Casual User
Sep 18, 2017
Amherstview
VetteCoins
Car
2024 Corvette
Province
ON
Want to get an air intake but not sure which one to get. Looking at the K&N but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Soon though!
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Thanks for the heads up!!
A few years ago, I bought a Vararam intake for our 2005 from a guy who was going supercharged. I paid $125 and had Dasilva's shop install it. Where they cut, you don't even see the cut once everything is installed. Make a difference??? Perhaps you would see the difference on the track with a bit of ram air effect that the others wouldn't be gaining. For the $648.99 that Corvette Depot wants, I would definitely pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin and KevinB
Thanks for the heads up!!
A few years ago, I bought a Vararam intake for our 2005 from a guy who was going supercharged. I paid $125 and had Dasilva's shop install it. Where they cut, you don't even see the cut once everything is installed. Make a difference??? Perhaps you would see the difference on the track. For the $648.99 that Corvette Depot wants, I would definitely pass.

Thanks for the info and advice!

A few years ago, I bought a Vararam intake for our 2005 from a guy who was going supercharged. I paid $125 and had Dasilva's shop install it. Where they cut, you don't even see the cut once everything is installed. Make a difference??? Perhaps you would see the difference on the track. For the $648.99 that Corvette Depot wants, I would definitely pass.
[/QUOTE]
I paid $360 US for my Vararam. If you aren't too far from the border, having it shipped to the border is the way to go.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
I thought of installing a Vararam air intake also but upon seeing the price Exlers wanted for it and money exchange and shipping cost passed on it. For the little horse power advantage it would make it didn't make sense for me. Did anyone who had one installed find H/P advantage? Thanks

I thought of installing a Vararam air intake also but upon seeing the price Exlers wanted for it and money exchange and shipping cost passed on it. For the little horse power advantage it would make it didn't make sense for me. Did anyone who had one installed find H/P advantage? Thanks
May make inside noise. Dont like that.

yes DaSilva's installed mine for the previous owner, didn't even notice the cut but with the hose off it is visible

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Does the K&N have the open filter or the heat shield? I think I've seen both. The heat shield should improve heat soak, but it's still not a CAI as it's drawing air from inside the front of the engine bay, and will probably get similar intake temps at stock, though may improve flow if you do headers and/or intake manifold.

The Vararam is one of the better options, and is a true CAI, which is the only type worth going with, as most of the open filter intakes might net an increase in ideal situations but are going to suffer from heat soak. I helped a friend put a Vararam on his 05 C6, and there was no appreciable butt dyno difference when the car was still stock. They claim a certain power gain (like many bolts on) but probably isn't realized without a tune, thought it doesn't require a tune to properly function like headers or an intake manifold. They even claim a certain positive air pressure at speed, which may be true. It's a bit of a pain to install because you have to cut the rad shroud, and if you do it in place have to be very careful not to cut through and hit the rad/AC condenser. The build quality wasn't great, the plastic had a rough finish on it, the clamps for the box were like a rubberized version of the T shaped clamps like the hood clamps on a Jeep CJ, and where the box fit around the filter it didn't look like it mated evenly with the seal. I think the new version has metal clamps as I've seen a couple in person and in pics.

Does the K&N have the open filter or the heat shield? I think I've seen both. The heat shield should improve heat soak, but it's still not a CAI as it's drawing air from inside the front of the engine bay, and will probably get similar intake temps at stock, though may improve flow if you do headers and/or intake manifold.

The Vararam is one of the better options, and is a true CAI, which is the only type worth going with, as most of the open filter intakes might net an increase in ideal situations but are going to suffer from heat soak. I helped a friend put a Vararam on his 05 C6, and there was no appreciable butt dyno difference when the car was still stock. They claim a certain power gain (like many bolts on) but probably isn't realized without a tune, thought it doesn't require a tune to properly function like headers or an intake manifold. They even claim a certain positive air pressure at speed, which may be true. It's a bit of a pain to install because you have to cut the rad shroud, and if you do it in place have to be very careful not to cut through and hit the rad/AC condenser. The build quality wasn't great, the plastic had a rough finish on it, the clamps for the box were like a rubberized version of the T shaped clamps like the hood clamps on a Jeep CJ, and where the box fit around the filter it didn't look like it mated evenly with the seal. I think the new version has metal clamps as I've seen a couple in person and in pics.

Thank you for the write up. I am thinking more about the AFE set up now as it does have a heat shield. Seems like they are not all they claim to be but only a personal preference if you want to modify the car for appearance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.