Nov 12, 2009
New Brunswick
VetteCoins
Car
2006 C6
When I purchased my C6 in 2009, it was with full intention to use it as a road trip vehicle, for the 2 of us.
I've owned sports cars since my youth, all with 4 speed manuals, but decided this time around that I would get the A6 with paddle shifter so my wife could drive occasionally on those trips. That however never did happen as she was timid of the power.
I'm pretty picky, so besides my 2 sons, and 1 of my friends, no one else has asked, or will be allowed to drive my 2006.

Having said that, I have make a few exceptions. Here is one of them.
Matthew in car.jpg

Last edited:
Wife is afraid of driving the Corvette with the manual even though I have encouraged her to at least give it a try. If I have time I am going to teach my oldest this fall how to drive a manual.
My wife is scared that she would put a scratch on it, although I reassure her that it is only a car...lol

That would be a thrill for your oldest. I taught my boys to drive a stick, and they will not buy an automatic for their vehicle. Their wives however have automatics for their vehicles.

My wife isn't comfortable driving a standard but that's not the reason she doesn't drive mine. It's her attitude that it's just a car and getting scratches is a normal day to day occurrence...therefore... she does not drive my car... If she wants to drive one of my vehicles, she's welcome to drive the Rav4.... lol...

My wife isn't comfortable driving a standard but that's not the reason she doesn't drive mine. It's her attitude that it's just a car and getting scratches is a normal day to day occurrence...therefore... she does not drive my car... If she wants to drive one of my vehicles, she's welcome to drive the Rav4.... lol...
Same at my place. She just thinks its transportation. But geez dry your hands on the wrong towel in the bathroom and watch Zeus descend from Olympus....

Apparently some towels are just for show. Who knew...

When I purchased my C6 in 2009, it was with full intention to use it as a road trip vehicle, for the 2 of us.
I've owned sports cars since my youth, all with 4 speed manuals, but decided this time around that I would get the A6 with paddle shifter so my wife could drive occasionally on those trips. That however never did happen as she was timid of the power.
I'm pretty picky, so besides my 2 sons, and 1 of my friends, no one else has asked, or will be allowed to drive my 2006.

Having said that, I have make a few exceptions. Here is one of them.
View attachment 42411
I've never been paranoid about letting others drive my manual sports cars. I taught my wife to drive stick on the 78 C3 that I had way back when...and all of our family vehicles are manual also. When our 2 kids became of driving age, they had to learn manual as that's all we owned. Now they can drive any vehicles on the planet, and are in turn teaching their friends who are interested. I allowed any friends or colleagues who could drive a stick to take my C5 out for a drive...and the same for my 2019 C7 that I've had since last summer. Nothing like sharing the joy with others :)

Same at my place. She just thinks its transportation. But geez dry your hands on the wrong towel in the bathroom and watch Zeus descend from Olympus....

Apparently some towels are just for show. Who knew...

Yes Al. Some towels are not to be used for wiping hands.... And they are apparently not to be used for drying the floor when the toilet overflows either.... :angelic:

My wife won't try to drive my car, even though, like others here, I have insisted she at least try it.
No one else has even asked to drive it. I wouldn't hesitate to let someone try it out (I haven't advertised that either)...maybe another would catch the bug.

I picked up my 09 base A6 a couple weeks back. My wife has driven it here and there. She is very cautious though, parks away from other cars. I would let my family drive it along with certain neighbours, as some of my neighbours also have nice cars that I wouldn't mind trading for a cruise (R8, newer Mustangs, Ford GT and C8).

I thought that I'd add this for a bit of fun since the Corvette is my wifes and she lets me drive it lol. So far it has been driven by 3 of my cousins (all have driven or owned high performance vehicles one owns a 911) a longtime friend, my son in-law and both daughters have driven it. Afraid of the power lol? The first time my wife drove it she had me pinned to the seat and was giggling the whole time.

20170429_082602.jpg
20190803_103305.jpg
20170319_131916.jpg

Reactions: Dik and 12cents
I involuntary let the guys at the tire shop drive my car, when it was in for a wheel alignment. Unfortunately they didn’t ask permission, maybe it’s in the fine print you sign when you hand over the keys. I didn’t know road testing (possible joyriding) was part of the wheel alignment process. I’ve had several alignments on several vehicles over the years and that was the first time. I could understand a road test after the work was completed with me as the driver and the technician as the passenger, to verify the issue was resolved...car was wandering to the right.
It’s quite an uneasy feeling when you’re sat in the customer waiting area and you see your car being driven away by someone you’ve never even met.
They lost me as a customer that day. Next time, when I take it to a different place I’ll have to make it clear that if there’s any road testing to be done, I’ll be the driver or at least the passenger. sorry to rant here.
On the other side, my brother and his wife, my wife, my brother in-law and my cousin have all driven my car and I’m happy they did. I’d let almost anyone (who asked for my permission) drive my car especially if I’m the passenger and I could end it anytime I wanted. I’ve offered to some friends and they’ve declined.

Last edited:
My wife drove my C6 once but our youngest daughter "owned" the second key fob back in the day. Motto was its a Chevy and not supposed to sit in the garage. If I was busy she can cruise. And I make sure she gets to drive the C7 once in a while. 😘
:Cheers2:
IMG-20110611-00004.jpg

And there was a very special fellow I was lucky enough to get to know, Myron. He was a retired trucker who just loves all cars and trucks. Although he never drove my C6 he was an awesome man. RIP Myron. You are a sweetheart.

2006 Corvette and Myron 001.JPG

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.