.
I could buy 3 garage door openers for the price of one of those! lol.
I do like the side mount though. As long as you can short the wires together it can become a WIFI enabled door. The Chamberlain I bought can't connect to my router so I'm going to swap it with one from the barn so I can use the WIFI hub which I can place where it sees the router. The WIFI Chamberlain requires a fancy remote and you can't use a typical door bell switch with it. And yes, I have a router in the barn.

I could buy 3 garage door openers for the price of one of those! lol.
I do like the side mount though. As long as you can short the wires together it can become a WIFI enabled door. The Chamberlain I bought can't connect to my router so I'm going to swap it with one from the barn so I can use the WIFI hub which I can place where it sees the router. The WIFI Chamberlain requires a fancy remote and you can't use a typical door bell switch with it. And yes, I have a router in the barn.
I had our installed for $650 a couple of years ago. Ultra quiet operation, soft open and close, automatic dead bolt lock and you don't have all the crap hanging from the roof! Worth the price of admission.

I had our installed for $650 a couple of years ago. Ultra quiet operation, soft open and close, automatic dead bolt lock and you don't have all the crap hanging from the roof! Worth the price of admission.
If you care about that stuff. My money is better spent elsewhere. YMMV

I need to replace my garage door opener, can you tell me what make and model you bought. Thank you .
It all depends on your desires. If you want quiet you will pay for it. If you don't care than a typical chain drive will work for you. I bought Chamberlain because I already had 1. Then because of that I bought 2 more. Don't buy a wifi enabled one because you are limited to how strong the wifi signal is. Plus you pay a lot more for them when a little $40 wifi hub will work just fine as long as the garage door opener will work by just shorting the 2 leads.
Canadian tire has this one on sale right now. Chain drive so a little noisier
Edit: OOPS! That one is wifi enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny21C8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.