Aug 24, 2010
Halifax,NS
VetteCoins
Car
2004 conv
When applying brakes on my 2004 convertible, there’s vibration in the steering wheel. Car is hardly used and only on sunny days. Checked brakes and rotors, all appear to be fine and lots of life left. I read somewhere that Corvettes are famous for the brake vibration especially in the C 5’s . Has anybody experienced this and how did you overcome the vibration , thanks to those who respond.

I'd bet almost certainly the rotors are warped. Use sometimes doesn't matter. Have they ever been replaced? I've purchased cheap rotors before that warp when they feel like it. lol.
Put the front on jacks, spin the wheels and listen for the pads rubbing. If the sound is not even that would confirm warped rotors.

My previous cars were parked during the winter months, lifted up and sometimes surface rust would develop on the rotors and once I get the car out and use the brakes a few times that surface rust is scrapped off. At no time have I ever experienced any braking vibration or steering wheel shake when the car is back out from winter storage.

straight edge on the brake pads..............dial indicator on the rotors as you turn them by hand, that will ultimately confirm whether the rotors are straight and your pads are not unevenly wearing.

Users who are viewing this thread