Black Vettes Matter
Regular
Dec 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z51 Owner
Province
MB
On my way back from Saskatoon to Winnipeg with my "new" 15 stingray 7mt. The car was absolute perfection I was totally in love. About an outer outside Regina I put it in eco mode to see what kind of mileage I was getting. 20 seconds later that car started to have a minor shake, I was positive it was a flat tire, 5 seconds after that it started to knock LOUD. Checked the oil it was a low so my dad took the rental we had drove out with and got some more. Topped it up to no avail. So it's on a flat deck now back to Saskatoon and I'm in the rental headed back to Winnipeg. It was so random and spontaneous I hope its a sensor or minor. Wont know till it gets checked on Monday. Yes I threw up lol

Last edited:
On my way back from Saskatoon to Winnipeg with my "new" 15 stingrays 7mt. The car was absolute perfection I was totally in love. About an outer outside Regina I put it in eco mode to see what kind of mileage I wad getting. 20 seconds later that car started to have a minor shake, I was positive it was a flat tire, 5 seconds after that it started to knock LOUD. Checked the oil it was a low so my dad took the rental we had drove out with and got some more. Topped it up so no avail. So it's on a flat deck now back to Saskatoon and I'm in the rental headed back to Winnipeg. Yes I threw up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_1604499.jpg
    IMG_20210821_1604499.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20210821_1458570.jpg
    IMG_20210821_1458570.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
That really sucks... I too have a '15 7MT. The LT1 has been solid through the 6 years and 55K, but I refrain from putting it into 'Eco' as I swear it caused the oil consumption I saw in the first two year. I know you were only in 'Eco' for a bit and it shouldn't harm the car, but there is a noticeable shudder when I switch to V4. Did you get any sensation when the car switched to V4? I'm assuming there was no CEL prior to the knock?

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
That really sucks... I too have a '15 7MT. The LT1 has been solid through the 6 years and 55K, but I refrain from putting it into 'Eco' as I swear it caused the oil consumption I saw in the first two year. I know you were only in 'Eco' for a bit and it shouldn't harm the car, but there is a noticeable shudder when I switch to V4. Did you get any sensation when the car switched to V4? I'm assuming there was no CEL prior to the knock?
Zero cel zero issues at all. 7th gear, cruise at 120. Was able to take a pic of the gauge then vibrations started. Like I said I thought mabey it was a flat but didnt get a light, so I pulled up the psi and everything was good there. Then the knocking suddenly followed by Christmas lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_1437595.jpg
    IMG_20210821_1437595.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 104
Hard to be sure but your Corvette looks like a Z51 and if it is there is a very specific method to check the oil level (MINIMUM 5 minutes, MAXIMUM 10 minutes after shut down at operation temp 175f). Check it too late after shutting down and it's going to read low when it really isn't. Add oil then and you end up with too much... which is a big problem. Hope this isn't the case with your situation

The car was being sold at a fairly well known large dealership. Regardless I had them take it to a 3rd party shop of my choice for a second opinion as I always do if buying out of province. It passed with flying colors. When I got the car yesterday I went over every single inch inside and out, lying on my back checking the under carriage ect. I did NOT check the oil level, I was focused on wear and tear and paint imperfections. Test drive went flawless. Based on all the above I did not get any extended warranty but did bring up worse case scenario IF if "blows up" on the way home would they take care of it for me? I said it mostly as a joke but the three times I brought it up they said they would completely stand by the car if anything happened on the journey home. When shtf the first thing we checked was oil level. It was much lower than that it should be yes, I won't say by how much right now but have it all on video. My dad drove to the next closest town in the rental ( really happy we didn't fly at this point lol) and got more. Filled it to the propper level to no avail. Dealership sent the closest available flat deck, turned out to be some inbred country boy who didn't bother to put his cigarette out before getting in my car, almost felt worse knowing it was in his hands. Car is staying "inside his shop" until tomorrow and will be going back to the dealership first thing tomorrow am. Non Z51.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_1607548.jpg
    IMG_20210821_1607548.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Hard to be sure but your Corvette looks like a Z51 and if it is there is a very specific method to check the oil level (MINIMUM 5 minutes, MAXIMUM 10 minutes after shut down at operation temp 175f). Check it too late after shutting down and it's going to read low when it really isn't. Add oil then and you end up with too much... which is a big problem. Hope this isn't the case with your situation
This is process regardless of C7, but a slight top up is not going to hurt anything if it is low.

On my way back from Saskatoon to Winnipeg with my "new" 15 stingray 7mt. The car was absolute perfection I was totally in love. About an outer outside Regina I put it in eco mode to see what kind of mileage I was getting. 20 seconds later that car started to have a minor shake, I was positive it was a flat tire, 5 seconds after that it started to knock LOUD. Checked the oil it was a low so my dad took the rental we had drove out with and got some more. Topped it up to no avail. So it's on a flat deck now back to Saskatoon and I'm in the rental headed back to Winnipeg. It was so random and spontaneous I hope its a sensor or minor. Wont know till it gets checked on Monday. Yes I threw up lol

Oh man sorry to hear you news. Hopefully the dealership will stand behind the issue with you or at the very least absorb some of the cost which you may face. Lets hope for a faulty sensor or something of that nature

Just to be clear, there are two distinct methods for checking the oil level on a C7. One is for the wet sump, base models, and the other is for the dry sump, ZR1, Z06, GS and Z51. The procedure described by KLinNBC is correct for the dry sump system. The correct procedure for the wet sump system, which is what the OP has and as per the Owner's Manual, is as follows:

" To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground. Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours. Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings. Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.

If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level ".

As for the situation that the OP has experience, I genuinely hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like it could be an AFM valve or lifter failure. Given that the problem occurred when selecting "Eco", the only mode that will activate AFM on the M7, it is one possible explanation. Another possibility is a broken valve spring but this is unlikely as that should show signs regardless of drive mode. Again, I really hope I'm wrong and that, whatever the problem, the dealer comes good for the repair.

Good luck
Ross

Your oil pressure and temp looked within acceptable range from the picture you provided. The AFM lifter issue is a know issue to GM in their truck and SUV V8s. Probably much less of an issue with an LT1, but as CDNRX1 noted, it's still possible due to the engagement of AFM (someone correct me if wrong, but low oil pressure is a contributing factor). If that's the case, and hopefully we're wrong, let's hope the dealership does the right thing.

Reactions: Canuck204
Your oil pressure and temp looked within acceptable range from the picture you provided. The AFM lifter issue is a know issue to GM in their truck and SUV V8s. Probably much less of an issue with an LT1, but as CDNRX1 noted, it's still possible due to the engagement of AFM (someone correct me if wrong, but low oil pressure is a contributing factor). If that's the case, and hopefully we're wrong, let's hope the dealership does the right thing.
You're quite right regarding the low oil pressure issue. There is a TSB and a number of technical write-ups on the subject.

The problem primarily affected the 2014 - 2016 MY's but some later vehicles did show symptoms. This is the original TSB along with one and two more articles.

Hope this helps.
Ross

UPDATE:
So the dealership I bought the car from ( not gm) thinks its a rod but aren't confident.... they are going to send it to one of their sister locations that is an actual GM dealership hopefully today. I prepared myself long ago for an empty bank account to get this car, I just didn't expect to have an empty garage at the same time lol.

Last edited:
Canuck204, although you are in Manitoba, just so you’re aware, in Saskatchewan you have some consumer protection on your car, see attached link. It’s up to you if you want to have it repaired or get your money back.

Canuck204, although you are in Manitoba, just so you’re aware, in Saskatchewan you have some consumer protection on your car, see attached link. It’s up to you if you want to have it repaired or get your money back.

That's a great piece of info thx. I priced out a new LT1 can have it landed for under 9k. Just getting plan a,b,c,d ready if needed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread