wllmkeogh

Casual User
Dec 27, 2014
Fort Erie Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1965 & 1974
Who owned in Ontario 1956 Corvette E56S003244 in period after 1962 and no later than 2005. The car was imported in to Canada from the U.S. sometime after 1962 and the one owner (i.e. trying to determine name ) worked in Ontario at the Ontario Hydro Lakeview Generating Station was opened by Premier John Robarts on June 20, 1962.. The 1956 corvette still has the Lakeview Generating Station parking permit sticker on inside of drivers window permit # 4388 operations.As a result the corvette was driven to work by the owner . The plant closed in 2005 . The car is presently in Germany and I am trying to help owner of it determine the owner in Canada of car. Contact William Keogh E mail: [email protected] Tel: 905-8712341 NCRS member #1610 Fort Erie Ontario Canada

Attachments

• Scan_20210830.png
    Scan_20210830.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
Love the 56's, a grade 13 student at Humberside Collegiate drove one in the nice weather to complete his graduation year, prior to 4 years north of Eglington. Gift from his Father. We all stood and watched, with mouths open, as he came and went! Now many of have joined the revolution with cars of our own, of course decades later!

Love the 56's, a grade 13 student at Humberside Collegiate drove one in the nice weather to complete his graduation year, prior to 4 years north of Eglington. Gift from his Father. We all stood and watched, with mouths open, as he came and went! Now many of have joined the revolution with cars of our own, of course decades later!
I just came across this thread tonight. My Father drove a brand new '56 Corvette in grade 13 at Humberside. It was black, silver cove, red interior. Car was a gift from his Grandfather.

I just came across this thread tonight. My Father drove a brand new '56 Corvette in grade 13 at Humberside. It was black, silver cove, red interior. Car was a gift from his Grandfather.
I loved your find an answer, sort of amazing. I wrote the original comment since at that time, the Forum asked a question when is the right time to buy a corvette, I had said, any time. Since I finally got a Corvette in July 2021, a C 2008. My wife finally caved and said OK.
We enjoyed it so much and wish we had done it earlier. We have been on many Niagara cruises with Denis, who puts on the best cruises in Ontario. Our Corvette was shipped to Florida for the 21/22 season, and we cruised all over the southwest of Florida, even driving to Key West. In May of 22, we drove it home through the mountains north of Charlotte to Unionville, via Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo. A great trip and a wonderful experience. Now Route 66 is on the bucket list. So to sum it up, age is not a factor, ha!

I am glad to read that you and your wife are enjoying your Corvette to the fullest extent. It fascinates me too that you were watching my Father drive his first Corvette, the 1956, in 1956! He owned several after that and he and I spent many hours in each one them. Readers might also enjoy reading that my Father had a connection to Gorries Chevrolet in 1956 and 1957. I have a picture of my Father in their service area with his 1956 on a hoist beside the dealer's 1957 race car. My Dad had a competition licence and from what I learned talking with my Father, he went with the race team to Watkins Glen and was a back up driver. I wasn't able to get much more from my Dad in terms of details, though. The car you saw at Humberside was destroyed in a terrible and tragic accident a year later involving my Father's Uncle. It seems a truck crossed the centre line and hit the Corvette. Just thought I would share a little bit about this with the forum readers. Enjoy your Corvettes!

I am glad to read that you and your wife are enjoying your Corvette to the fullest extent. It fascinates me too that you were watching my Father drive his first Corvette, the 1956, in 1956! He owned several after that and he and I spent many hours in each one them. Readers might also enjoy reading that my Father had a connection to Gorries Chevrolet in 1956 and 1957. I have a picture of my Father in their service area with his 1956 on a hoist beside the dealer's 1957 race car. My Dad had a competition licence and from what I learned talking with my Father, he went with the race team to Watkins Glen and was a back up driver. I wasn't able to get much more from my Dad in terms of details, though. The car you saw at Humberside was destroyed in a terrible and tragic accident a year later involving my Father's Uncle. It seems a truck crossed the centre line and hit the Corvette. Just thought I would share a little bit about this with the forum readers. Enjoy your Corvettes!
Wow, to hear this story now, really makes one feel, history is repeating itself. Too bad about the 56 being in a terrible accident. Still love that car today and believe it or not can visualize your Dad, driving it into the parking lot on the North West side of Humberside adjacent to the track. Dark hair and a good dresser, if I recall! I was 14 and assume now, he would have been 17 or 18. Enjoy your membership, great stories for all of us to remember.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
You have a good eye! My Dad's Grandfather owned a ladies wear company that manufactured various outfits for department stores. Both my Dad, and his Uncle, through travel for the company to search out new fashions, would have their own clothing made. My Dad worked in his Grandfather's factory since he was a little boy, so the Corvette was a gift for all that effort. I understand that he was quite the "hunk" back then, and the 'Vette didn't hurt! I honestly cannot believe I found your posting, to be honest. I was searching for information on Gorries, which led to threads like the one here looking for the cars....then you share a memory that happens to be of my Dad. Wow.

You have a good eye! My Dad's Grandfather owned a ladies wear company that manufactured various outfits for department stores. Both my Dad, and his Uncle, through travel for the company to search out new fashions, would have their own clothing made. My Dad worked in his Grandfather's factory since he was a little boy, so the Corvette was a gift for all that effort. I understand that he was quite the "hunk" back then, and the 'Vette didn't hurt! I honestly cannot believe I found your posting, to be honest. I was searching for information on Gorries, which led to threads like the one here looking for the cars....then you share a memory that happens to be of my Dad. Wow.

And now the rest of the story, I started in the clothing business, doing made to measure pants and ski wear, on Spadina Ave. The heart of manufacturing in Toronto at the time, while at Ryerson. From there I spent 40 years in the sales marketing and manufacturing business. Mostly men's were, but did do lots of ladies wear for Cotton Ginny etc. So all in all, very interesting comments from the both of us.
Cheers!

And now the rest of the story, I started in the clothing business, doing made to measure pants and ski wear, on Spadina Ave. The heart of manufacturing in Toronto at the time, while at Ryerson. From there I spent 40 years in the sales marketing and manufacturing business. Mostly men's were, but did do lots of ladies wear for Cotton Ginny etc. So all in all, very interesting comments from the both of us.
Cheers!
I am finding this information so incredibly sentimental. My Father is now 84 and suffering from advanced dimentia. He and I were close when I was young and cars were a passion he gave passed down to me (I chose f-bodies just to be different, but have matured to the Corvette). Likely due to the trauma of what happened to his uncle in the 1956, my Dad would resist talking too much about his connection to Gorries and such. It was just too painful, and I know he blames himself for the loss of his Uncle. I could always see the pain in his eyes, and no doubt many terrible things were likely said to him after the accident. His Uncle was like my Dad....sharp and capable behind the wheel. The two were like brothers. When I see my Father these days, his eyes still widen when I bring up the 1956, so I know he is remembering it. The more I can share with him, the better. I will read him this thread when I see him next. Thank you, Unionville, for putting this memory out in the world for me to find. The last few words I said to him at our last visit were - "I wish we had driven the Vettes more!". To anyone reading this - don't let a good day pass by without your Corvette.

@Confluence welcome to the forum.

Interesting story and any and all Corvette related pictures would be more than welcomed. Gorries Downtown was a pretty big deal for many years.
Thank you for the comments. I will be over to visit my Mother soon and will try to find the few surviving photos of the car, including the one photo at Gorries. I will be happy to share them here.

Who owned in Ontario 1956 Corvette E56S003244 in period after 1962 and no later than 2005. The car was imported in to Canada from the U.S. sometime after 1962 and the one owner (i.e. trying to determine name ) worked in Ontario at the Ontario Hydro Lakeview Generating Station was opened by Premier John Robarts on June 20, 1962.. The 1956 corvette still has the Lakeview Generating Station parking permit sticker on inside of drivers window permit # 4388 operations.As a result the corvette was driven to work by the owner . The plant closed in 2005 . The car is presently in Germany and I am trying to help owner of it determine the owner in Canada of car. Contact William Keogh E mail: [email protected] Tel: 905-8712341 NCRS member #1610 Fort Erie Ontario Canada
As sometimes happens this thread took an interesting turn. Let's not forget William's original request for help.

I am finding this information so incredibly sentimental. My Father is now 84 and suffering from advanced dimentia. He and I were close when I was young and cars were a passion he gave passed down to me (I chose f-bodies just to be different, but have matured to the Corvette). Likely due to the trauma of what happened to his uncle in the 1956, my Dad would resist talking too much about his connection to Gorries and such. It was just too painful, and I know he blames himself for the loss of his Uncle. I could always see the pain in his eyes, and no doubt many terrible things were likely said to him after the accident. His Uncle was like my Dad....sharp and capable behind the wheel. The two were like brothers. When I see my Father these days, his eyes still widen when I bring up the 1956, so I know he is remembering it. The more I can share with him, the better. I will read him this thread when I see him next. Thank you, Unionville, for putting this memory out in the world for me to find. The last few words I said to him at our last visit were - "I wish we had driven the Vettes more!". To anyone reading this - don't let a good day pass by without your Corvette.
Thank you for your words and all the best to your Father, it is a tough disease. Great that you can read to him and love him!

Thank you for your words and all the best to your Father, it is a tough disease. Great that you can read to him and love him!
PS When I said I was 14 and your Father, likely 17 or 18, and now he is 84, amazing, since, I turn 80 in February and my wife and I are fortunate to be in great health. Wishing you and your Father God's blessings.

As sometimes happens this thread took an interesting turn. Let's not forget William's original request for help.
Wow Bill this turned into an interesting post even thou it’s now sideways. Wonderful memories by all of us from the Gorries Days. I’m trying to think of some names for you and Lance Hill comes to mind. Press on my friend. Brad Elliott’s old 56 that came from Gorries to Drinkwater. Sad he is gone.

Attachments

• 32A27D3E-2849-4729-BE8C-D37C08C93922.jpeg
    32A27D3E-2849-4729-BE8C-D37C08C93922.jpeg
    815.2 KB · Views: 5
Lance Hill now there is an interesting character in Ontario Motorsports history. He made it all the way to NHRA Pro Stock fame. He had many talents outside of the automotive world.

My friend, Brooke DeShaw, raced a 1963 Chevrolet Impala. The car was a Canadian champion in F/Stock when it was sponsored by Park Lane Motors in Sarnia. He broke the four speed at St.Thomas one weekend. He called Gorries Downtown they told him if he took it out they would fix it. Out and on is way, Gorries rebuilt it for him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread