Hey folks. I’ve got almost 20k on my car and I think it’s time to change the DCT filter. For anyone that’s done it where did you buy the filter and did you add the 2 extra quarts to the tranny?

Thanks
You know you are supposed to flush the system when you change the filter right?
For anyone not aware it's a procedure that circulates all the DCT fluid through the filter once (at least?)
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it can't be done at home, though I'm also not sure how necessary it is.

Hey folks. I’ve got almost 20k on my car and I think it’s time to change the DCT filter. For anyone that’s done it where did you buy the filter and did you add the 2 extra quarts to the tranny?

Thanks

I've bought my DCT filters from: Genuine GM Parts & Accessories in Canada | Kipp Scott GM Parts (authorized GM parts online wholesaler in Red Deer) but when I last spoke with them on December 6/21 those filters were on back order. I know there's a shortage in many places down in the States as well. You may have to shop around to find one and I'd recommend finding out the price from a wholesaler and asking whomever you're able to purchase one, if they'll match that price (worth a try).

Backlog of DCT filters everywhere. I ordered mine November 9. The additional 2L transmission fluid is for track use (but can be left in).

Thanks
You know you are supposed to flush the system when you change the filter right?
For anyone not aware it's a procedure that circulates all the DCT fluid through the filter once (at least?)
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it can't be done at home, though I'm also not sure how necessary it is.

I didn’t realize. Ok thanks Murray. I was quoted $650 to change the filter and $995 for the transmission service. I was blown away.

I didn’t realize. Ok thanks Murray. I was quoted $650 to change the filter and $995 for the transmission service. I was blown away.
I paid $275 plus HST for transmission flush and filter change (included one liter of trans fluid). 1.9 hours to do trans flush and filter change.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
I paid $275 plus HST for transmission flush and filter change (included one liter of trans fluid). 1.9 hours to do trans flush and filter change.

That is an incredible deal , the filter alone lists for $260

Reactions: Murray20c8
That is an incredible deal , the filter alone lists for $260
Just to be clear, I was quoting the labour only to do the trans flush and change the filter, plus one liter of trans fluid. I had bought the trans filter online for $135 and took that to the dealership.

I am not sure what the full DCT filter and oil service at 72,000km cost (may never get there) but the filter change at 12k km and then every 36k km should be about $170 including shipping and 2 hours labour so maybe $275 labor so I budgeted $500.

Guys, can you please point me at the DCT filter at Genuine GM Parts & Accessories in Canada | Kipp Scott GM Parts? Even by saying corvette 2021 I can't find it.

Also at 12000KM it's only a filter change, correct?

At what KM you have to do a transmission oil flush also?

Go to my post #4 above and click on the highlighted portion to take you to the BuyKippScott website. Then in the "search" area, put your VIN or you can also input the part # for the DCT filter: 24045729. Or call them since they're super friendly/helpful.

At 12,000 km it's a filter change although Murray says they should also do a full flush but then Driver_WT in post #10 above said his dealer only put in a litre of transmission fluid. On another Corvette Forum I've seen others describe only putting in the filter and replacing what little fluid escapes (much less than a litre) from doing that.

Finally, looking at the 2022 C8 manual, pages 296 and 297 say you replace the DCT fluid when the car tells you to or after 3 years, whichever comes first. It goes on to say in Note 4 on page 297 that you also replace the fluid when the cannister filter (presumably the filter itself, since it goes in a cannister) needs replacement, suggesting that Murray is correct that the initial filter change should also see the entire fluid replaced. The mileage for the DCT filter replacement is 12,000, 36,000, 72,000 then 108,000 etc. as shown in the table on page 296. Hope this helps.

Guys, can you please point me at the DCT filter at Genuine GM Parts & Accessories in Canada | Kipp Scott GM Parts? Even by saying corvette 2021 I can't find it.

Also at 12000KM it's only a filter change, correct?

At what KM you have to do a transmission oil flush also?
Here is my order from Kipp Scott
1640879286440.png

back in October 2021.
At 12,000 km, the trans flush is a procedure that does not replace the trans fluid, it only runs it through the filter. You generally need about 0.2 liters of trans fluid to make up that lost during the filter change.

Reactions: Maximus74
At 12,000 km it's a filter change although Murray says they should also do a full flush but then Driver_WT in post #10 above said his dealer only put in a litre of transmission fluid. On another Corvette Forum I've seen others describe only putting in the filter and replacing what little fluid escapes (much less than a litre) from doing that.
There is a trans flush procedure required at 12,000 that does not include replacing the trans fluid, only running it through the filter. This requires manipulation of the trans control unit to open the proper valves during the flush, so it generally has to be done by the dealer

Ya, like @Driver_WT said. You'd think the fluid is continually cycling through the filter so I'm not sure how important it is, just that that is the procedure outlined by Chevrolet

Thanks guys for all the feedback, let me recapitulate to make sure I understand.

Basically there is what the manual says and what is even better to make sure our car stays in top shape.

Manual says:
-Trans Canister filter at 12000, 36000, 72000, 108000, 144000km
-Trans fluid at 72000, 144000km or every 3 years or life indicator in dash... and if close to Canister filter replacement do it also

Better then manual:
-when doing a Trans Canister filter replacement, also ask to do a transmission flush... I guess to clean the oil and put it back in the transmission... this procedure will require to top off the trans fluid because some is lost in the process.

Is my understanding good?
SmartSelect_20210828-101443_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

SmartSelect_20210828-101223_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Better then manual:
-when doing a Trans Canister filter replacement, also ask to do a transmission flush... I guess to clean the oil and put it back in the transmission... this procedure will require to top off the trans fluid because some is lost in the process.

Is my understanding good?
Yes, the only thing I will add is that the trans flush procedure at 12,000 km's is a recent recommendation from GM due to some dirt contamination in the transmission which has the potential to get into the trans valves and cause a trans error code and possibly malfunction. I believe there is a TSB for the trans flush procedure.

Yes, the only thing I will add is that the trans flush procedure at 12,000 km's is a recent recommendation from GM due to some dirt contamination in the transmission which has the potential to get into the trans valves and cause a trans error code and possibly malfunction. I believe there is a TSB for the trans flush procedure.
Makes one wonder just how often the fluid does cycle through the filter. Perhaps it just does it periodically at some defined period.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.