Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
I've traced the original quote from Paul Koerner to a post from a senior member on corvetteforum.com. I sent a private message to that member inquiring about the origin of his post. He made his post after hearing it from Paul at a seminar Paul presented. Below is his response to my inquiry.

"Hi George! Welcome and congrats on your new 2017 Z06! The information that I have provided from Paul Koerner came from one of his seminars that I have attended in the past. He reviewed the post on the forum and made sure the information was correct. I hope this helps. :cheers:"

This is good enough for me to use the recommendation of a 1/4 tank for winter storage. Hope this is helpful to other folks putting their "late model" vets into hibernation.

I cut/pasted from USCF. I use to fill my gas tank (C3, C4, C5) and add stabilizer; but , based on this comment from apparently the GM guru - the newer models (C7+) just fill 1/2? I beleive this issue has appeared before - interested in what other C7 owners are doing?

• Agree
Reactions: hemicat
Usually close to a full tank but between going to a BD party in Florida and then 11 days of hunting camp, I lost the last month and got caught with about a quarter tank this year. :Biggrin: I don't worry a lot about it either way.

I've been told that a full tank is recommended as the more air you have in the tank, the more condensation will happen when it gets cold.

Take it with a grain of salt, I haven't done my research on what the best practice is.

I've been told that a full tank is recommended as the more air you have in the tank, the more condensation will happen when it gets cold.

Take it with a grain of salt, I haven't done my research on what the best practice is.

I have heard that as well. My mancave is heated and humidity contolled throughout the year so likely condensation is not as much of an issue as it could be when there are fluctuating temperatures all the time. Definately don't want to mix condensation and ethanol blended gas for those of you still using it.

• Agree
Reactions: turbozig and tyho
Google gas tank sensor replacement for 2 grand and then realize under 1/4 of a tank is the correct method to use

🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭
I meant C7. But I just ordered my C8 convertible to-day. Consensus is ...................................????? I am going to call GM tomorrow and see if I can get an answer. Nopt that important right now as I have a C* coming; but, ask about both the C7 & C8. :Banghead: :Banghead:

It used to be a bigger deal to store vehicles with a full tank when they were made of steel. Plastic tanks don't attract the condensation like the steel tanks so less than full is ok. Last year was the first year I didn't fill it to the brim and add stabilizer and it was fine in the Spring. This year I got caught putting it away with an 1/8 of a tank so that means new fresh fuel at the start for next year. Also, I don't use fuel with any ethanol in it, so I am not worried about alcohol separating out of the fuel or it absorbing moisture.
The wife's Mustang still has a steel tank so I filled it and put in Stabilizer. However, stabilizer doesn't appear to be as effective as they're supposed to be (only referencing one brand of stabilizer) so it's a toss up if it's even needed. However, it was shown to work better in E10 fuel than E85. Her car only calls for 87 octane so I'm conflicted about putting in premium just so it doesn't have ethanol in it over winter as I'm not sure how well it burns premium fuel? Plus, having to time the switch over from regular to premium in the summer so it no longer has 87 in it, but we aren't burning tank loads of fuel it doesn't need......blah, blah, blah....
Long story short, Corvettes are fine with whatever amount of fuel as long as it has a plastic fuel tank and you use fuel without ethanol in it, or use a fuel with no more than 10% ethanol and add a stabilizer of some sort.

I can't remember but I think I have either ...
two half-tanks of no-ethanol fuel ... or was that four quarter-tanks.

Geez I remember now it's

eight-eighth tanks in one
and sixteen-sixteenths in the other.

I hope this helps ... 😂👍🏻
and I realize ...
it may appear thst I am just wining........... 🍷 🤪

Last edited:
It used to be a bigger deal to store vehicles with a full tank when they were made of steel. Plastic tanks don't attract the condensation like the steel tanks so less than full is ok. Last year was the first year I didn't fill it to the brim and add stabilizer and it was fine in the Spring. This year I got caught putting it away with an 1/8 of a tank so that means new fresh fuel at the start for next year. Also, I don't use fuel with any ethanol in it, so I am not worried about alcohol separating out of the fuel or it absorbing moisture.
The wife's Mustang still has a steel tank so I filled it and put in Stabilizer. However, stabilizer doesn't appear to be as effective as they're supposed to be (only referencing one brand of stabilizer) so it's a toss up if it's even needed. However, it was shown to work better in E10 fuel than E85. Her car only calls for 87 octane so I'm conflicted about putting in premium just so it doesn't have ethanol in it over winter as I'm not sure how well it burns premium fuel? Plus, having to time the switch over from regular to premium in the summer so it no longer has 87 in it, but we aren't burning tank loads of fuel it doesn't need......blah, blah, blah....
Long story short, Corvettes are fine with whatever amount of fuel as long as it has a plastic fuel tank and you use fuel without ethanol in it, or use a fuel with no more than 10% ethanol and add a stabilizer of some sort.

Ouch....Any ethanol even with stabilizer doesn't have my vote of confidence.You obviously missed this vid from another post Riley. This may change your mind on storage.

I run non ethanol Shell 91 octane exclusively. I've always put my cars away with the tanks full and have never had any fuel related problems. These new cars, with different parts might be a whole different animal. Check with your GM service department.

Reactions: JCWP
I run non ethanol Shell 91 octane exclusively. I've always put my cars away with the tanks full and have never had any fuel related problems. These new cars, with different parts might be a whole different animal. Check with your GM service department.
I did: they know squat unfortunately! :Banghead:

Lots of chat and opinions on that too... I always ran full tanks for winter storage. This is the first year I am at less that a quarter but that was as much poor planning as it was design. Not as concerned over condensation build up in tank with plastic tanks. And I never run ethanol gas so the corrosion and water problems with ethanol fuel are not a concern either. Stabil stabilizer, full tank in the spring and away we go again...

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Hmmmmm ....I checked with my Manuel and I quote: "intentas tomar mi Corvette gringo, y corres el riesgo de lastimarte"
I think you're watching too many reruns of Fawlty Towers (although that's not a bad thing) :cool: I just ran your quote through Google Translate & had a good laugh!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.