Casual User
New Brunswick
Sep 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Corvette
Province
NB
I need to replace the ignition switch in my 1999 C5 .can I get a new tumbler and use it with existing switch or buy the whole unit..??
Thanks
Dan

Thanks for the welcome......I believe the tumbler is worn causing intermittent no start.I dont know if I replace just the tumbler or the whole switch.....I dont think Its just a matter of cleaning as I think its worn out....

Is that what you're looking for ?
ado-d1499c_uo_ct.jpg

well ...Ive seen this...but it looks like the tumbler where the key goes is not there....thats what I need.........thanks

I bypassed the VAT system with a resistor..........works fine sometimes but lots of times wont start......have to keep turning key off and on ......10 - 15 times..

Hello Tele, welcome. I went through a dickens of a time with my 91 C4, I am not sure if GM upgraded the VATS in the C5 or not.
In short I tried a key bypass with a switch from Ecklers. It worked for a while then I just got into a situation where you could not trust the car to start. It was the VATS because on turning the key I had no fuel pump or starter. I replaced the ignition tumbler, and that worked for a while, but the problem returned. I finally installed a "New Rockies" Vats bypass. It wasn't cheap and took about a day to install. Problem solved.

Hello Tele, welcome. I went through a dickens of a time with my 91 C4, I am not sure if GM upgraded the VATS in the C5 or not.
In short I tried a key bypass with a switch from Ecklers. It worked for a while then I just got into a situation where you could not trust the car to start. It was the VATS because on turning the key I had no fuel pump or starter. I replaced the ignition tumbler, and that worked for a while, but the problem returned. I finally installed a "New Rockies" Vats bypass. It wasn't cheap and took about a day to install. Problem solved.
I forgot...all was well for a couple of years, then the problem showed up... that last time it was the safety switch on the clutch pedal.
Good luck.

The post made by Link9 is what I think I need ...but Im wondering about the tumbler that comes with it.How do I get my key to work with it ...or what do I have to do...thanks

First you need to buy
AC Delco part D1473D Ignition Lock Cylinder (Attention they don't come with the spring and tumbler or key )

Second ..
You need to go to the dealer and you need to have with you the ( old ignition Lock cylinder / tumbler and your old key ) why so that can coded the new ignition with your old key and they add the spring ...make sure you have a proof of your ownership to show .. it doesn't cost much

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.