Jan 15, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2011Grand Sport
Province
ON
I believe that my 2012 convertible has been destroyed in a building collapse. Before I contact my insurance company, I would like to arm myself with recent sales prices for base model C6 convertibles.

Some insurance companies will "err on the side of caution" and favour their insureds by relying upon asking prices from autotrader.ca or other sources, rather than actual sold prices, when determining replacement cost value. So you may want to research asking prices as a first step although I suspect there are some Forum members here who are VERY familiar with the C6 sale prices and especially the recent ones, with Corvette prices (any generation) in general on the rise lately. Perhaps they can better answer your question. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Assuming this might be rental-type storage ...
curious if you had to sign a loss waiver with the 3rd-party who owns the collapsed building?

May likely vary between Provinces that some insuring entities have a "book" of insured loss values
that are often never in any policy-payer's favor ... I know am not insured for current resale-asking nor resale-selling prices.
this is how I found out a vehicle of mine was not-at-fault written-off instead of repaired (for a higher cost) in 2012.
I am currently finding similar responses as I am currently inquiring about collision values for insuring a vehicle
that is over 20 years old (but not old enough for an appraised Haggerty policy).

Last edited:
Assuming this is rental storage ... curious of you had to sign a loss waiver with the 3rd-party who owns the collapsed building?

Some insuring entities have a "book" of insured loss values that will not be in anyone's favor.
No. Both the storage facility and my car are fully insured.

Reactions: 12cents
Loss waivers can be easy to get out of but it depends on the facts. Hopefully you had insurance at the time so you'll be paid out and it'll be up to your insurer to figure out if it can recover against the quonset owner or his/her insurer. I've looked at your other posting. I suspect your car will be repairable since its roof line appears intact but you'll know soon enough. They may need a crane to lift the quonset roof to avoid any further damage.

Loss waivers can be easy to get out of but it depends on the facts. Hopefully you had insurance at the time so you'll be paid out and it'll be up to your insurer to figure out if it can recover against the quonset owner or his/her insurer. I've looked at your other posting. I suspect your car will be repairable since its roof line appears intact but you'll know soon enough. They may need a crane to lift the quonset roof to avoid any further damage.
If that girder went all the way through, I suspect the transaxle will be torn out and the frame destroyed. We'll see. They will be getting a couple of cranes, as soon as the engineers decide how to go about it. There is about a foot of heavy, wet snow on top of everything.

I believe that my 2012 convertible has been destroyed in a building collapse. Before I contact my insurance company, I would like to arm myself with recent sales prices for base model C6 convertibles.
Autotrader and kijiji. Find something similar km and year. Prices will be going up with the temp now.

Reactions: Gary Lacoursiere
Sorry for your loss.

Here is my 2cents of insurance advise. In Ontario you ask for a 19A endorsement on your policy which presets the agreed value if there is a total loss or a theft. There is about a 10% increase in the premium for this coverage, but eliminates any future value arguments. The value must be based on an appraised or dealer sale value. provided to your insurer.

In my particular case I don't know what the insurance company would base the value of a regular C6 convertible, I don't even know if there are book values published for my low mileage Indy Pace Car since there were only 500 made about 14 years ago. I guess value for a standard 'vert would be around $25,000 to $30,000 whereas my Pace car is valued at $44,000. My 19A endorsement adds HST to the value and is agreed at $49,500.

Message to all of you, check with your insurance agent and ask what the value of your car would be in a total loss and you may be surprised at what you get. Remember who it is who appraises the value when you have a loss. Don't forget the taxes as well. Maybe you need a 19A endorsement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.