Power User
Aug 20, 2014
toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2015 C7 Z51 M7
Province
ON
This is the question; If you had a budget of $250,000 and thought about buying a new C8 Z06, a new Porsche Turbo or a new NSX, which would you choose and why? When making your choice, the car is bought outright, also thinking about future cost of maintenance, future resale value, overall cost of ownership and very importantly, enjoyment. All cars are fantastic, but which one would it be??

These are three heavy hitters you are debating on. With not knowing what a 2022 Z06 will cost, and only speculating. I will guess a fully loaded Z06 will be in the $140k’s. Price wise, the Z06 is a bargain compared. Resale, if the current C8 trend carries to the Z06 resale markets will be strong, the 2022 will sell out just as fast as the 2020’s. Long term maintenance costs not known for a Z06, but can’t imagine being more then a 911 turbo or NSX. What do you intend on doing with the car, are you going to track it? Are you actually going to use the vehicular where the cost of tires or brakes and other wear items come into play. If yes, the Z06 would be less expensive. I have never reviewed what the average mileage a vette owner puts on their car, but it’s probably pretty low, maybe in oil change range. The 911 and NSX are both real super cars, we can only debate on the performance vs the Z06, time will tell. Exceptions, the Z06 will easily run with 911 and NSX. Will the fit and finish be as good as a 911 or NSX, at half the price I don’t expect it to. Anyways this is just my opinion, best of luck.

Reactions: tyho
Hard to say in some ways when the C8 Z06 has yet to come out, so we're dealing with our own perception of what it'll be like. We know it'll have 650'ish HP and look similar but wider than the Stingray...and suspect it'll be GREAT on the track with superior acceleration, cornering and braking...but knowing a vehicle's likely stats and actually driving one, are usually two very different things. One factor for me would be the storage space, since I'm the "target audience" for the C8 Stingray and its ability to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk was one key feature, especially with the convertible being able to have the roof down but still have free trunk space. I know some say why worry about that when you just park the car at the golf course anyways, but sorry I still enjoy a nice sunny day for top down weather AND golf, so if I can have "my cake and eat it too" I'll happily pay for that privilege. What they do with the frunk and trunk of the Z06 remains to be seen.

The other vehicles are known quantities, since they already exist. One review comparing the NSX and C8 Stingray, preferred the Stingray for its price (about half) but the NSX for its "performance, engineering and reliability":

Other reviews comparing the Stingray and the Porsche 911 vary in opinions, with some preferring one over the other: the 911 for its better "refinement" vs others preferring the C8 for its driver friendly versatility (ie. better ride on bumpy roads) and almost ALL preferring the C8 for its price. One review found them tied in its ratings:

2020 Chevrolet Corvette vs 2020 Porsche 911 - The Car Connection

I like to do my own oil changes so if GM makes the Z06 like the C8 with its ease of oil/filter changes, and if GM continues the lower price point of the Z06, compared to its competitors, I'd likely choose a GM product again over the Porsche Turbo and NSX. Time will tell on the resale value comparison: used Porsche that are well maintained command high resale prices...but the Z06 with what will likely be a much lower starting price especially with the same options as the equivalent Porsche, may get a higher resale value percentage-wise. Only time will tell.

Reactions: tyho
I'm not in the market for any of these cars ... unfortunately, but since we are locked down, I have some time on my hands to research various sports cars. These 3 seem to compare nicely to each other. The other one, which is also quite nice and fits in this price range is the Audi R8 or R10. And now back to the research. Thanks for the opinions guys. Interesting to see what people think.

I have driven many super cars hard on track, ( Mclaren 570, Lamborghini Aventador/Murcielago, Ferrari 488/ Pista, 911 Turbo, Audi R8 V10) and here are some thoughts.
Audi R8 V10= boring...no kidding, like a fast Honda Accord.
Ferrari 488 & Pista = way too much computer control when on, nuts when off. Delicate.
Mclaren = Very fun, very much like the C8.
Lamborghini Aventador= Very very fun, throw it into a corner and catch the rear, more what I was expecting from Ferrari, a blast.
Lamborghini Murcielago = Big, heavy feeling, fast.
911 Turbo 991 Generation = Chassis felt way outclassed by this group, old but fast.
I have been a long time 911 owner and love the new 992 and the Turbo, also really wanted the original NSX. The new NSX has all wheel drive and three electric motors.... I‘m sure it’s a fast car, not sure it’s a fun car, maybe like the Audi.
What I most love about the C8 is how fun it is at all speeds. Many of the above are BORING at legal speeds, the C8 is somehow always exciting.
To sum up my very long answer, the Z06 with real sticky tires will be a real weapon...and my choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.